Awards 2018

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Awards 2018

Post by Buscemi2 »

Isle of Dogs was lesser Anderson and Into the Spider-Verse more than filled the bill of "a popular animated film that's unique".

And when you think about it, First Man probably should have gotten some of those nominations Vice did. Both were flops but First Man was the better-received film.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Vice was considered more prestigious, though (First Man was sold as a more mainstream film).
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Screen203 wrote:Vice was considered more prestigious, though (First Man was sold as a more mainstream film).
I think it's more that the politics of Vice are something the Academy would rather see celebrated that night. I think a lot of the Vice nominations are a reach.

And I can't remember how long it's been since we've had this underwhelming of a BP list. Ugh...

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

The academy has always been politically motivated and it's just been a little more intense the last few years. If you didn't see the Black Panther best pic nom coming, you haven't been paying attention.

I'm more shocked that melissa mccarthy is now a 2 time oscar nominee.

also what happened to Won't You Be My Neighbor?'s oscar nom?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I feel Hale County and Minding the Gap stole much of Won't You Be My Neighbor?'s thunder. Those two had gotten a late push (along with Of Fathers and Sons) while Neighbor's buzz faded not long after the home video release. And even though it got no awards buzz whatsoever, On the Basis of Sex might have helped RBG get two nominations.

McCarthy was quite good in Can You Ever Forgive Me?. It's not a surprise she got nominated.

As for Black Panther, I think money and viewership numbers were bigger factors. You don't ignore a film that made $700 million domestically and got good reviews. Same reason why Get Out was nominated last year (albeit a film that made much less money).

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Post by Screen203 »

Buscemi2 wrote:I feel Hale County and Minding the Gap stole much of Won't You Be My Neighbor?'s thunder. Those two had gotten a late push (along with Of Fathers and Sons) while Neighbor's buzz faded not long after the home video release. And even though it got no awards buzz whatsoever, On the Basis of Sex might have helped RBG get two nominations.

McCarthy was quite good in Can You Ever Forgive Me?. It's not a surprise she got nominated.

As for Black Panther, I think money and viewership numbers were bigger factors. You don't ignore a film that made $700 million domestically and got good reviews. Same reason why Get Out was nominated last year (albeit a film that made much less money).
Won't You Be My Neighbor? was very popular in the mainstream media aimed at younger audiences though. I remember hearing a rave review on a mainstream pop/rhythmic station.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The real travesty is They Shall Not Grow Old. I know it did something wrong in the awards process, but it was absolutely the best doc this year and should have gotten an editing or other kind of technical nomination (if possible).
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

DGA Winners

Alfonso Cuarón, “Roma”
Tim Wardle, “Three Identical Strangers”
Bo Burnham, “Eighth Grade” - For first feature

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Spider-Verse needs to win Best Animated feature

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm convinced that Into the Spider-Verse is being vastly overrated. It's good but not one of the best films ever (as I've seen on IMDb and Letterboxd).

The animation style and the scene-stealing moments from Cage and Mulaney overshadow the fact that Miles is a boring main character and too much of the film focuses on him when everyone else is more interesting. It would be like an X-Men film focused on Mystique or Justice League focused on The Flash.

Personally, I'd rather see Incredibles 2 win but they've already awarded Into the Spider-Verse with a Special Achievement Oscar.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I'll agree that it's overrated, but it's a shoo-in for Best Animated Feature
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/disn ... 70465.html

This article says "Some Academy voters have even admitted in the past that they don’t bother to watch the animated nominees, simply checking off whatever Walt Disney Animation Studios or Pixar film happens to be nominated that year." If Spider-Verse loses for this reason, that would be TERRIBLE. Spider-Verse was on a completely different level in terms of storytelling than Incredibles 2.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

It told the same story the other Spider-Man movies told, just with several of them (and Peter finally got to grow up). Incredibles 2 was a much more entertaining and better-plotted film.

And Cartoon Brew annoys me in general. As a news source, it's good but the commenters are gullible lemmings. But animation people in general are weird and refuse to believe anything that doesn't fit their narrow-minded worldview.

StarLord123
Nick Naylor

Post by StarLord123 »

Buscemi2 wrote:It told the same story the other Spider-Man movies told, just with several of them (and Peter finally got to grow up). Incredibles 2 was a much more entertaining and better-plotted film.
Let's agree to disagree then.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Quick question: have you actually seen any of the other Spider-Man movies? You will realize that they all follow the basic plot of a student who has to save the world and get the girl. They almost never deviate from the formula.

Into the Spider-Verse was no exception. After you get past the multiple versions and Peter not being the main character, it's still about a student who has to save the world and gets the girl.