Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by W »

So, my kid is supposed to start high school in a week. They've pushed it back a week twice already. This last time they said they're splitting students into two groups based on name and they will go every other day. That lasts until Labor Day (three weeks) which then it is assumed we're going full remote learning? Why? Well part of the reason is probably the announcement they made yesterday stating all the crosstown rival sporting events (North/South here) are moving to before Labor Day, so they'll be able to have their annual Football game along with soccer, tennis, etc.

My brother teaches the next county over in a very rural county, many students without internet. Classes started yesterday and today he gets an email saying they need his seating chart "for contact tracing". The school let out early today and are "remote learning" for two weeks. Wonder what happened?...

If a tiny rural school cannot last one day, how do you expect a school corporation with 16,000?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

My local arthouse is reopening for members only this weekend. I have made a reservation for a free screening of Cinema Paradiso for Sunday afternoon. Hope I don't catch anything.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

My local AMC has begun selling tickets for August 21st. The lineup: Unhinged (on four screens), Ghostbusters, The Empire Strikes Back, Back to the Future, Inception (on two screens), and Words on Bathroom Walls (on two screens). The local Regal is supposed to release their lineups tomorrow while Alamo Drafthouse will have news coming shortly.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Ours is the 28th. I looked at Indy and they have some for the 21st. If you look at the 22nd you can watch some new (probably terrible) releases.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

NC is one of the states where theaters will stay closed, so no Tenet for me (like I was gonna go anyway).
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The local Alamo Drafthouse will re-open next week. I hope mine does more than just the 80's movies and stuff from last year that everyone in our Facebook group wanted (I really wanted to go after the people who requested Knives Out by noting that it played here for four months).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Theaters are opening here next Friday. Probably not going to make a trip until Tenet comes out unless The New Mutants WOM ends up being decent.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Obviously you didn't hear Anya Taylor-Joy's attempt at a Russian accent in one of the newer trailers.

I figure I'll see Unhinged next week and whatever old movies I haven't gotten the chance to see in theatres. I don't expect auditoriums to even come close to 25% capacity and I figure crazy Russell Crowe might be worth a few (unintentional) laughs.

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Guys, Tenet made 20 million this weekend in the US. Not from any of you Nolan haters - but still :D . Numbers like that and we might get to reboot this game!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The 2 cinemas within walking distance of me are both open.

The problem is that there's nothing I want to see. The new release is Les Miserables (the French thriller, not th emusical), which I saw over a year ago.

Nothing of interest to me in cinemas until next month - Candyman, maybe Wonder Woman 2, and Kajillionaire.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Most theatres in Vancouver have re-opened -- at limited capacity, I assume -- but like Six said there's little worth seeing in a room full of strangers. My neighbourhood theatre is still showing nothing but titles that could be easily found on Amazon or Netflix, and I'm not desperate enough for a shared experience to go see Almost Famous or Rushmore.

It sounds like there will be some in-theatre screenings at VIFF after all, but judging by what played at TIFF and what's been programmed for the online portion, I doubt there'll be any must-see titles this year.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I've been to a theater twice since they reopened. It's super clean and almost everyone is staying away (I go off peak hours anyway). One showing had seven people in the entire theater, the other maybe ten. It's probably safer than me coming into work everyday and I see max five people a day. It's definitely safer than my kid going to school every other day (which is what we have here). I don't feel bad about it and if anything makes me uncomfortable I can just leave since my A-List membership lets me see three a week for one charge.

Today I've got a double feature of New Mutants and Dev Patel's Copperfield. After that I'll be scraping the bottom of the barrel with only them, Bill & Ted, and Tenet since the reopening.

Zero chance I watch: Broken Hearts Gallery.
Small chance if I'm really hurting: Unhinged, Infidel, Greenland.

Everything looks so bad until October 2. That new Neeson movie looks so bad, but cringy Liam Neeson can be fun.

If AMC would just say "Eff it. We'll allow you to show movies here and digitally for the next two months..." I'd happily go see Antebellum, maybe even Fatima.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I had to sit through that Infidel trailer during some of the Regal classics series. If they have a Razzies in 2021, I think this could sweep it. Of course, Dinesh D'Souza would come and try to start a fight again if it's not virtual like it was this year.

Greenland looks like a wholesale ripoff of Deep Impact while The Broken Hearts Gallery annoys me for the fact that in the movie, it's actually just The Broken Heart Gallery (also, it looks like the most cliche movie of 2020).

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

The Vancouver Film Festival has announced their limited in-cinema screenings, and the lineup is actually better than I expected. The new Francois Ozon, Thomas Vinterberg's latest, and something new with Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan. Also something from David Cronenberg's kid with Andrea Risebrough which looks intriguing at first glance, but the timing probably won't work for me. And it looks like some screenings for a film with Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Coleman have already sold out. Crazy.

I'll probably skip the whole festival because there's nothing there I'm (potentially) dying to see, and I still have more than enough Blu-rays to watch from the comfort of my COVID-free home.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I saw a trailer for Possessor last night. I'm amazed Cronenberg got another film after the dreadful Antiviral but it might be watchable.