Festivals 2019

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Festivals 2019

Post by numbersix »

And so it begins

Here's who won in Sundance:

U.S. Dramatic grand jury prize award Clemency (dir: Chinonye Chukwu)
US Dramatic audience award Brittany Runs a Marathon (dir: Paul Downs Colaizzo)
US Dramatic directing award The Last Black Man in San Francisco, directed by Joe Talbot
US Dramatic Waldo Salt screenwriting award Share (screenplay by Pippa Bianco)
US Dramatic special jury award for vision and craft Honeyboy (dir: Alma Har’el)
US Dramatic special jury award for creative collaboration The Last Black Man in San Francisco (dir: Joe Talbot)
US Dramatic special jury award for achievement in acting Rhianne Barreto, Share

US Documentary grand jury prize award One Child Nation (dir: Nanfu Wang and Jialing Zhang
US Documentary audience award Knock Down the House (dir: Rachel Lears)
US Documentary directing award American Factory (dir: Steven Bognar and Julia Reichert)
US Documentary special jury award for moral urgency Always in Season (dir: Jacqueline Olive)
US Documentary special jury award for an emerging filmmaker Jawline (dir: Liza Mandelup)
US Documentary special jury award for editing Apollo 11 (edited by Todd Douglas Miller)
US Documentary special jury award for cinematography Midnight Family, (cinematographer Luke Lorentzen)

World Cinema Dramatic grand jury prize The Souvenir (dir: Joanna Hogg)
World Cinema Dramatic audience award Queen of Hearts (dir: May El-Toukhy)
World Cinema Dramatic directing award The Sharks (dir: Lucia Garibaldi)
World Cinema Dramatic special jury award Monos (dir: Alejandro Landes)
World Cinema Dramatic special jury award for originality We Are Little Zombies (dir: Makoto Nagahisa)
World Cinema Dramatic special jury award for acting Krystyna Janda, Dolce Fine Giornata

World Cinema Documentary grand jury prize Honeyland (dir: Tamara Kotevska and Ljubomir Stefanov)
World Cinema Documentary audience award Sea of Shadows (dir: Richard Ladkani)
World Cinema Documentary directing award Cold Case Hammarskjold (dir: Mads Brugger)
World Cinema Documentary special jury award for no borders Midnight Traveler (dir: Hassan Fazzili)
World Cinema Documentary special jury award for impact for change Honeyland (dir: Tamara Kotevska and Ljubomir Stefanov)
World Cinema Documentary special jury award for cinematography Honeyland (cinematographers Fejmi Daut and Samir Ljuma)

Interestingly, some of the titles people enjoyed the most, like the Lodge and Luce, didn't win.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Festivals 2019

Post by Chienfantome »

There are too many awards in Sundance :shock:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeah, that's more or less it. The closing ceremony must be as long as the Academy Awards ceremony :lol:
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Joker has won the Golden Lion at Venice. Can't say I saw that one coming.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The festival selection committee was already hyping Phoenix's performance before the premiere. When you're talking Oscar nominations that early, it's going to do some business.

Speaking of Venice, Polanski won the Grand Jury Prize. I wonder if that means his movie will get an American release (distributors have been mum on his work for obvious reasons).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Can't believe the director or Old School and The Hangover is a Golden Lion winner now.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

And the writer of The Hangover sequels and the Scary Movie series wrote one of the most harrowing and highly reviewed TV miniseries of all time.

We're in strange times indeed.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Getting back to normalcy, the lead singer of Limp Bizkit's movie is probably the favorite to win Worst Picture at the Razzies since Gotti lost last year.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Early Toronto reactions are glowing on Knives Out (first reviews are good too) and pretty good on A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (no reviews yet) and Just Mercy (first review is mixed, though). Early reviews for Hustlers are glowing but since those reviews are from places like The Playlist and Indiewire (two sites that will do anything to get a pull quote in a trailer or on a poster), I expecting more critical reviews to come shortly.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looking at the run times of some of the festival movies and I must ask: is there any reason for The Goldfinch or Ford v. Ferrari to be two and a half hours? One's about a kid stealing a painting, the other seems to be saying "Americans good, everyone else evil" through cars.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

More Toronto buzz:

The Goldfinch: disaster
Marriage Story: potential Best Picture contender
Jojo Rabbit: so-so
Dolemite is My Name: critical reviews are mixed to positive, looking like a fringe contender at this point
The Two Popes: actually pretty good based on critical response

It will be interesting to see what critics think of Jojo (edit: early word is mixed).

As for the People's Choice Award, I'm thinking the Tom Hanks movie gets it (I have it winning Best Picture in February with A Hidden Life being the big yearly Fox push). Knives Out had the buzz on Saturday but it's not an big audience movie even with that cast (if it wasn't so stale looking, I'd see it solely for it having Don Johnson).

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Looks like Downton Abbey won't be joining The Fugitive in the league of Oscar-winning adaptations of TV shows. Early reviews are comparing the film to a long episode of the show. It will still make millions of dollars and not get fans to watch Gosford Park, the main reason why the show exists in the first place.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Early word on Motherless Brooklyn is decent but probably not the comeback Edward Norton needed. He'll probably need to give Wes Anderson or Inarritu a call (or at least make sure Alita: Battle Angel 2 gets made).

Meanwhile, The Aeronauts is supposedly quite good. I wonder if Amazon might rethink this one and get that IMAX run back on.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Harriet's not looking like the Oscar contender Focus hoped for, as early reviews are good but not glowing. Looks like Cynthia Erivo's time on the It List might have passed after three disappointments.