Three Musketeers Cast

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Three Musketeers Cast

Post by silversurfer19 »

How does a director have his career killed by a movie nobody has even heard of? I mean, was it ever even released in any sort of wide capacity at all to cause this? Especially considering the director of Sexy Beast probably killed his own career with Birth anyway, which was released a full 5 years before What Goes Up. Just because they have a similar name doesn't mean one has had any impact on the other. PTA and PWA are at least well known enough to confuse their names.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

What Goes Up had some familiar names in the cast (Steve Coogan, Molly Shannon, Hilary Duff*) and critics trashed it (about 3% on Rotten Tomatoes). The film's reputation was so bad that it was only given a regional release and came to DVD a month later.

Hollywood takes notice of these things and someone's career may be wrongly killed as a result. In this case, a simple letter killed it.

*- But then again, would you expect anything with Hilary Duff to be good?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

What Goes Up was actually a great movie. I loved it and don't really see why others didn't.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Buscemi wrote:What Goes Up had some familiar names in the cast (Steve Coogan, Molly Shannon, Hilary Duff*) and critics trashed it (about 3% on Rotten Tomatoes). The film's reputation was so bad that it was only given a regional release and came to DVD a month later.

Hollywood takes notice of these things and someone's career may be wrongly killed as a result. In this case, a simple letter killed it.

*- But then again, would you expect anything with Hilary Duff to be good?
You still haven't answered my question though. Was Jonathan Glazer's career not killed more by his own movies than a movie which was directed by a guy who had a similar name 5 years later? What had he been doing for the 5 years between the release of Birth and What Goes Up? Directing a number of movies which were shelved as soon as What Goes Up was released? I don't think so. His career was already dead and he had returned to doing music videos.

And surely if Hollywood is taking so much interest in such things, they would know that the director is a completely different guy?

I think you have just jumped the gun on this one and have looked for any director who has a similar name to another. In the PTA PWA case, it rings true, but in this case I don't see it.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I don't think Birth killed Jonathan Glazer's career. Music video directors often take long leaves of absences from the film industry and Glazer is no exception. But unlike a Spike Jonze or a Mark Romanek, Glazer's return may be a little harder than expected.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:I don't think Birth killed Jonathan Glazer's career. Music video directors often take long leaves of absences from the film industry and Glazer is no exception.
No, I think you're misinformed. Often what happens is that music video directors get their first opportunity to direct a movie, and then it takes years for their next project to get off the ground (or, when one of their films doesn't do well, it again takes a long time to get financing unless it's a sure-fire genre pic). So what happens is they make a few more ads for the money alone. They don't take leave of absences, they're just developing. I'm sure Glazer signed up for a few projects that never emerged, and now Under the Skin is in the works.

And the idea of his career being ruined by a little-known film that got slated by a director with a similar name is utterly preposterous, and you better have some evidence to back that up.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

numbersix wrote:
Buscemi wrote:I don't think Birth killed Jonathan Glazer's career. Music video directors often take long leaves of absences from the film industry and Glazer is no exception.
No, I think you're misinformed. Often what happens is that music video directors get their first opportunity to direct a movie, and then it takes years for their next project to get off the ground (or, when one of their films doesn't do well, it again takes a long time to get financing unless it's a sure-fire genre pic). So what happens is they make a few more ads for the money alone. They don't take leave of absences, they're just developing. I'm sure Glazer signed up for a few projects that never emerged, and now Under the Skin is in the works.

And the idea of his career being ruined by a little-known film that got slated by a director with a similar name is utterly preposterous, and you better have some evidence to back that up.
Lol.. It's Buscemi you're talking to here, the only evidence he has is:

- His opinion
- Dennises opinion

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Leave my friends out of it, please.

BarcaRulz
The Genie

Post by BarcaRulz »

Buscemi wrote:Leave my friends out of it, please.
I didn't say anything about her, i'm just saying you state your opinion and the opinions of people you know as fact. Care to share your insider-info about how similar names nearly wrecked someones career?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Here is one case: Peter Lorre. There was a guy in the industry who changed his name to Peter Lorre Jr. in an attempt to get people to notice him and make people think he was Peter Lorre's son. Eventually, the guy's interest in creating a name for himself by stealing another's fame and appearing in mediocre movies got his ass sued by the estate of Peter Lorre. The estate won and Peter Lorre Jr. wasn't allowed to tarnish the image of Peter Lorre after that.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That story bears no relation to the Johnathan Glazer one for a number of reasons that we all know, and surely I don't have to point out?

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Also name confusion is something occurs in general. For example, you've heard of people mistakenly getting bills and things that don't belong to them because of the same name or the similar name. Hell, I bet many of us have experienced this at some point or another.

People can look at someone's name and get the wrong impression because of something that ANOTHER person did that wasn't as good. This is why there are organizations in Hollywood (such as the SAG, the DGA and the WGA) that prevent such a thing. In this case, something slipped through the cracks. I don't know if it will happen now but it will happen eventually. I guess I just jumped the gun here.

Now can we return to the Three Musketeers conversation?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hmm... I won't use the word "crazy," but far fetched works well. Like I always say, film is a business first and they're going to do whatever they can to make money. Your career is tarnished if you can't make them money. I highly doubt that a film that I've never heard of getting panned by critics affecting someone that the director's name is in close proximity to. If it's a big budget film that flops and a large part of the movie going crowd actually thinks you had something to do with it, that's one thing... But people that do this as a living mixing up two people for a decade is another.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.