Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by numbersix »

haha!

Haven't watched Love but that's Apatow's show, right? I should give it a go.

But if we start giving poor Chien TV recommendations he'll explode

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeaaaaaaah, I'll confess that for now I'll stick to films, there's already more than I can handle with those. If I start watching shows, I won't leave home ever again. Well, maybe I won't anyway if the crisis keeps going, so we'll see :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

There's also The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, which was very good.

Love is a little self-indulgent and inside showbiz -- one of Apatow's kids plays a child star on a hit TV show -- but the actors have good chemistry, and Bertie is adorable.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 1:29 pm
There's also The Highwaymen with Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson, which was very good.
YES !!!!!!!!!
That's one of the very first films I watch for sure !!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Drop everything right away. No films. No Korean gems.

Just all 5 seasons of Better Call Saul.

The breathe.

Then you can watch Stranger Things. And Master Of None, Mindhunter, Dark, Glow and Orange Is The New Black.

Then you can watch some films, personally I concur with the recommendations of The Highwaymen (you do love a bit of Costner after all!), Paddleton (surprisingly lovely comedy/ drama) as well as most of six's list. Also enjoyed I Am Mother, Velvet Buzzsaw, Horse Girl and Destroyer recently.

Maybe then you can assist us with some Korean picks? I am overwhelmed by the choice of Asian movies on here and have no idea what is good and what not so good.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll stick to films for now, series take so much time, if it' a mini, something in less than 10 episodes why not, something in several seasons.....

I'll let you know which of the Korean films are really worth watching.

Last night President Macron spoke on TV and announced our containment was going to last til May 11 at least, so here's for one more month stuck in my appartment !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Holy Hell, oil prices dropped over 40% so far today hitting $10.01 at one point. In January they were over $60. They said there's so much sitting in the storage facilities they're almost completely full. After that if you produce you have to sell at whatever price you can get. Maybe I'm overthinking this but the Middle East may have Venezuela-type problems soon.

EDIT: I just saw it hit $2.24 a barrel.
EDIT: $1.03
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm always shocked by the volatility of oil market prices. It's a finite resource being used a lot by the entire human population. In the long term it will only get more expensive. Maybe now is a good time to buy.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Here in France, the national containment of the population was lifted today, after 2 months. It's still heavily encouraged to stay home as much as we can, keep our distance from one another, put masks on in the public transports (actually, that one's obligatory), and many places are still closed, like restarants, bars, theaters, cinemas...
I'm working from home til the end of May at least.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

The uK has done the same. Sort of. The prime minister's message was deeply confusing - we've been told to go back to work, but also to not go to work!

No sign of cinemas re-opening but it seems it'll be July 1 at the earliest. Of course there will be nothing to release unless Tenet sticks to its date.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm surprised Tenet hasn't been pushed yet. But of course, Nolan doesn't seem to think like normal people do.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Closed since March 15, the cinemas will reopen in France on June 22. That feels so weird !!
Universal France has announced that The King of Staten Island and Irresistible, notably, would be released in theaters in early July in France.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

First trip back to the cinema since it opened last weekend. Black and white version of Parasite.

We were the only people in a 100-seat theatre. I asked the staff and they said it's pretty much like this. They're desperately hoping Tenet will bring people back.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Some of the theatres in Vancouver have been open for a while, and I'll be having my first post-COVID visit to a theatre this weekend. There's a Film Noir retrospective every August so I'll be checking out a few over the coming weeks, starting with Pickup On South Street and The Lady From Shanghai.

My neighbourhood theatre has also re-opened, but the selection of movies has been seriously under-whelming, mostly stuff that is easily available on streaming services or very cheap to buy on disc virtually anywhere. Also, they've increased their prices to cover the added cost of cleaning, which seems like a bad business decision to me. I love John Carpenter as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to pay $15 to sit in a room with a bunch of strangers to watch They Live or The Thing when I can just plug in the disc at home. They don't even offer pre-arranged seating, which seems like a necessity these days.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

They considered doing that added price thing at one of the theatres here before people complained. One person made a big deal about it, saying that he already spent too much at the movies. Guy wouldn't have been complaining on Facebook if he didn't mention having six children.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.