For Patrick

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

For Patrick

Post by NicodemustheSage »

In Remembrance of
Patrick Hodges

When I first "met" Patrick, it was online, and, fittingly, it was through the written word -- his, and mine -- that our over 15-year fellowship began.

It was 2005, and at that time I authored a regular column for a Website called 'Fantasy Moguls', that featured writings about the Hollywood film industry and movie reviews, as well as a continuing interactive game in which players ran their own mock movie studios, and competed against each other to put "slates" together and earn money, and other accolades. The site also offered member forums where game participants, casual readers, and movie buffs could engage with each other and with Fantasy Moguls' group of featured writers; and it was in those rich, spirited, sprawling discussions -- which were rarely confined only to entertainment opinions, but quickly broadened to encompass all of life's diverse tapestry of commentary -- that Patrick, who wrote under the 'handle' 'Shryke42', and I first became friendly.

In those years, even moreso than today I think, online forums were a lot like the Wild West -- full of conversations that could quickly turn into confrontations, full of certitude and arrogance, and even in our relatively calm and arguably even sane corner of InterWebs fandom, it was sometimes challenging to keep everyone civil, engaged, and on-topic... 'Challenging', like herding cats is challenging. But among many hundreds of faithful daily contributors, Patrick was instantly special: Always polite, thoughtful, accommodating, respectful, insightful, and oh so very witty -- traits that, I would learn, weren't only his online 'persona', but perfectly reflected his authentic personality, character, and motivating principles. His presence on the 'boards' was civilizing, soothing, elevating; genuinely interested in everyone and in everything they might have to say, ever tolerant, unfailingly collegial, endlessly curious, and, also, consistently hilarious. He was that rarest of intellects, capable of conversing deeply and uniquely on every imaginable subject, eloquent, provocative, inventive, often inspiring, without ever becoming boorish or obnoxious or stale. He spoke to everyone with respect and temperance; he offered his thoughts about everything, without ever giving offense; he made friends with everyone, without once resorting to easy platitudes or abandoning his own perspective. Moreoever, Patrick was kind: He instinctively knew just how to speak with, and not merely talk at, people, how to keep conversations fruitful, what to say in order to craft a memorable -- at times, even, magical -- dialogue satisfying to all participants and observers. Too, he kept everyone gently accountable: Writers, readers, trolls... Including and perhaps especially, himself. He kept us all on our toes, and made it seem as if we were dancing with words.

And, as it happened, Patrick was an astonishingly impactful writer, too.

Some time after he and I became acquainted through the Fantasy Moguls message boards, I held a contest, with the prize being the opportunity to guest-author my next column there. I wasn't at all surprised that Patrick won, by sussing out the identities of my top-ten favorite films -- he never forgave me for insisting on "Starship Troopers" -- but I was left speechless at the quality of work he soon turned in, set free to write in his own authentic, irresistibly enthusiastic, admirably relatable voice. Never before published, Patrick was already an immensely talented wordsmith, one who only needed the opportunity to show his stuff, spread his wings, and launch his prodigious gift into the world. Although I was unable to immediately secure him a 'Featured Columnist' gig of his own, an opportunity presented itself some months later, when I took an extended hiatus from writing to care for a sick family member. Patrick took over for me, instantly establishing himself with a uniquely appealing voice and approach, and quickly made the column his own. (I would later return in a different role.) I am proud to say that Patrick did not only succeed -- he surpassed, in every measurable way. Under his authorship, he built that space into the site's unquestioned premier attraction, and grew ever more confident and mature as a writer, shaping and honing his craft.

But he needed his own nom de plume, and when the time came to select a new name for his writing to appear under, he and I brainstormed together until he chose a moniker worthy of his abilities: 'Shrykespeare'. Under that handle, Patrick would continue to deliver quality content and commentary until the site unfortunately shuttered, some years later... And beyond, as he then took it upon himself to preserve the game, online forums, and devoted community of eager fans and itinerant opinioneers that, in his years of writing for the site, had become far more like an unruly far-flung family, than any mere 'online community'. Because Patrick was much, much more than a writer -- he was a leader, capable of inspiring great goodwill among, and even greater artistic endeavors in, his fellow men (and, women). Under his sure hand, and through his relentless efforts, 'the Fantaverse' not only survived online, but thrived, and to this day exists (now called, 'Reel Society') as a testimony to Patrick's good character, great personality, and surpassing love for his fellow movie and entertainment fans and reviewers -- some of whom have, themselves, gone on to become screenwriters, professional critics, and filmmakers, contributing to the medium he loved so deeply. His legacy stretches all across the world, and the spark he has lit shines on, even more brightly now, than ever.

And it says so much about Patrick, that even though writing was one of the great joys of his life, he enjoyed still more the role he crafted for himself as a friend, confidante, encourager, counselor, and mentor, and as he moved with surety into a mature career as a bestselling and award-winning author, he advocated tirelessly for the rising generation of writers whose efforts he helped to inspire and shape: Creating communities of established and aspiring talents, offering to edit manuscripts, and carefully planting and tending a creative garden whose blooms and fruits are germinating still. Many times, in the later years of his too-short life, Patrick spoke of his love for nurturing new voices, and counseling them as they took their first steps into a new world of expression, creativity, and belonging that he himself had only begun to explore.

However... I digress.

Have I mentioned, yet, what an amazing writer Patrick was? He drew from his own, sometimes unlovely life experiences, leavening the hard-earned wisdom and singular gravity of a difficult youth with winning charm and winsome empathy, and above all an unconquerable belief in the goodness of people. He created stories of compassion, resilience, heroism, justice, and love, harnessing his hurts and sharing his heart with the world entire. His tales -- of bullied teens, magical realms, supernatural oddities -- were of ordinary people thrust into impossible situations, whose unflagging spirits and unyielding courage wrought beautiful triumphs from the ugly wreckage of tragedy, misfortune, and loss. His heroes, like Patrick himself, exhibited uncommon virtue, nobility, patience, temperance, and grace... As well as a capacity for forgiveness forged, like steel, in fire. Patrick's protagonists didn't wear capes, or uniforms, or armor. They wore their hearts on their sleeves, a knowing smile on their faces, and the weight of the world on their improbably broad and capable shoulders. They rescued themselves, and their friends, and their worlds, too, with grace and wit and a quiet stubborn insistence on seeing the best in all things, in all times, and in all people.

...Just like Patrick.

And, even now, there's so much more to be said about my great good friend, Patrick, who I variously called "Shrykey", or "Shrykester", or, when he was feeling particularly tolerant of my nonsense, "Shrykey-pooh": His questing intelligence and his capacity for learning was as limitless as his goodwill and good nature. He was a nationally competitive 'Scrabble' player, a keen and clear-eyed observer of human truth, a committed giver of his time and perspective and passion. He was a peerless lover of music -- he had just begun a new countdown of his top-rated songs, when he passed earlier this year. He loved his wife, Vaneza, his mother, Karen, and his sister, Allison, more than anything else in the world. Patrick was a proud brother, and a devoted son... And he was my great good friend, as well as a friend and ally and advocate for so, so many others whose lives he touched, and enlivened, and enriched. He was the first person to call me the night my father died, the first person I wanted to hear from every time a new movie came out, and just about the last person I ever wanted to write a tribute like this for.

And, through it all, he was so very, very courageous, fighting the good fight for so many years against dread disease, and somehow managing to smile and joke and be silly throughout all of it, good times and bad, good news and bad, good prognoses, and bad. He inspired so many with his characteristic graciousness, his humility, and his unending senses of wonder and appreciation and optimism.

And, for all this, we only met the one time in this world -- in Austin, along with our friends and fellow Fantaversians Nic and Alyson, at the original Alamo Drafthouse. Patrick and I kept making, and then postponing, hopeful plans to visit each other, in Dallas and Phoenix... But life, as it will, had its say. Sadly, I am not able to travel to deliver this remembrance of Patrick in person... But I hope it will adequately express my great gratitude for the life of Patrick Hodges... And my great sorrow at his passing.

Many years ago, upon the death of one of Patrick's best friends who was also a great lover of film, I consoled him with the hope that they would reunite in Heaven, in front of a 50-story IMAX screen with galactically powerful THX Surround Sound, and unlimited popcorn and boxed candy and ever-full sodas. Patrick, my great good friend, keep a seat in the balcony open for your old pal Nico. I'll be there before the previews end.

Our friendship was such an unlikely thing, Shrykey; in a million different realities, it could only happen once... But it happened. And I am and always will be so, so grateful it did.

My love and sympathies to Patrick's family, friends, and fellow creators.

I remain, as always...

Rick Cromack ("Nicodemus the Sage"; "Nico")
Allen, Texas

August 19, 2023
I remain, as always.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: For Patrick

Post by numbersix »

Very moving words, Nico, thank you for sharing.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Beautiful tribute Nico. Glad you shared it with us
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

:cry:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Beautiful words. Sad to hear this.

Miss all you guys. Wishing yall all the best!