Coronavirus Megathread

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Coronavirus Megathread

Post by Buscemi2 »

Cineworld (Regal's owner)'s apparently near bankruptcy and AMC's stock is getting its ass kicked.

My independent arthouse is a non-profit and member-supported so barring societal collapse, they should be able to recover.

And here's Jon Watts and Peter Parker telling us to stay safe: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9xiyF_HfW8/
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 5:00 pm
Yeah, like six everything is carrying on as per usual here at the moment. Just been to see The Hunt in the cinema; completely empty bar myself. Now at the local supermarket doing our first shop since the world went to shit. Most of the shelves are empty, but must be a consequence of the generally good diet we eat that I got everything on my list!
Went to the giant Tesco near me and it was packed. Plenty of fresh food available but all pasta, rice, beans and pulses were gone, as was soya milk, tinned goods, and most frozen goods. It's bizarre, really, as most corner shops have everything in stock!

Went to see Bacurau and it was half-full. No one sat around us so I guess we're clear!

If in the UK the studios and main distributors offer rental for £20 I would totally take that offer.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Universal is launching premium VOD this weekend for The Hunt, Emma, and The Invisible Man. Trolls World Tour is planned to be day-and-date (that should make the Alamo Drafthouse employee I talked to on Saturday who didn't want to do the scheduled cereal party* happy).

* - Cereal parties are morning shows where there's a cereal buffet for $1 extra with your ticket. These are fun.

Edit: the first three are apparently currently available.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

All Alamo Drafthouses and Landmarks have now been closed. As expected, my tickets have been refunded and Season Pass has been paused.

Meanwhile, Birds of Prey and The Gentlemen will hit VOD next week while First Cow will be reissued once theatres reopen.

But while US theatres close, one theatre in China did reopen today. But despite free movies, no one came.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Meanwhile AMC is like “you can pause your A-List membership too.” This means at the end of our current billing cycle and only for one month. So mine ends on March 26 so the next ten days (which my theater is shut down for) I still have to pay (not a big deal for me, but the people whose cycle was in the last few days?). The “pause” will last from March 26 through April 26. On April 26 I’ll be charged again even if my theater is still shuttered.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

There seems to be some hope that things will begin to return to normal by then. I know that the Music Box in Chicago (who had to cut short their 70mm fest) hopes to reopen on April 3rd. But I don't know. Lately, MLB has been suggesting that they might not return until July, killing the first half altogether (on the other hand, Manfred might get his 14 team playoff if they do play).

A lot of the solution would be that people would need to cooperate with the CDC and other organizations but we Americans are a stubborn people.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Black Widow the latest victim. Moves to TBD.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

It was bound to be yeah.

So today is the first day of confinement here in France.
Since noon, if I want to go out, I have to walk with a paper (or pdf on my phone) that specifies why I am out, if it's to go to work because I have an essential job that can't be done from home (that's not my case), if it's to go get food or medical supplies, or if it's just to do some exercise. If you don't go out with such paper or pdf, you can be fined.
I can't go see my family or friends. And as I can work from home, I'm not allowed to go out for my work.
That's the first of many days I'll stay home.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's insane, although kind of fun.

If you walk down the street can a cop now say "papers, please" to you, just like in the old days?

And then you can give him your sheet and say "I think you'll find everything is in order".

The fun!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Not Orwellian at all, that.

Is it an official government document or will any old piece of paper do? Don't use TP.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

numbersix wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 1:59 pm
That's insane, although kind of fun.

If you walk down the street can a cop now say "papers, please" to you, just like in the old days?

And then you can give him your sheet and say "I think you'll find everything is in order".

The fun!
Well, I think there's a couple certain subsets of people who would replace "fun" with "horrifying" lol
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The last few days have definitely been the most insane I've ever lived.

It's an official paper you have to download on an official government website.

What a time to live in. I wonder how long this will go on.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

At least we have Anais Mitchell, Neko Case, and Explosions From the Sky to fall back on.

And, of course, Smash Mouth. (ducking)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:
March 16th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Universal is launching premium VOD this weekend for The Hunt, Emma, and The Invisible Man. Trolls World Tour is planned to be day-and-date (that should make the Alamo Drafthouse employee I talked to on Saturday who didn't want to do the scheduled cereal party* happy).

* - Cereal parties are morning shows where there's a cereal buffet for $1 extra with your ticket. These are fun.

Edit: the first three are apparently currently available.
Wish I had an Alamo in my area - don't think I would be let in because I'm underage anyway so it's a lost cause, but still
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
March 17th, 2020, 3:35 pm
At least we have Anais Mitchell, Neko Case, and Explosions From the Sky to fall back on.

And, of course, Smash Mouth. (ducking)
What about Disclosure? ;)

Not counting their new EP - massive disappointment.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/