Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by Chienfantome »

We did buy a few baguettes and froze them so we don't have to go to the bakery every couple of day. Veggies and fruits, we bought a good bunch and keep them the best possible way in the fridge so they last. Overall we only go shopping once every 8 or 9 days. What we do is we buy something to make a large dish, like a veal blanquette for example, but cook it for the equivalent of 7 or 8 persons, and as we're only two, kept in the fridge, it lasts 3 days. We don't eat anything else for those 3 days, but like that it's easy to eat well without having to go buy stuff every couple of days. We buy stuff to make several dishes like that, and we're good.
My girlfriend can't work from home, so she's basically unemployed for now as long as the confinement lasts, while I can work from home, so she usually gets out to buy the groceries.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Black Widow will be coming later than we thought. The score is being replaced (going from Alexandre Desplat to Lorne Balfe) as Disney has decided to take the shutdown time to tinker with the end product.

Does The Eternals get pushed to 2021 now, freeing Chloe Zhao up to finish Nomadland?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Did you feel the Earth shake tonight, boys ? Did you hear wolves cry in the silent night ?

The world will never be the same my friends. Tonight, after resisting days, and days, contained in my appartement, I snapped. Yep, you got it. Tonight, I started... watching... Netflix.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

This has to be a mirage
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm scared...

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Pretty soon, Chien's going to think he's Joe Exotic.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

There is no God.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Please don’t think people on Tiger King are the average American.

There has to be the equivalent of The Criterion Channel in France.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, I was also the one who brought Honey Boo Boo to his attention. I'm sorry, W.

As for the Criterion Channel (which turned one today), I'm sure Studiocanal or Gaumont has something.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have no idea who Joe Exotic is, but don't worry W, I don't assume about Americans based on just one person. Otherwise... hum hum... one powerful American would have already condemned you all in my eyes :lol:

We don't have a Criterion channel here. We have the French Cinémathèque ;)

A whole new world comes knocking at my door. Now I won't lie. The first things I'll watch will be the Korean films on Netflix, when that's over, I'll start to take a look at the rest ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Let's recommend stuff. They're Netflix Originals but may not be in France (like Atlantiques)

DEFINITELY WATCH
Okja
Uncut Gems
I Don't Feel At Home in this World Anymore
The Platform
Marriage Story
Calibre
Dolemite is my Name
Icarus
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

WATCH BUT BEAR IN MIND THEY'RE OVERRATED
Roma
The Irishman
Hold the Dark

AVOID
War Machine
The King
Mute
Triple frontier
Velvet Buzzsaw
Apostle
Any Adam Sandler movie

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll second the recommendations of Marriage Story, Dolemite is My Name, I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore, Uncut Gems, The Irishman, Hold the Dark and The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (although that Liam Nesson chapter stinks to high heaven).

Here are the Netflix titles available in France that I'd recommend (excluding the bulk of the genre/romcom shit that I enjoyed):
6 Balloons
Annihilation
Beasts of No Nation
Booksmart
Mascots
Our Souls at Night
Paddleton
The Perfection
Triple Frontier
Uncorked
Wheelman
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh, and just realising what Tranny's profile gif is, you should also watch the short-form sketch show I Think You Should Leave. For some surreal goodness.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Aaaaah that's cool guys, thanks, I'm gonna open a file on my computer and list your recommendations. I'll take the time needed, but I'll watch them all.

I've already seen Okja and Uncut Gems in special screenings in theaters, but the rest is unseen to me.

Of the films listed by Six, I haven't heard (or don't remember) Icarus and Calibre, so I'll add those to my list.
I'm disappointed to see Triple Frontier on you "to avoid", it's one of my most expected films on Netflix !! But thankfully Tranny recommends it. I'll definitely watch that one soon.
Apostle, Mute and The King are 3 I think I'll still watch, eventually, at some point.

Now on Tranny's list, there's a whole bunch I have kno idea what they are. 6 balloons, Mascots, Paddleton, The Perfection, Uncorked, Wheelman, I have never heard of those titles. I'll write all of that, and the ones I knew of course.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It's been a few years since I had Netflix, but I did like season 1 of GLOW, and what's that one with Gillian Jacobs? You know, that one with the really long title that doesn't reveal what the show is about? Oh yeah, Love.