Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Coronavirus Megathread

Post by Spectre »

Feels like we've had a bunch of discussions and notes in various places on the forum so I thought it would make sense to put it all in the same place.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by Spectre »

AMC announced today that they're restricting attendance to 50 people in all theaters. Coming after the NYC and LA closings it doesn't exactly surprise me but I wonder how long they'll be open at all.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It should be soon, hopefully.
Things are going crazy quick here in France.
A week ago, attendance was restricted to 1 000 people in a single closed venue.
Friday, it was restricted to 100 people.
Sunday at midnight, all the cinemas, theaters, bars, restaurants were closed for an undisclosed time.

Today I went to work, and my company sent back home with their professional computer the people who were necessary to keep the magazines running, and it's a lot of us. And I'm not talking about a mobile computer, but a huge iMac, I went home with it in a taxi. And we are ordered to work from home for as long as necessary.

Tonight, President Macron will speak on TV, and we're all expecting him to announce a complete national confinement, like in Italy. We'll only be able to get out to get food, and for those who are necessary to work outside, go work (medical personnel, stuff like that). And the rumor says the confinement will be 45 days at least.
I'm already feeling like we're living in a Hollywood film.
For the next 45 days, I might only get out of my appartment 3 or 4 times to get supplies. It's crazy.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Wow, crazy.

Here, the plan is....

Nothing.

Older folk are advised to stay at home. That's it.

Cinemas are still playing movies. I'm going to Bacarau tonight, although after that I think I'll avoid cinemas for a while.

I suspect this "strategy" is going to make us as bad as Italy real soon.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

People in these parts are (thankfully) taking the threat of spreading it to a catastrophic level seriously for the most part. The Massachusetts governor mandated last night that all bars and restaurants be takeout or delivery only starting tomorrow for at least the next 2 weeks. Most, if not all schools in the state either today or last Friday. Everyone that I know that is able to work from home currently is. All of the chain movie theaters are still open, but that's likely going to change soon after NYC and LA closed everything down.
Last edited by transformers2 on March 16th, 2020, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

On the movie front, Universal is the first distributor to change their release strategy given the epidemic. Starting Friday, you can rent The Invisible Man The Hunt and Emma for 48 hours through on demand video services for $20. Trolls World Tour will be available on April 10th, regardless of the status of the theaters.
Last edited by transformers2 on March 16th, 2020, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

I'm in Ohio in the US which is nice because our governor is pretty much leading the nation in terms of proactive response to all this. People are being so dumb about following the guidelines being laid out that you pretty much have to force them to stay home. All our restaurants and bars are closed except for takeout, public gatherings are restricted and I'm assuming more will follow.

Crazy to see this happening in reality.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well, Macron spoke, and it's pretty much what we expected, except for now the confinement is for 2 week only, but that will be extended for sure.
So I'm confined at home, from tomorrow at 12pm, for 2 week at least.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chien will finally have to watch Netflix ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll let you guys know if I do ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Yeah, like six everything is carrying on as per usual here at the moment. Just been to see The Hunt in the cinema; completely empty bar myself. Now at the local supermarket doing our first shop since the world went to shit. Most of the shelves are empty, but must be a consequence of the generally good diet we eat that I got everything on my list!

Waiting for everything to shut down probably in the next week when schools break up. Seems Boris is hoping we will all eventually spread the virus to each other and cull the infection quickly. As was a quote in the film I saw this evening, not sure if it's the smart acting dumb or the dumb acting smart...

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Regal closing everything starting tomorrow. That was fast...

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Seems Boris is hoping we will all eventually spread the virus to each other and cull the infection quickly. As was a quote in the film I saw this evening, not sure if it's the smart acting dumb or the dumb acting smart...
Yeah I heard today about Boris' strategy, that's one hell of a huge risk to take, I'm glad we're going for Another tactic here...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I figured Regal would shut down. I was there on Sunday and they seemed to be preparing for a May reopening.

My local arthouse closed today per CDC request while I'm still waiting for an Alamo Drafthouse announcement (I have a couple of tickets and Season Pass which will be refunded if a closure happens).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The three indie theatres I care about in Vancouver all announced they were shutting down today. Hopefully they won't go bankrupt before this is all over.