"The Hunt" pulled from release by Universal

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

"The Hunt" pulled from release by Universal

Post by StarLord123 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.c ... 65785/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago.su ... -universal

Film was pulled due to the mass shootings and the film's apparent political theme.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Re: "The Hunt" pulled from release by Universal

Post by Brockster »

It sucks that we live in a country where people can't separate what they see in movies from real life. Or if they can't, they can easily go buy a replica AR15, or other gun, to live out their fantasies in real life.

On a related note, I was sick last week and while I was home I watched John Wick 1 and 2 back to back on cable. In John Wick 2 there is a scene of nudity that they had to blur out (boobs and bottoms of a woman). They also bleeped out the swear words. And I thought to myself, how crazy is it that we can't show the female body on cable, something that is natural, or air curse words, yet we can show people violently killing other people. How fucked up is that? Seriously, Keanu Reeves probably killed/murdered at least 200 people in these films, with a multitude of weapons, but we can't show a woman's breasts? Or say "fuck," "shit," etc.?

Ok I'm done venting.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

We let Evangelicals (who get offended by everything) get away with too much, Brockster. The modern-day Puritans who want to recreate Franco's Spain and call it a utopia.

The funny thing about all this is that conservatives, the said people who criticize the film industry no matter how often Hollywood panders to them, would have loved a film like The Hunt. From those who read the script, the alt-right characters are actually the heroes of the film.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It looks like Universal was going to shelve it, or at least delay it, anyway. The film tested poorly and even during the test screening phase, the studio was getting death threats over the content.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

It'll likely end up being like The Interview where it receives a VOD/indie theater release at some point, draws some interest as a result of the overblown controversy that surrounded the plot then fades into obscurity a few months later.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It would definitely bring in the Alex Jones crowd that flocked to The Interview on opening day (I'll never forget how much of a madhouse it was that Christmas when the conspiracy theorists and far-right wing patriots lined up for the first showing and acted as if seeing the movie made them good Americans) but I feel it's more likely Universal will just pay Jason Blum whatever money he spent and bury the film. This was a cheaper film ($18 million, which baffles me as Blumhouse titles are typically in the $5-10 million range) than The Interview ($44 million) so choosing not to distribute the film theatrically would allow Universal to lose less money, though a Netflix deal similar to the one The Interview got would lessen the loss. Also, Universal doesn't have to pay Blum his percentage of the gross as part his deal with the studio.