Spider-Man out of MCU due to feud between Disney and Sony

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Spider-Man out of MCU due to feud between Disney and Sony

Post by StarLord123 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... u.amp.html

Basically, Disney now wants 50% of profits from the MCU Spider-Man films, and Sony doesn't want to give it to them. I think Disney is being greedy and unreasonable here, as they already get 100% of the merchandise. People are of course lashing out at Sony, when it was Disney that tried to change the existing deal they had. 50% of Sony's potential profits being eaten up by Disney is nuts and no studio would logically agree to it. Disney knows they can get away with it and people are still on their side because they are Disney. It's kind of sad.

W
Norman Bates

Re: Spider-Man out of MCU due to feud between Disney and Son

Post by W »

Counterpoint, Disney isn't being greedy and unreasonable. Disney and Sony are both extremely large conglomerates that are definitely not charities or little guys that can be pushed over. They even work together in other areas (

I don't know how worth it it is for Marvel to work on a character they don't own for 5% of the first day's gross. At that price it's best for them to focus on their own characters they own fully. People are saying "Well, they already have the merchandising rights, why do they need anything else?" Merchandising rights have absolutely zero to do with this deal. They were sold by Sony years ago in a short sighted move because the studio needed money. Disney isn't "changing a deal" either. Their deal expired and they're trying to work out another. The only thing Disney gets out of this is 5% of ONE DAY and the option to use him as a minor character in their team-ups.

Disney loses next to nothing if they exclude Spidey. They've been successful almost every single time with mostly with their B and C and Z list characters (WTF? A tree and a raccoon?). They don't need him. Sony did need Marvel. They needed to plug into their system just like franchising a Chick-fil-a. Marvel loses one character but Sony loses a universe. This iteration of Spider-Man is built on the back of what Marvel's been doing for eleven years. No more references to Iron Man, no more Nick Fury, no more Avengers... WTF is a Happy Hogan? You fought Thanos and died? Sorry not canon anymore. Marvel's fallout: Never mention one character ever again.

It's possible Sony is able to create their own Spider-Man universe with what they've gotten out of the original deal, but if you look at the last four live-action (non-Marvel deal) Spider-man movies they've made (Venom, ASM 1 & 2, Spidey 3) maybe not.

Is 50/50 co-finance + 50/50 gross a good deal? I don't know, but it's the safe route and allows a much better possibility that future Venom, Morbius, Sinister Six, Gwen Stacy, etc movies are going to do well. The question they need to ask is if they're able to make a sustained Spiderverse themselves.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

MAYBE a case could be made for Disney receiving around 20% of the profits from future MCU Spider-Man films, but 50% would mean Sony loses a lot of potential profits. Disney has already made all the profits from movies they used Spider-Man as a side character in (those 3 movies have made nearly 6 billion combined). I want Spidey to stay in the MCU as much as anyone does, but Disney needs to dial back their demands a little if they want Sony to cooperate.

The fact that Tom Rothman (AKA the destroyer of Fox) is chairman of Sony right now definitely means that there could be big problems with future Spider-Man films under Sony only. So hopefully both studios strike a fair deal to keep him in the MCU.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well Sony would have to weigh up if the cost of staying within the MCU is worth a 50/50 deal, 45% more than their previous deal. Or they could start their own new Spidey universe and see if that makes more. If Marvel were to compromise then both might benefit.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Sony thinks that Venom doing so well means they can strike out on their own. I expect them to ruin this iteration of spider-man and introduce a non-MCU Spidey as quickly as possible (if a deal isn't reached).
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I mean, Sony just did the best Spiderman film of all time: Into the Spiderverse, so I don't blame them for thinking they can go alone, particularly if they get someone talented to oversee the universe.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Just kill off the character at this point. Sony will make the same mistakes that Fox made with X-Men.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

numbersix wrote:I mean, Sony just did the best Spiderman film of all time: Into the Spiderverse, so I don't blame them for thinking they can go alone, particularly if they get someone talented to oversee the universe.
True, but I think it was mainly Sony Pictures Animation that did that one. Unfortunately I could see Sony wanting more involvement in sequels, and we know how that usually turns out.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

numbersix wrote:Well Sony would have to weigh up if the cost of staying within the MCU is worth a 50/50 deal, 45% more than their previous deal. Or they could start their own new Spidey universe and see if that makes more. If Marvel were to compromise then both might benefit.
It isn't 45% more. It sounds like it is, but it's much less. Right now Disney gets 5% of every ticket sold in the theater (not 5% of the profit). They want to co-finance and split the profits. Right now if they turn $1B WW, Marvel gets $50 M no matter what it costs to make to movie. Disney wants to put up about half (maybe $100 M) and let's say it profits $500 M. They would make $250 M after they recoup their original $100 M.

On FFH they now make about $50 M while putting in no capital (unless you count trademarks, IP, and talent). On their new deal they would make about $250 M. And this is on Sony's biggest film of all time. If it did less... say, $800 M WW and the profit was $300 M... They'd only be making $150 M after they recoup their $100 M investment.

ROBDude
Peter Gibbons

Post by ROBDude »

If Sony decides to move forward and reboot Spider-Man again, just make it about Miles Morales. Into The SpiderVerse is a fantastic movie and we need more of Miles Morales on the big screen.
Current Film Watchlist:

Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire
Monkey Man
Civil War
Spy X Family: Code White
The First Omen
The Fall Guy
Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

No way they’re rebooting. They literally just had their highest grossing movie world wide of all time and have Holland contracted for two more. You’d have to be suicidal to dump this iteration with or without Disney.