Honoring Shrykespeare

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Honoring Shrykespeare

Post by numbersix »

Hi Guys, I see it would have been Patrick's/Shryke's 53rd [EDIT: 54th] birthday today.

It's a good time to check in and see if we're still up for doing something in honour of him? I'd like to continue doing the Songs of the Year list, but is there anything else?

We mentioned a Top films of the 80s list, for example.
Last edited by numbersix on August 17th, 2023, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Honoring Shrykespeare

Post by JohnErle »

Keeping the song countdown going every year is a nice way to honor his memory, but without his organizational skills we'll really need someone to step up and volunteer to do the grunt work if we're going to do something like an 80s film list. I just glanced at my letterboxd diary and there's an awful lot of nostalgic 5-star favourites to choose from.

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

An 80's film list and continuing the year-end song countdowns are the perfect tributes to him. Regarding the 80's list, I think the trickiest part would be determining the number. Considering it's a whole decade worth of movies, 25 might not be enough, but 50 could be too many.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

One thing we all remember about Shryke was that no list was ever too long.

I could easily do 100 films from the 80s while still leaving some good ones off the list, but a massive three-month long countdown was usually too much for me. Maybe we could compromise and do a month-long top 30 countdown, then people can list as many as they want when they reveal their #1.

And wherever that last massive movie countdown we did is on this site, someone could cobble together Shyrke's top 30 picks from the 80s on that list.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I've seen about 300 movies from the 80s so was thinking 50 from the 80s, but 30 is a managable amount.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I would love to do something in honor of his memory. I'm not sure I could organize the list, but 30 films sounds like a good amount.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
August 17th, 2023, 2:26 pm
I've seen about 300 movies from the 80s so was thinking 50 from the 80s, but 30 is a manageable amount.
This makes me feel considerably better about only having seen roughly 120 80's movies! 50 would be no problem for me since I've had the luxury of cherry-picking the "best" stuff from the era since I wasn't around for it, but I agree that 30 is more manageable.

I also have no problem volunteering to run the countdown. How does a start sometime next month sound for everyone? Maybe somewhere around the 15th-18th to give everybody a fair amount of time to put their lists together?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:
August 17th, 2023, 2:26 pm
I've seen about 300 movies from the 80s so was thinking 50 from the 80s, but 30 is a managable amount.
I have about 300 rated on letterboxd/imdb, but that's probably only scratching the surface of what I've actually seen. I've got more than 100 rated four stars or better, so it'll be tough to pare down the list to something more manageable.
transformers2 wrote:
August 17th, 2023, 2:54 pm

I also have no problem volunteering to run the countdown. How does a start sometime next month sound for everyone? Maybe somewhere around the 15th-18th to give everybody a fair amount of time to put their lists together?
That works for me.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I think a start next month is a good idea.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/