Awards 2018

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Re: Awards 2018

Post by StarLord123 »

Buscemi2 wrote:Quick question: have you actually seen any of the other Spider-Man movies? You will realize that they all follow the basic plot of a student who has to save the world and get the girl. They almost never deviate from the formula.

Into the Spider-Verse was no exception. After you get past the multiple versions and Peter not being the main character, it's still about a student who has to save the world and gets the girl.
Yes, of course I have. Also, Incredibles 2 had basically the same story (with a few slight differences) as the first just gender swapped. It's easily more similar to it's predecessor than Spider-Verse is to the previous Spider-Man films. Also, Spider-Man did not get the girl at the end of any of the Spider-Man films except for the second and third Sam Raimi films.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

But you know that he gets Mary Jane or some other girl at some point. The comic books tell us this. There's no need to repeat the same story every time.

At least with Incredibles 2, it was someone else doing the crime-fighting. You don't see Peter Parker having to watch his superpowered baby who can be the Human Torch and fight raccoons.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Buscemi2 wrote:But you know that he gets Mary Jane or some other girl at some point. The comic books tell us this. There's no need to repeat the same story every time.

At least with Incredibles 2, it was someone else doing the crime-fighting. You don't see Peter Parker having to watch his superpowered baby who can be the Human Torch and fight raccoons.
Alright, I'm just a big Spider-Man fan then :D

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I was about to ask Brony or Troper.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have to agree that I much preferred Spiderverse than Incredibles 2. Although the very best animated of the year is, of course, Isle of Dogs ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

People can say what they want about Spider-Verse's story, but if anything, the uniqueness of the animation is one of the main things that should get it the Oscar. The Academy should be encouraging that.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You can be innovative on a technological basis but still have a standard plot (look at the criticisms James Cameron always gets). The same thing with video games. The graphics can be amazing but in the long run, it's all about how the game plays.

I just find it ridiculous that people find it one of the best films they've ever seen. It wasn't even the best comic book movie in 2018.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Holmes & Watson won Worst Picture at the Razzies. I guess the worst was saved for last.

Meanwhile, Melissa McCarthy won both Worst Actress and the Razzie Redeemer award. A rollercoaster year if there ever was one.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

W, will Evansville, Indiana spent all of tomorrow talking about Rami Malek?

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think it’s about as far away from you as it is me.

Green Book was a fairly generic film that will be forgotten in a few months. Cauron deserves both awards he got. I’m glad they didn’t give (basically) an honorary Oscar to Glenn Close. Olivia Coleman deserves that one.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I do not get the praise for Roma's cinematography. It is not a good film stylistically. Had that been in color, it would have been viewed in the same way as the look of mumblecore is: flat and uninspired.

And I mentioned Malek and Evansville because he's a University of Evansville alum (and I know it's a little far away for you but St. Louis and Kansas City get mentioned in the media near me every day). I was surprised to find that out.

As for Green Book, it's a more worthy winner than Bohemian Rhapsody or Vice. And maybe people will stop hating on Black Panther now.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Best Picture: Green Book
Best Director: Alfonso Cuaron (Roma)
Best Actress: ​Olivia Colman (The Favourite)
Best Actor: Rami Malek (Bohemian Rhapsody)
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali (Green Book)
Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Regina King (If Beale Street Could Talk)
Best Foreign-Language Film: Roma (Mexico)
Original song: Shallow from A Star Is Born by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
Best Documentary Feature: Free Solo
Best Animated Feature: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Best Animated Short: Bao
Best Original Screenplay: Green Book (Brian Hayes Currie, Peter Farrelly and Nick Vallelonga)
Best Adapted Screenplay: BlacKkKlansman (Spike Lee, David Rabinowitz, Charlie Wachtel and Kevin Willmott)
Best Original Score: Black Panther (Ludwig Goransson)
Best Visual Effects: First Man
Best Cinematography: Roma (Alfonso Cuaron)
Best Documentary Short Subject: Period. End of Sentence.
Best Live-Action Short: Skin
Best Film Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody (John Ottman)
Best Sound Editing: Bohemian Rhapsody
Best Costume Design: Black Panther (Ruth E. Carter)
Best Production Design: Black Panther (Hannah Beachler and Jay Hart)
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: Vice

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I knew Green Book would win. It's the sort of innocuous drivel that the Academy always prefer.

Slightly surprised to see Coleman win, though. Thought it was Close's for the taking. Coleman deserved it.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Academy loves mentally ill characters. It's not hard to see why she beat Close.

By the way, would it be wrong to say Glenn was Close but no cigar? 8-)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

What an unimpressive set of winners, bar very few exceptions here and there.
Fluctuat nec mergitur