Worst Movie Castings Ever

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Worst Movie Castings Ever

Post by Buscemi »

Seeing that Carey Mulligan has just been cast in the lead in the remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (hey Fincher, what happened to casting an unknown actress and creating a star in the process?), I can't help but think that "Wow, this remake is going to suck and it's all because of this miscasting". Seriously, is the first thing that you think of when you see Carey Mulligan "punk that audiences fall in love with"? Because I sure as hell don't. When I saw An Education, I saw Carey Mulligan as an unlikeable, self-important bitch. When I saw Brothers, I saw...wait, how many people actually remember her from Brothers? Let's skip that. And when I see the trailers for Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, I see more of the cold hearted, impossible to like character that she did in An Education.

With the adaptation coming in 2012, expect Mulligan to be typecast due to her lack of range. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo has no chance of being good.

In other news, I saw that Katy Perry will play Smurfette in the forthcoming Smurfs movie (which sounds like another disaster in the making). Katy Perry? Are you fucking serious? With all of the dumb blondes in the industry that would be perfect for this role (I'm looking at Anna Faris, can't you see her in this role), they go with someone who has only been in one other movie and is solely popular for her industry-mandated image and lack of singing talent. But then again, does anyone expect the Smurfs movie to be any good?

And don't get me started on Chris Evans as Captain America.

Anyways, what do you think are some of the biggest miscastings in movie history?

My list:
John Wayne as Genghis Khan (The Conquerer, 1956)
Neil Diamond in blackface (The Jazz Singer, 1980)
Randy Quaid as a Spanish military officer (Sweet Country, 1986) (obscure movie but the fact that Randy Quaid is playing a foreigner, stereotypical accent and all, is unforgettably bad)
Michael Chiklis as John Belushi (no offense towards the guy as it wasn't a bad performance, but he's just more suited towards action roles) (Wired, 1989)
Demi Moore as Hester Prynne (The Scarlet Letter, 1995)
Jessica Alba as Honey (a half-Hispanic/half-white actress playing an African-American, what could go wrong here?) (Honey, 2003)
Jessica Simpson as Daisy Duke (The Dukes Of Hazzard, 2005)
Ashton Kutcher in the Sidney Poitier role in Guess Who
Michael Pitt as Kurt Cobain (Michael Pitt can't even sing and yet he's playing the god of Grunge music) (Last Days, 2005)
Kirsten Dunst and Jason Schwartzman as Marie Antoniette and the King of France (Marie Antoniette, 2006)
Keanu Reeves as Klaatu (The Day The Earth Stood Still, 2008)

I probably have more but I can't think of anything.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Worst Movie Castings Ever

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

You do know that Katy Perry is just doing the voice for Smurfette right?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I know that but it doesn't excuse the lack of thought in the casting process. They could have gone with someone known for this type of role (such as Anna Faris or Drew Barrymore) or someone who could play the role as a parody of itself (such as Amy Poheler). Instead, they go for a non-actress who was probably put there because the record company wanted to sell more records. Otherwise, how do you explain all of the singers that attempt to act?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I dont think i've seen carrey mulligan in anything. but what i did see from the golden globes (or oscars, dont remember which) i thought she seemed sweet. i think your biased. anyways it's all a moot point, the producer of the film says it's not true, she isn't cast in the role.

As for the katy perry thing, its a cartoon, it's her voice, she's not acting, if you want to get technical it's voice acting ad as a singer she does a lot of that. Also how do you know it's not going to be like the chipmunks where they distort the voice. i definitely doesnt matter. and we've already had that captain america conversation.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

They just announced that Carey Mulligan would be starring this week and reportedly, she's getting quite a bit of money to play the lead.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

So you're judging Carey Mulligan on the basis of ONE lead performance and a trailer??? Maybe you should consider that you are perhaps conflating the character in An Education with the actress? In fact, why don't you explain how exactly you found her character to be a "self-important bitch".

As for miscasting, this is one I'll come back to, but one that springs to mind is Drew Barrymore in Donnie Darko. I really liked that film except for her. I didn't buy her performance, it was a tad over-performed and very unnatural, unlike the rest of the cast (who managed to be believable in a surreal sci-fi!).

Half of the cast of Watchmen were poor choices too (Matthew Goode, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Malin Ackerman)

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

It was the way in how her character acts. She spends most of the movie acting in a hateful tone and came off as emotionless and cold to me. It was one-dimensional and typical of the "English are snooty" stereotype.

And just because your character is going to Oxford, that doesn't mean to make that person somehow better than everyone else.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Well, that's a relief (by the way, I had found my source on the page of the Millennium miniseries that's will combine the first three movies together but that page did not include yesterday's report). But David Fincher better stick to his guns and cast an unknown in the lead.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:It was the way in how her character acts. She spends most of the movie acting in a hateful tone and came off as emotionless and cold to me.
I don't know,man, what's emotionless about wanting to have a bit of fun in your life, especially when it has been essentially planned by an overbearing father? If there's any "hate", it's the usual teen resentment towards parental control that most of us go through.

Buscemi wrote: It was one-dimensional and typical of the "English are snooty" stereotype.
And just because your character is going to Oxford, that doesn't mean to make that person somehow better than everyone else.

Well the film doesn't say that at all. In fact it pretty much condemns the parents for acting like that, and not Mulligan's character. It's evident they're using their daughter to raise their social status from lower middle-class to upper-middle class. Indeed, isn't her rebellion about her feeling that going to Oxford won't make her life any better?

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Mickey Rooney as Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's
Keanu Reeves as Jonathon Harker in Dracula
Ted Danson in Saving Private Ryan
Will Ferrell as Darrin in Bewitched (the movie sucked entirely anyway, but still- really distracting)
Kevin Costner as Robin Hood
Jack Black in King Kong
Tobey Maguire as Spider Man

There was one recently that I can't remember, but I recall being annoyed through the entire movie by the casting.... it'll come to me.
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Nicole Kidman as Samantha was a worse miscasting in Bewitched. She can't even wiggle her nose!

alyson
Juno MacGuff

Post by alyson »

Buscemi wrote:Nicole Kidman as Samantha was a worse miscasting in Bewitched. She can't even wiggle her nose!
They were all horrible, I picked Ferrell though just because its a complete miss as far as Bewitched goes, Kidman is at least slightly reminiscent of Elizabeth Montgomery
Louie, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

mateostarr
Juno MacGuff

Post by mateostarr »

In regards to...

Michael Pitt as Kurt Cobain (Michael Pitt can't even sing and yet he's playing the god of Grunge music) (Last Days, 2005)

I don't think Michael Pitt was playing Kurt Cobain, just a Kurt Cobain type character. To me that is enough of a difference to not see this casting as a big deal.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

alyson wrote:Tobey Maguire as Spider Man
Being an avid fan of the late-80s / early 90s iterations of the Spiderman mythology, I actually thought Tobey was perfectly cast. Who would you have preferred?
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.