Joss Whedon to Direct Avengers

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

W
Norman Bates

Joss Whedon to Direct Avengers

Post by W »

http://www.deadline.com/2010/04/marvel- ... -avengers/

All I've ever seen that he's directed is two episodes of The Office. Really, a lot of the direction the film is going to go in should be seen in the prequels (Iron Man 1 + 2, Captain America, Thor, possibly The Incredible Hulk) but I really don't know much about this guy. Anyone have any thoughts?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

frendo
Marty McFly

Re: Joss Whedon to Direct Avengers

Post by frendo »

Makes me want to see it much, much more. Check out Firefly (TV show on for one season) and Serenity (movie based on show). Of course, he directed many eps of Buffy/Angel/Dollhouse (which was the one show of his I never completely got into, but it was cool nonetheless).

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

He also directed the vastly overrated Serenity and created Buffy (an idea that only worked as a comedy but Whedon actually felt that his idea should be taken seriously, creating another overrated creation). He's only been good as a script doctor but he's got a fanbase.

Honestly, I think this will be terrible with Whedon directing. However, his fanboys will think it's amazing.

Meanwhile, I was really hoping that Nick Cassavetes would be offered the job. Sure he's best known for The Notebook but he has a good track record and at one point was attached to both Iron Man and Captain America. Also, he was an actor in B-movies before becoming a director so he has action movie experience.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

i loved dollhouse, and it had great action in it. also firefly and serenity had this intimate but still epic feel to it . so im going to give him a benefit of a doubt, very interested

frendo
Marty McFly

Post by frendo »

Do you like anyone Busc? NC is really only known for being the son of a great director. His "good track record" is She's So Lovely (decent but pretty forgettable), Notebook (lame shit), My Sisters Keeper (same as last), John Q and Alpha Dog (both good but not great). I'm beginning to think you just hate people that people like.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

No, I just don't understand the appeal of Whedon. Serenity bored me to death (only redeeming values were Chiwetel Ejiofor and Alan Tudyk), Buffy to me was just "I don't understand the big deal" and nothing else that he's done seems that interesting. Looking back at Buffy, it's not surprising why the movie's script was rewritten to be a comedy. The concept only works as a comedy. As a serious concept, it's more ridiculous than entertaining. As a parody of the valley girl stereotype and vampire movies, it actually works. It has to acknowledge the ridiculousness and embrace it, not ignore it and pretend to be serious (this is was Twilight does and we all know what ends up happening).

Whedon's forte has always been script doctoring. He reworked the screenplay to Speed and it was awesome. He helped make the X-Men movie work (despite early negative buzz). And he was one of the writers of Toy Story (though most of that movie's success should be credited to Lasseter and Stanton). Working in groups, Whedon actually looks decent. But when he gets creative freedom and shits out some bad concept, I just don't understand the big deal.

But then again, The Avengers project has been fucked from the get-go. From its delays to the script troubles to Chris Evans being cast as Captain America, I just don't give a fuck anymore.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

I predict that the project will fall through--to some extent--and Joss Whedon will not (ultimately) direct.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

englishozzy
Clark Griswald

Post by englishozzy »

huge fan of joss whedon, im really pleased that he has been announced director :) You should also check out doctor horrible's sing-a-long blog which was done during the writers strike.
"Then telephone for an axe"

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I really don't care who's directing (as long as it's not McG or Bay), I'm just happy The Avengers is one step closer to becoming a reality.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Chris Evans was really good in Sunshine, so im going to give him the benefit of a doubt too. So i dont see why just him being in the avengers ruins the movie, it still has RDJ in the film as Iron Man and Thor and who knows what other superheroes they are going to add to the film.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I was quite intrigued to hear this news. I like Whedon, I think he was one of the figures who brought satire's back to our tv's in the 90s, and I loved Buffy (and the show was pretty cool too). Firefly is probably his strongest piece of work, and I think it's only about time he is being allowed to helm something worthy of his creativity.

I've heard some people complaining that he doesn't have a strong enough body of work in directing to take the reigns of a big action movie, and that Jon Favreau should have been given the job. But seriously, Favreau, before Iron Man, would have probably been seen in the same light. He hadn't really done anything of that scale before but he was able to do the job, so why not Whedon, who has tons of experience working behind the camera in all media, and is also very experienced working with ensemble casts, as well as being a lifelong comic fan who has actually contributed to the Marvel universe previously (and created a very good X-Men series). He seems perfect for the job.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

The nuances should already be there. RDJ is going to be the Iron Man that the world now knows, SLJ is going to be a bad ass Nick Fury, Chris Evans certainly looks the part though The Human Torch is nothing like Captain America, and an relative unknown as Thor is pretty intriguing. Plus there's a possibility of Edward Norton in a small/medium role plus there should be a ton of other super heroes/villains that will draw in some A and B level actors.

You really can't screw it up, can you? I think its a "how good is this going to be?" scenario. At least I hope so.

NSpan
Frank Booth

Post by NSpan »

W wrote:Plus there's a possibility of Edward Norton in a small/medium role
unless someone makes him angry. then it'll be a HUUUUUGE role. but you won't like him like that.
On the run from Johnny Law ... ain't no trip to Cleveland.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think the way "The Incredible Hulk" performed at the box office is going to keep him from being green. And, though I really liked the film, Hulk would probably just distract.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Why I don't like the casting of Chris Evans in Captain America:

1. the guy can't act
2. he only seems to play the cool guy or the wannabe gangsta
3. those two things do not fit Captain America

Reportedly, Alex Ross (the famed comic book artist) tried to get Paramount and Joe Johnston to cast Jon Hamm in the lead. However, Joe Johnston (who of course fucked up another classic with The Wolfman back in February) wanted a younger actor. Isn't that why we have CGI?