Awards 2022

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Re: Awards 2022

Post by transformers2 »

Well clearly you didn't do enough reading because the Snydercut isn't eligible for the exact reasons you stated. The 300 clowns in the Snydercut cult won't shut up about it on Twitter
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The article I read mentioning its inclusion didn't note the ineligibility, only pointing out that it was a top votegetter. But I was in the waiting room at a law office while reading it so I couldn't go into the rabbit hole of SnyAnon.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

SAG Winners:
Best Ensemble: CODA
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Will Smith, King Richard
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Troy Kotsur, CODA
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story

Per usual for the SAG, it was a mix of expected (Smith, DeBose) and downright shocking (CODA, Chastain) winners. Chastain's win in particular has a chance to further muddy an already wide-open Best Actress race.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Has anyone seen Spencer? If Stewart wins I genuinely don't know what to say... the performance is pure caricature and unintentionally hilarious.

So fingers crossed Kidman or Chastain or anyone else wins.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Chastain nomination makes absolutely no sense to me. Hardly anyone saw the film and there were probably five to ten more worthy performances than hers.

Makes me wonder if Disney bought the nomination or a lot of voters didn't watch most of the movies and just picked what GoldDerby had as the favorites before the official announcement.

Related to films few saw, I feel like only boomers bothered with Being the Ricardos as they seemed to be the only ones that praised it while others ignored it or panned it as Sorkin self-indulgence.

As for Stewart, the Academy loves caricature. Look at how many ridiculous performances (*cough*Melissa Leo in The Fighter*cough*) won that probably shouldn't have been nominated.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
February 28th, 2022, 2:15 pm
Has anyone seen Spencer? If Stewart wins I genuinely don't know what to say... the performance is pure caricature and unintentionally hilarious.

So fingers crossed Kidman or Chastain or anyone else wins.
Yes. Jackie covered similar thematic territory in more emotionally resonant fashion, but I still found it to be a fascinating, beautifully shot/acted fantastical interpretation of Diana's status as a reluctant public figure, anxiety about divorcing Charles and reclaiming her identity outside of the Royal family. Stewart's odds have tanked over the past couple months, so you probably don't have to worry about her home taking home the Oscar. Barring some really wild shit happening during the voting period, it seems like it's heading towards a 3-way showdown between Kidman, Chastain and Colman.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

In previous years, Spencer would have been a Best Picture nominee and Stewart would be running away with all of the awards. Critics loved the film, UK history is always a popular subject among filmgoers, and the Academy would normally go wild over a filmmaker like Larrain.

What happened? For one, Neon seemingly didn't push the film, focusing instead on The Worst Person in the World, another film from a consistently overpraised director. Also, there's still many in the industry not liking Stewart for being unconventional and daring to admit the Twilight movies were an "in it for the money" role. Or maybe those familiar with Larrain are just tired of him making well-made but ultimately empty films designed to please critics. But any other year, this is a big awards film over say, Don't Look Up (debate: is Adam McKay the worst director to have multiple Best Picture nominees?).

In the end, we will ultimately view this Oscars as a dull affair with little to be thankful for. There's been no positive publicity, between planning to show categories as edited drop-ins to save time (instead of dropping the featurettes and performances that add nothing to the show) and the whole debacle over the Most Popular Movie category designed in an obvious attempt to boost what will certainly be terrible viewership numbers, and we know the winner (which will likely be either Overlong 1883 Episode or Dune: The Force Awakens) will be something that wouldn't have been even nominated in previous years but modern movies are designed solely for studio executives who care less about quality and more about the bottom line.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I too thought Spencer had a good chance of being nominated.... until I actually saw it. It's a heavily surrealist character study with borderline psychological horror undertones that openly presents itself as historical fiction opposed to a straight biopic (obviously there's plenty of creative licensee taken on a normal biopic, but it's not too often you see something admittedly that it's not specifically based on true events) and there's just no way in hell that the Academy would honor something like that in this or any other year.

Not handing all the awards on the live broadcast is total bullshit. On top of the very clear disrespect it shows to the people in the categories not being presented, cutting time from the show is going to do absolutely nothing to up the ratings. The Oscars are geared toward a niche audience these days and the broadcasters along with the show producers just need to learn to accept this.

The fan favorite thing on the other hand is high comedy. The prospect of Cinderella potentially winning something that was clearly engineered to honor MCU movie people liked the most from the given year (which in this case would be No Way Home) is simply perfect.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Some takeaways from the BAFTA's and Critics Choice Awards last night:

-The Power of the Dog's pair of Best Picture win is a good sign for its Oscar chances, but there's still a realistic chance that it loses.

-Will Smith, Troy Kotsur and Ariana DeBose are all virtual locks at this point.

-Jessica Chastain's Critic's Choice win should solidify her as the narrow frontrunner for the Best Actress Oscar.

-Best Cinematography appears to be a coin flip between Greig Fraser and Ari Wegner.

-Belfast probably isn't going to win anything.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I guess this solidifies that awards voters are the only people that saw CODA or The Eyes of Tammy Faye and half of the people that saw King Richard.

And if Dune wins Best Cinematography, it shows that the whole "make everything as underlit as possible" trend will not go away any time soon. The Power of the Dog is a more deserving winner but the ASC might pull what they did last year and get voters to vote against the non-ASC member.

Belfast was done as soon as Focus decided to open wide immediately. A smart distributor would have opened limited and expanded slowly. This was not a wide-appealed film, even with the Toronto win.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well this year's Oscars was a real slap in the face to decency and taste.

CODA was nice but underwhelming, and its weakness was in its script which is why winning an Adapted Screenplay oscar is very odd. Similarly, Belfast's script has some really clunky lines and moments, so it's confusing to see this rewarded for Original Script. The Power of the Dog doesn't exaclty feel like an Oscar movie but I would have preferred to see that win over most other nominees.

I've still to see Tammy Faye, King Bitch-Slap-Hard, and West Side Story, so can't comment on those performances.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Something I noticed yesterday: Belfast is almost the exact same movie as Billy Elliot. Main character is an impressionable young boy? Check. Set during a conflict that depresses an area in the UK? Check. Soundtrack filled with a single musician's discography? Check. Events in the story proceed to influence his future as an artist? Check. Kid's parental situation either has been or is about to be broken apart by a major rift? Check. The only major difference seems to be that the kid in Belfast didn't have Julie Walters as a mentor with a hard exterior.

Sure, the script did win other awards but I have a feeling this might have been to spite Paul Thomas Anderson yet again, even though Licorice Pizza is easily his worst screenplay. Had that not been written by an American auteur, the boomer voters would have been all over it like they were Almost Famous, its music-based big brother.

So what is it about 2021 Oscar nominees seemingly copying Oscar nominees from 2000?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

-CODA's win is still a bit strange since it seemed like it was DOA as recently as last month, but I guess the Academy deserves credit for following through on their intentions to reward a hopeful, crowdpleaser year. Once I force myself to sign up for Apple TV+ at some point this year, I'll give it a watch.

-Acting winners are all fine by me. Smith gave the best performance of his career to date in King Richard, Chastain carried a decent, but ultimately underdeveloped biopic on her shoulders and DeBose was at the center of nearly all of the most effective dramatic moments in West Side Story.

-Very happy to see Summer of Soul, Billie Eilish and Finneas, Greig Fraser, Joe Walker, Jenny Bevan and the Dune sound/VFX crew take home their awards.

-The presentation of the fan favorite awards was fucking hilarious. Watching the room react with complete and total confusion over a moment from the final fight in the Snydercut and Army of the Dead being "honored" by the Academy was incredible, so kudos to the Snydercut trolls for actually doing something worthwhile online for once.

-Outside of the Smith/Rock slap heard round the world, the awards may've been the least drama-filled they've ever been. There wasn't an Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman or Moonlight-esque surprise to be found here as everything basically went according to plan.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'm actually sorry I missed The Bitchslap Awards last night.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

No you're not. The meme is already old and the total product was the inanimate carbon rod scene from The Simpsons played straight.

You were better off watching Saint Peter's bubble burst.