Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2019

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2019

Post by silversurfer19 »

Of course it is..

The Favourite

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Amazing. Never thought The Favourite would win all the big awards. Wasnt my Favourite, but still a good film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

What a display of domination by The Favourite. Not completely surprised though as we all seemed to enjoy it quite a bit and it didn't have the language barrier that Burning, Cold War, etc. had to overcome.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

What a shocker, no one saw that coming, haha :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol: ;)

this was awesome, really enjoyed my afternoon at work here reading this, thanks for running it Surfer

honestly, better than watching the Oscars

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Chienfantome wrote:Amazing. Never thought The Favourite would win all the big awards. Wasnt my Favourite, but still a good film.

knknnkkknnk :lol:

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well done to The Favourite. Amazing to see a Lanthimos film reach such an audience ($90m and counting!).

Here's a little piece of info.

The other week I met the award-winning writer Deborah Davis to discuss a project. She was very keen on it. But I got a copy of an early draft, the one she wrote and not the one Tony McNamara wrote. It is absolutely dreadful. I found out that due to the rights Deborah gets an equal credit, but barely a word of her script was shot. And now she's an Oscar nominated writer. This is a bizarre industry. Needless to say we didn't hire her for the job. So technically we turned down an Oscar-nominated writer.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Tremendous job running the show per usual surfer.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well done Surf - you showed the Oscars how to run a fun and brief show!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Thanks, Surfer, for organizing this. I only saw three of the Best Picture nominees, so I don't have a lot to say about the winners, except that it's nice to see Burning pick up a few awards.

I have very little time for this forum these days, so sorry for not getting my featurette on Shoplifters done on time, but I'll post it now anyway. Better late than never, right?

Shoplifters

Empathy. It’s a quality that seems to be in short supply these days, but Shoplifters has it in abundance, which is one reason it felt so refreshing. It tells the story of a makeshift family living in the margins of society who resort to petty crime, and worse, in order to survive, yet there’s no malice in their actions, and their lives are filled with so much joy that you can’t help rooting for them, despite some of the shocking things they do. And when society eventually does catch up to them and tears them apart, it feels like a tragedy. Shoplifters reminds us never to judge someone until you know the whole story and you’ve walked a mile in their shoes.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Dont worry John, I completely understand, sometimes our actual lives do get in the way of our little world on here, I have definitely had to adjust to that the last couple of years!

Anyway, here is the full list of winners!

Best Picture - The Favourite
Best Director - Yorgos Lanthimos, The Favourite
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Ethan Hawke, First Reformed
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Olivia Colman, The Favourite
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Mahershala Ali, Green Book
Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Emma Stone, The Favourite
Best Cast - The Favourite
Best Original Screenplay - The Favourite
Best Adapted Screenplay - Burning
Best Foreign Language Picture - Burning
Best Breakthrough Performance - Thomasin McKenzie, Leave No Trace
Best Animated Picture - Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse
Best Documentary Picture - They Shall Not Grow Old
Best Cinematography - The Favourite
Best Visual Effects - Annihilation
Best Score - Mandy

Thank you everybody who took the time to participate in the initial Master List, the nomination process, the final ballots, featurettes and the show itself. This really is one of my favourite times of the year in the fantaverse, it brings the whole community together as we celebrate what we, as a group really enjoyed in cinema each year. I could not get this up and running without the assistance of you all, and it is a pleasure to present it to you.

I apologise if my performance and banter was not up to the expected levels as a host this year, but having a couple of kids to get to bed whilst hosting certainly makes for a testing time, but I made it! And even better, I am still married, despite the odd look from my wife as she wonders what I am doing for a good couple of hours on the computer as I scramble around looking for a decent sized image of Emma Stone without it looking a little weird! But anyway, thanks again for everyone who has taken part, lets do this again next year!!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote: The other week I met the award-winning writer Deborah Davis to discuss a project. She was very keen on it. But I got a copy of an early draft, the one she wrote and not the one Tony McNamara wrote. It is absolutely dreadful. I found out that due to the rights Deborah gets an equal credit, but barely a word of her script was shot. And now she's an Oscar nominated writer. This is a bizarre industry. Needless to say we didn't hire her for the job. So technically we turned down an Oscar-nominated writer.
That is astonishing, I am sure McNamara must be furious. Well maybe that isnt the word, but I am sure he probably isnt all that interested in working with her again I would have thought. Amazing things like this can happen, but I guess the last couple of years have shown us never to be shocked by anything in Hollywood. At least we have a little guy on the inside trying to right a few of these wrongs, hey six!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Only just re-watching Hereditary now, but for me it seems like Toni Collette could have won best actress...i haven't seen the other nominees apart from Olivia Coleman from The Favourite- which not only won the Oscar but was hardly a leading role!

Can anyone expand on this? I know somebody was high on Glenn Close to win. Snubbed or not?
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Yeah, Colman was just as Supporting as Emma Stone and Weisz. But she was still great - I don't think enough people saw The Wife to consider Glenn Close.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife