Best of 2022 So Far

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Best of 2022 So Far

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 5:58 am
My rule is always by year of first public release anywhere in the world. I see beyond the borders of my own country
But if you follow that rule, Six, there are films you never list as your favorite of the year while they actually are, no ?
If you take Playground, released in two countries you don't live in last year, and which was selected in festivals, but you actually see it in 2022. You consider it's a 2021 film so you don't list it now. But you hadn't seen it in 2021 so you didn't list it then (it's an example, maybe with you've seen it in a festival in 2021, but you get my point). So in the end, it's one of your favorite films of the year, but you didn't put it on your list in 2021 and you won't in 2022. :?:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Playground is in my Top 20 of 2021.

I assure my demented logic is at least consistent!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 8:08 am
As I said, none of them had a public commercial screening until this year.

Festivals don't count. Hell, you even have filmmakers reediting their film after a fest screening.
Shit my bad man :lol: I should've waited until I was completely awake to give a smart-ass response to that post. My reading comprehension is clearly pretty shaky at 7:30 AM
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 8:19 am

Like I said, Playground is just an exemple. What do you do when you haven't seen the year before, in a festival, a film that has Playground's profile in terms of release ?
Like if you had seen Playground only in April this year ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 9:17 am
numbersix wrote:
July 2nd, 2022, 8:19 am

Like I said, Playground is just an exemple. What do you do when you haven't seen the year before, in a festival, a film that has Playground's profile in terms of release ?
Like if you had seen Playground only in April this year ?
It would still be a 2021 film for me, even if I saw it this year, as it got its first public release that year.

Just like when I see a film this year that was released in 1966- it's not a film from 2022!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It sure is a 2021 film. I just prefer to make my "favorite of the year" lists with films that have been released that year and that I have seen that year, it's easier and more acutely reflects the films I have actually seen. And yeah, I am lazy to check which year it was released in its origin country :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I figured I'd post my Best of 2022 list here after posting my Top 10 on the Letterboxd Facebook page.

Here's my full 9 and 10/10 list.

https://letterboxd.com/buscemi1/list/best-of-2022/
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

The Inspection is really underrated. It tells a very powerful story that hasn't really been told before and the performances from Jeremy Pope and Gabrielle Union are tremendous. Hopefully more people will check it out in the future.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Updated List of favourite films of 2022

Hit the Road
You Won't Be Alone
Triangle of Sadness
The Banshees of Inisherin
Ali and Ava
Decision to Leave
The Beasts
Emily the Criminal
Holy Spider
After Yang
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Burning Days
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Stranger
Nope

Still to see Tar, The Whale, Women Talking, and All the Beauty and the Bloodshed

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm not really understanding all of the praise All the Beauty and the Bloodshed is getting. I saw a trailer a while back and to me, it looked like a made-for-TV thing. Also, I'm not sure if a well-off and famous person is the best figure to be telling us about the opioid crisis.

Maybe I'll eventually watch it on Hulu but I can't see it topping last year's Jacinta, in my opinion.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
January 1st, 2023, 8:01 am
Updated List of favourite films of 2022

Hit the Road
You Won't Be Alone
Triangle of Sadness
The Banshees of Inisherin
Ali and Ava
Decision to Leave
The Beasts
Emily the Criminal
Holy Spider
After Yang
Marcel the Shell with Shoes On
Burning Days
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Stranger
Nope

Still need to see Tar, The Whale, Women Talking, and All the Beauty and the Bloodshed
Was surprised you hadn't seen this yet until I went on IMDb and discovered that it not only hasn't opened in the UK, it's yet to open anywhere outside of the US and Canada. Universal is really taking their sweet ass time with the international rollout for this one (and The Fabelmans for that matter)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Over here it's tradition to release the awards films in Jan and Feb so that distributors can use the awards to promote the film. Hence Tar and Fablemans in Jan, The Whale and Women Talking in Feb.

Makes it frustrating for someone like me who is gagging to see films for months.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
January 1st, 2023, 12:30 pm
Over here it's tradition to release the awards films in Jan and Feb so that distributors can use the awards to promote the film. Hence Tar and Fablemans in Jan, The Whale and Women Talking in Feb.

Makes it frustrating for someone like me who is gagging to see films for months.
I knew that was the case with the titles that release between late November and December in the US, but the 3+ month wait for TAR is wild. The festival chiefs in Europe have to be giddy about that staggered release strategy. You're basically guaranteed to sell out every screening when something is confirmed to not be playing again in a theater in the country for another 3-5 months.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

eOne got the international rights to The Fabelmans, as Amblin retains international on their titles and pre-sells those for financing purposes.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The long wait between the release in the US and Europe may sometimes seem wild today, but honestly it's nothing compared to what it used to be before the age of Internet, which left no choice to distribs but to release the films sooner because of piracy. But I remeber in the 90's, it was all too common to have to wait months to get even the blockbusters that today are always released day-and-date everywhere in the world, at least in the West.
I remember The Phantom Menace was released in France in October 99, a full 5 months after the US. The wait was killing.
Fluctuat nec mergitur