MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2020 (SPRING EDITION)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2020 (SPRING EDITION)

Post by numbersix »

It's the future! While we wait for flying cars and real hoverboards (not those fake ones with wheels obscured), what are you all looking forward to. For me...

Seen and liked: The Lodge, Saint Maud, A White White Day
Maybe: Antlers, No Time to Die, Greed, Ordinary Love, The Invisible Man

10. Downhill
Loved the original. Not so sure about this, but curious to see if the wry wit translates with Will Ferrell in the lead.

9.The Climb
This indie comedy played in Cannes, and from the fest circuit the buzz has been good.

8. The Truth
Hirokazu Koreeda makes a film in France. Very curious about how it turns out.

7. A Quiet Place Pt 2
The original was flawed by intense, so I'm happy to spend time in a cinema watching more.

6. Wendy
The long-awaited next film of the director behind Beasts of the Southern Wild. And this seems like more magical realism. Count me in

5. First Cow
Kelly Reichart's films are always worth watching. This is a must.

4. Colour out of Space
More Mandy-like Nic Cage antics, this time a Lovecraft adaptation.

Okay, it came out last month technically, but it's going wide in Jan and it looks like a real cinema spectacle.

2. Onward
It's an original Pixar film. Of course I'll give it a go.

1. Bacurau
Kleber Mendonça Filho is a very special film-maker, and this crazy imaginative genre mash-up sounds just up my street.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2020 (SPRING EDITION)

Post by Brockster »

I'll use this space to talk about my most anticipated movie, and then let all of you laugh at me and mock me.

Top Gun 2 has been on my radar for a LONG time. The first one came out when I was 6, and was instantly one of my favorites, and the nostalgia factor has been there ever since. It was a perfect 80's movie. In that I mean the acting wasn't that great, the story had several holes, but man, the lead characters had a ton of charisma, it was a ton of fun to watch, action packed...and the soundtrack was awesome! Que Kenny Loggins! On a side note, after my wife and I got married, we played the Top Gun theme as we walked back down the aisle together. It was an inside joke between all of our friends because we'd all given each other Top Gun call names several years before. They all were cracking up and the older people looked confused. Mission accomplished :) So the original Top Gun has a lot of special meaning for me.

Which brings me to the sequel. I had some reservations about it, given how much I love the first one, but wow, they put together a couple great trailers that have me super pumped. And I won't lie, when the Top Gun theme played in the new trailer I got chills! How lame is that?!? LOL.

Anyway, go ahead and rip me. But this is my most anticipated movie in a while, not just 2020.

Other movies that look good to me include: Tenet, Soul, Dune, Bill & Ted, Coming 2 America (they better not fuck this up! But probably will :lol: ), and Jungle Cruise (I think my kids will love this).

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Haha, I won't mock ya, dude, although I will do my best to keep your hopes down. 80s films were very unique for a number of reasons - the music, the costumes, were all very distinctly 80s and fed into the tone of the blockbusters, which were mostly either cheesy or fun. It's rare to see a film recreate that style successfully in this day and age. So if you really love that film, be prepared for disappointment.

I'm thinking of stuff like Miami Vice, which just didn't work, or 21 Jump St which needed an entirely different, and more modern, sensibility to make it work.

Am I missing any examples of a sequel or remake of an 80s classic made int he last 15 or so years which worked?

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

I can't really think of any either. I'm hanging my hopes on that trailer :)

I do think there are a handful of movies from the 80's that could be successful sequels today based on how they were either left off, or have ample story line intrigue.

I would classify Top Gun in that category based on Goose dying and his son being in the new one. Sets up a unique story line. Will he hate Maverick for flying the plane that crashed and caused his father's death? My guess is yes, at the beginning of the movie at least. The action sequences in the new movie look insane too.

I also think Back to the Future could get a sequel and be decent. I think Bill & Ted could work too. Beetlejuice would be interesting. Spaceballs MUST happen. I think out of all of them, that has the ability to be the best, since there is so much new material to spoof.

But you're right. The 80's were very unique for cinema.

Meanwhile, I have to watch Spaceballs again. SO funny and quotable.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I liked the Tron sequel, definitely has flaws, but it did try something interesting.

As for your Top Gun speech, Brockster, of course we laugh, but we all have our guilty pleasures from our childhood years that keep a special place in our hearts.
I remember my sister loving Top Gun and watching it a lot.

So the question is, what was your Top Gun name ??!! ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Already seen and HIGHLY recommend BACURAU and THE TRAITOR, which would both count in my Top 20 of 2019 probably, if I ever make one.
Also seen and like Deerskin.

My expectations are very limited, I can barely find 10 films from that first four months I'm really eager to see.

I'll probably watch Downhill, Call of the wild, The Whistlers, maybe The Way Back.

8. No Time to Die
Didn't really like Spectre, but seeing a James Bond in theater is still a tradition.

7. The Lovebirds
On the paper it could be a fun mysterious romcom.

6. First Cow
Kelly Reichardt, nuff said.

5. Onward
Can't say I'm excited by the trailer, but Pixar is Pixar.

4. Wendy
Wasn't very high on Beasts of the Southern Wild actually, but I'm still very curious.

3. Antlers
Guillermo Del Toro producing a horror film directed by Scott Cooper ? Hell yes !

2. The Wild Goose Lake
This chinese film has just been released in Paris I'll go see it soon, it looks splendid.

1. 1917
I'm a sucker for war films, and this one looks like a giant piece of cinema.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

So the question is, what was your Top Gun name ??!!
I was Maverick...of course...duh! 8-)

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Downhill looks like more than your typical foreign remake cashgrab. Force Majeure was okay, but turning it into a comedy with Ferrel, JLD, and Dean Pelton behind the camera is intriguing.

I just watched the trailer for Antlers and I'm in. It's about time someone made a (hopefully) decent movie about a Wendigo.

I missed Deerskin and The Whistlers during VIFF so I'll keep an eye out for them if they come back. Colour Out Of Space was wild and kind of awesome, The Lodge was okay, but I nearly walked out of Wild Goose Lake.

It'll never get released in North America, but I would love to see An Officer And A Spy at some point.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

10.The Rhythm Section
9.Antebellum
8.The Lovebirds
7.Bad Trip
6.No Time to Die
5.The Way Back
4.A Quiet Place Part II
3.Bad Boys for Life
2.Birds of Prey
1.The Gentlemen

Also excited for:
Color Out of Space
Buffaloed
Sonic the Hedgehog
The Invisible Man
Onward
Spenser Confidential
Bloodshot
Deerskin
Antlers

Maybes:
Like a Boss
Underwater
The Turning
Downhill
Ordinary Love
The Photograph
My Spy
Saint Maud
Fatherhood
Monster Problems
Promising Young Woman
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

JohnErle wrote: It'll never get released in North America, but I would love to see An Officer And A Spy at some point.
I'd imagine it will hit Quebec at some point, as nearly every French film comes out there, often way before the rest of North America.

As for a personal list, I'll abstain. Most of the forthcoming movies don't look very good.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.