Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2021

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
John Rambo

Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2021

Post by transformers2 »

Goes without saying that the theatrical portion of the slate could be blown up at any time, but let's pretend that there's no chance that everything won't be able to go without a hitch for a moment.

10.Prisoners of the Ghostland
9.Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
8.Kate
7.Dune
6.Halloween Kills
5.No Time to Die
4.The King's Man
3.The Harder They Fall
2.Last Night in Soho
1.Don't Look Up

Fully Intend on Seeing:
Wild Indian
The Card Counter
Malignant
Best Sellers
Copshop
Cry Macho
The Eyes of Tammy Faye
The Nowhere Inn
The Guilty
Titane
Mass
Venom: Let There Be Carnage
Passing
Army of Thieves
Eternals
Spencer
Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Red Notice
King RIchard
Bruised
Encanto
Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City
House of Gucci
Nightmare Alley
A Journal for Jordan
Spider-Man: Far from Home
The Matrix: Resurrections

Might See:
Worth
Queenpins
Intrusion
The Starling
There's Someone Inside Your House
The Last Duel
Night Teeth
Antlers
The Power of the Dog
The Hand of God
The Unforgiveable
The Tragedy of Macbeth
Last edited by transformers2 on September 1st, 2021, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Most Anticipated Films of Fall 2021

Post by numbersix »

Thanks for the reminder, Tranny.

Here's mine, although there are loads of undates films which should come out around this time, like Drive My Car, The Souvenir Pt 2, Pleasure, etc.

Already seen and like: Mogul Mowgli, Wild Indian, Petite Maman

Maybes: The Card Counter, Prisoners of the Ghostland, Passing, Bad Luck Banging, Mass, Antlers

10: The Many Saints of Newark
Movies are becoming TV shows, so it's time to get revenge. I've doubts about Gandolfini's son as an actor, but it'll be interesting to return to The Sopranos world, even if it's a prequel.

9: Benedetta
It's Verhoven and lesbian nuns! I hope it's more like the clever and witty Elles and Black Book than Showgirls, but we'll see.

8: Lamb
The odd trailer and the great reviews makes this an intriguing one.

7: Nightmare Alley
Not a huge amount of info, but it's Del toro directing a psychologicl thriller starring Cate blanchett, Bradley Cooper, Willem dafoe, Rooney Mara, and Toni Colette, so keen to see what this is all about.

6:Parallel Mothers
Almodovar's last few films were underwhelming... except for his last feature Pain and Glory which was actually one of his best, and stuck with me months after watching. There's always something in marvel in his films.

5: Last Night in Soho
Wasn't exactly blown away by the trailer, but I do enjoy Edgar Wright's visual style, even if the film itself doesn't quite work. I suspect this Giallo-influenced film will do that.

4: The French Dispatch
It's Wes Anderson, so always a must. Plus it has every actor in the world, so I can just sit back and let the quirky humour and pastel colours do its job on this anthology movie.

3: The Hand of God
Set in one of my favourite cities in the world, Sorrentino's ode to Napoli seems more like The Great Beauty in style and scope. A film-makers whose movies must be seen ont he big screen, sadly this is Netflix only, so I'll just sit close to my TV screen.

2: Dune
I've rewatched the Lynch version (on 4k BLu Ray, no less), I've read the script for this version, and even if it turns out to be underwhelming I'm just excited to see how one of my favourite books as a teen is realised on the big screen.

1: Titane
Not only is this the Palm D'Or winner of this year's bumper Cannes film festival, but it's Julia Ducournau's 2nd feature, her first being Raw which is one of my favourite films of the 2010s. This sounds insane (and looks insane 2 from the cryptic teaser that came out. If there is one film I MUST see this year, it's without doubt this.
Last edited by numbersix on September 1st, 2021, 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Shit, I forgot about Mowgli Mowgli-which is especially embarrassing since it comes out in the US on Friday! And I had the same problem with undated films. There's some streaming titles of both the awards contender (Being the Ricardos) and Netflix blockbuster persuasion (Escape from Spiderhead, The Bubble) as well as a whole cluster of A24 productions (Red Rocket, C'mon C'mon, The Humans, the aforementioned Pleasure) that could make their way to a screen over the next 4 months that I'm intrigued by.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The A24 production I'm most interested in is The Whale, which would seem like a big comeback film for both Aronofsky and Brendan Fraser, but I have a feeling it's likely coming next year and possibly as an Apple release.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Not sure where to put this,, but...

Is it just me, or is there no good horror films coming out this October? The new Halloween is allegedly awful, and Antlers seems like it's being dumped (though reviews have been okay so far)? Scream and The Black Phone look better already than any of the horror this year.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Last Night in Soho's going to get overhyped by Edgar Wright's fans, even if it's ignored by everyone else.

The Beta Test, opening a week after Halloween, is getting decent reviews but I wasn't a fan of the director's last film and I'm expecting more of the same here.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

I'm not sure I would call that an outright horror film - it looks closer to Bad Times... than Suspiria. But I agree it is likely to be overrated somewhat.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The trailers are selling it as straight horror and Taylor-Joy is no stranger to the genre. And Wright's been wanting to do that big horror film ever since he directed that Don't fake trailer for Grindhouse.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Just so ya know, there is no Fall here ;)

10. Venom
Based on the huge success, the casting of Woody Harrelson and the glimpse of future Marvel

9. Ascension
I enjoyed the award winning doc American Factory, this goes one step deeper into the mind of a Chinese worker

8. Ron's Gone Wrong
This has nothing to do with the title, nothing at all

7. Last Night in Soho
Edgar Wright basically. I recently watched the first few episodes of Spaced

6. Nightmare Alley
Great cast, and want to see why Leo Di Caprio dropped out. Wonder if this will change my opinion on Bradley Cooper, prob not but eh

5. The King's Man
The sequel to Kingmans was meh, after making such a big splash with the original, have high hopes for this

4. Benedetta
Like six said, Lesbians+Nuns+Verhoven, sign me up! And i hope there is a slice of Showgirls in there, with a dash of Robocop?

3. No Time to Die
Been hearing this is slightly underwhelming for a cap off to Daniel Craig's James Bond, im still looking forward to it, alot

2. The Matrix 4
Would probably be number 1 if the other half of the Wachowski team was there along with Larry Fishburne, Hugo Weaving and Joe Pantoliano.

1. Dune
I still haven't watched the 80s version. I did however, watch Jodorowsky's Dune this year and that blew me away (it influenced Star Wars). Then you have one of the Top 5 (imo) directors of today getting this one to the big screen. Oh and this is only the first half!? Yeah gonna have to see this on the biggest and loudest screen i can find! :D
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Screen203 wrote:
October 17th, 2021, 6:29 pm
Not sure where to put this,, but...

Is it just me, or is there no good horror films coming out this October? The new Halloween is allegedly awful, and Antlers seems like it's being dumped (though reviews have been okay so far)? Scream and The Black Phone look better already than any of the horror this year.
How you feel about Halloween Kills will most likely depend on how much your enjoyment of Halloween films is dictated by its ability to replicate the atmosphere John Carpenter created with the original and Jamie Lee Curtis' presence. I thought the nastier approach to killing Michael Myers takes after narrowly escaping death in the last one and what it had to say about Myers breeding a cycle of violence within Haddonfield made it work despite its narrative flaws (mostly related to the uneven tie-ins to the original), increase in some of the weaker elements of the 2018 version (the oddly placed strictly comedic scenes, characters stupid decisionmaking) and silly ending, but I get why the response has been so polarizing.

As for the October horror slate, Halloween Kills likely scared off any other studio from dating something there. The market was being viewed as severely compromised as recently as last month and throwing some "major" completed film like Resident Evil: Welcome to Racoon City, The Devil's Light or The Black Phone into the mix with an established juggernaut just doesn't make any sense when you're not sure if people are going to show up to see it (particularly with The Black Phone since that's also a Universal/Blumhouse production).

And I also wouldn't write off the month before Antlers and Last Night in Soho are released (although from what I've heard about Soho makes it seem like more of a psychological thriller than a straight horror). I know you've mentioned before that you're not a fan of Edgar Wright, but early word on both has been good so far.

Finally, I have to strongly disagree with your statement general quality of the horror offerings this year. The Night House and Malignant are two of the more satisfying and ambitious projects that I've seen come out of the genre in recent years, and A Quiet Place Part II is a major triumph in sequel filmmaking.