Nico's Review of "A Star Is Born"

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Nico's Review of "A Star Is Born"

Post by NicodemustheSage »

The Best Picture of the Year.

Despite my resume, I rarely exert myself to pen full-length reviews any more -- no one will pay me to do so that I'm aware of, any longer, and my name and cachet in "the biz" is somewhere between dogshit and oblivion, nowadays. Still, it's the truly exceptional film -- in both excellent and terrible ways -- that inspires me to sit down and pound away at the keys with the breathless abandon that now courses through me, and I do love these moments, few and far between they are.

Let's be clear: There have been three previous iterations of this filmed narrative, and every one has been exceptional for its day -- two even provided the vehicle for all-time career-defining acting turns for their headliners (Judy Garland and Barbra Streisand, both in their prime as entertainers). So to call the fourth version of a genre-establishing story, its transcendantly definitive portrayal, is a statement deserving of skepticism so deep and profound as to be indistinguishable from ridicule.

That being said: Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga have crafted a film for the ages in "A Star Is Born". There is no cliched superlative overstatement that cannot be deservedly applied: It is a revelation, a tour de force, a startlingly affecting and absolutely unforgettable piece of cinematic artistry that will leave you shattered, stunned, and exhausted in the very best ways.

It will sweep the Oscars next February. It will secure nominations in every one of the Big Five categories: Best Actress (Lady Gaga), Best Actor (Bradley Cooper), Best Adapted Sceenplay (Eric Roth, Cooper, and Will Fetters), Best Director (Cooper), and, yes: It will WIN Best Picture, delivering for the masses the most broadly-loved top-honored film the Oscars telecast has experienced in fifteen years (since "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"), breathing welcome new life into that moribund and politically riven institution. Finally, in "A Star Is Born", we again have a film that can be both utterly lionized by the cinerati and absolutely adored by theatergoers. This film will be the "Fame" of the early decades of this century. It will never be forgotten, and in terms of its very specific genre, it may never be surpassed.

Much will be written about the process of this film's development, and more will focus on the film's extraordinary quintuple-threat, actor-singer-songwriter-producer-director Bradley Cooper, who with this film vaults ahead of contemporaries like Christian Bale (likely to vie with Cooper for Best Actor, for his stunning and subtly mesmerizing transformation in "Vice" as Dick Cheney) and Joaquin Phoenix (another soon-to-be Best Actor nominee, for "Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot", a criminally underpromoted and underseen film that released earlier this Summer) into the rare air reserved for Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford and Ben Affleck as do-everything masters of their craft(s). All of it is deserved: How Cooper beat out the aforementioned Eastwood, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, and others for the chance of remaking a thrice-Hollywood classic; how he roomed with Lukas Nelson, Willie's son and heir, for a full year to learn how to play, perform, and drawl; how he, already an adequate singer, honed his craft with Gaga and various other vocal mentors, including Kris Kristofferson, to enable him to not only sing his own (his own!) songs for the film's outstanding soundtrack, but to sing them LIVE for the motion-picture cameras, instead of relying on studio wizardry and ADR synchronization magic to pull off this very special effect (Gaga's idea, bee tea dubs); how Cooper and Gaga pulled SO MUCH from their actual lives, from medical issues to addictions to the sudden death of Gaga's best friend, and tamed their demons to create an indelible work of art and therapy all but indistinguishable from their actual stories and personas. To quote a far less superior film from this century that, tragically, will always hold a far greater place in history than this movie: It's true. All of it.

And yet, we must not overlook the obvious: Bradley Cooper delivers here the performance of a lifetime, as true and resonant and compelling as that of Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler", or Russell Crowe in "The Insider", or Paul Newman in "The Color of Money". And, too, it cannot be ignored that Lady Gaga was born [heh] to play the role of Ally Maine, in the same way that no one but Madonna could have played "Evita", that none but Jennifer Hudson could have headlined "Dreamgirls", no singer-actress could ever have been Mary Rose Foster of "The Rose" but Bette Midler. Their turns as the grizzled, troubled, world-weary country-rock icon Jackson Maine, and the brilliantly talented but insecure cocktail-waitress-cum-superstar Ally, are so raw, so real, so essential, that they frankly eclipse even the career-best performances of Reese Witherspoon and Phoenix in "Walk the Line", one of the greatest portrayals of celebrity, and the struggle to love in the face of it, ever filmed.

Gaga is, as I said at the outset, a revelation. She must immediately be considered the frontrunner for Best Actress, and I do not believe anyone -- not Juliette Binoche in "Let the Sunshine In", not Rachel McAdams in "Disobedience", not Michelle Pfeiffer in "Where is Kyra?", not, even, Amy Adams in the forthcoming "Vice" -- will wrest that honor from her. She is simply a lock. The fact that she sang the film's climactic track, "I'll Never Love Again", mere hours after learning of the loss of her best friend, alone ought to merit her the Award, to be honest, but her riveting portrayal of the ascendant Ally (which reminds me so much of Renee Zellweger's role in "Jerry Maguire", another star-making turn) is staggering in its honesty, complexity, and bravery. In a single film, she has become one of the most extraordinary actresses -- Hell, talents, period -- of her generation.

Cooper's Jackson, meantime, is a study in brilliant gifts and beautiful self-destruction. One wonders how Joaquin Phoenix, River's little brother, might respond to this movie, because rocker Maine IS the long-deceased, meteoric actor come (back) to life. Again: Many will focus on his singing, playing, and strutting, but DO NOT miss the depths, the subtlety, the transparency of his stunning performance here. His haunting portrayal of an aging and imploding celebrity is the stuff of dreams... and, nightmares. I think Bale probably has Best Actor locked up.... But the four-time-nominated Cooper may just sweep The Academy, as well as filmgoers, off their feet. Regardless, don't feel too badly for Bradley -- his career has just begun in earnest, folks. This was a star-making turn for him as well. Expect to see him behind the camera much, much more.

And, yet: This is manifestly Gaga's film. Her story, and I don't only mean that of her character's. At first I was stunned that she took top billing "away" from Cooper -- but upon reflection, it could not possibly have been any other way. She is the titular star, and she has been, if not born, then at least reborn, before our very eyes.

The supporting cast is uniformly excellent: Rafi Gavron as Ally's crafty, slithery manager; Dave Chapelle as Jackson's old friend, a retired musician; Sam Elliott as his damaged but loyal older brother and manager; Ron Rifkin as a take-no-nonsense twelve-step program sponsor; and, especially, holy Hell, an all-but-unrecognizable Andrew 'Dice' Clay as Ally's disillusioned, or maybe just delusional, but loving father. WHO THE HELL KNEW THE DICEMAN COULD ACTUALLY ACT?

The cinematography is superb; the bourbon-soaked earthiness of Jackson's stage performances and the home he shares with Ally; the extravagant and bodacious color palette of Ally's drag club and pop-music rehearsal space and marketing; the washed-out, sunbleached Arizona landscape where Maine's true demons first appear to Ally. Everything is on point: The costumes, the makeup and hairstyling (Bradley Cooper's luxuriously, lavishly, indomitably unkempt mane and beard alone ought be up for an award), the set dressing, the film and sound editing, everything. Every damn thing about this film is next to perfection. (Some theatergoers may object to the "loudness" of every Jackson Maine song, but I feel that was a deliberate choice, and in keeping with one of the film's major, yet understated, subplots.)

...I will end this review with a word about the soundtrack. God DAMN, the music rocks. Forget "Almost Famous", "Rock Star", or, even, "The Bodyguard" -- all, in this particular subgenre of fictional musicians and the fictionally iconic music they create, brilliant in their way -- the songs written for this film are a new standard, and the "A Star Is Born" soundtrack is right up there with "That Thing You Do!" as far as the believability of the tracks and performers go. That film, btw, was the directorial debut of another multi-faceted and endlessly talented superstar, a legend both on and behind the camera: Tom Hanks. Every track on this album, in this film, is a winner.

This is a film that will be beloved by an entire generation. It will be nominated in at least eight major categories -- I fully expect Sam Elliott to be so honored in the Best Supporting Actor category -- and if it walks away with less than five (including Best Original Song, for "I'll Never Love Again) -- I'll eat In 'N' Out.

Do not miss this film in theaters. See it twice if you possibly can. Gaga, Bradley: You have reached a new level, with this impossibly extraordinary film. You are, both of you, far from the shallows, now.

I remain, as always...

Nico.

https://youtu.be/bo_efYhYU2A
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Nico's Review of "A Star Is Born"

Post by Buscemi2 »

Lady Gaga won't even get nominated. The Best Actress field is too crowded and I have a feeling the Academy (a lot more conservative than people think, seeing how Best Actor was won by a noted anti-Semite last time and an outed domestic abuser a year earlier) will hold Gaga's stage persona and her work with Robert Rodriguez against her. I'm thinking Olivia Colman or Felicity Jones will be the one to beat.

They'll nominate Cooper though. They've been wanting to give him an Oscar for some time but there's usually been someone better against him. He'll get Best Actor if the politics of Viggo Mortensen (whom I'm convinced will be the favorite based on how Toronto loved Green Book so much) don't turn off the voters. Otherwise, he'll get one of the other Oscars he'll surely be up for.

As for Best Picture, it's a toss-up. First Man's good but not great reviews (along with the ridiculous American flag "controversy") hurt it, The Favourite's gotten better reviews but could be too weird (but on the other hand, it's Fox and they've dominated the Oscars the past few years), Green Book's got an edge even if the reviews weren't fantastic, Black Panther's not getting nominated, If Beale Street Could Talk's too liberal (same with BlacKkKlansman and The Hate U Give), and Vice is coming far too late in the game (plus, Adam McKay already got his Oscar for The Other Guys 2). On the Basis of Sex could be a dark horse but no one's seen a thing yet. Mary, Queen of Scots seems like the surest contender but it feels like we've seen it all before while The Mule might be too mainstream (funny to note that Eastwood was initially set to direct A Star is Born...with Beyonce instead of Gaga). Roma's gotten the best reviews but it's Netflix (the boogeyman that the Academy secretly loves, how else did Icarus beat Faces Places for Best Documentary Feature while Mudbound got four nominations but the superior Detroit was shut out?).

In the end, it's going to continue being the status quo: pick the safest movie possible. Even though last year, that would have meant picking the massively overrated The Greatest Showman.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on October 6th, 2018, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

It's definitely shaping up to be a great year for film.

--Nico.
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

You see First Reformed? I'll be surprised if any film this year can top that one.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

Nope, not yet. What did you think of "A Star Is Born"?
I remain, as always.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Haven't seen it. Three versions of the same story was enough.

Also, I'm under the belief most movies directed by actors are nothing more than uncontained ego trips. They want Citizen Kane but end up with Future World.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

High praise, i'm looking forward to it.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I'll spoiler everything, I just wanted to see if I'm off base with my only real critique of the film: It seems to me that the main theme early in the film is "Be yourself, have something to say, and say it in a way to make people listen." "You don't have to look to be a pop star. My nose is disgusting. Etc." As soon as she becomes a star they're changing everything about her and turning her from a singer/songwriter into a pop queen. She goes from a strong willed woman that puts emotion into every song to someone that dyes their hair crazy colors, puts on the skimpiest outfits, and dances on the SNL stage to songs about texting a man. And not because she is that person inside, but because people changed her.

It looks like they're going to address this in the bathtub scene, but then they get into a fight and it's forgotten. It seems like she rebels with her manager by not using the dancers and whatnot then he basically says "I know what's best for you." and she's basically, "Yes sir. I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

For me Ally goes from a strong independent woman with big dreams to a "Stand By Your Man"/do what "the man" tells you type. Am I off base here?

The rest of the film is great. Both actors, the music, the addiction plot, etc. The first thirty minutes or so were maybe my favorite in this year of film. This is the one thing that still irks me about the movie and I keep thinking about it.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Brockster
Peter Gibbons

Post by Brockster »

W: I get your critique, but I also think that's kind of the point. She seems to be struggling with how to navigate her career. She's going back and forth about it. Stay true to myself, or sell out. The bathtub scene makes sense to me too. He wants to tell her she's a sellout, and that it's a bad look for her, but he's so fucked up at that moment he can't articulate his feelings.

Guys, I was blown away by this movie. I really was. Everything was great about it, including the music. It was quite an emotional roller coaster of a film. Inspiring, sad, enthralling, funny, frustrating, and complicated. LOVED IT.

My only gripe is that it ended. I was so attached to the characters I wanted to see what happened moving forward. I was also secretly hoping Cooper and Elliott's characters would join forces for a duo group, playing small venues and finally connecting with each other. Yes, I'm a sap for a happy ending :) And not the kind you get in the oriental spa.

NicodemustheSage
Fletch

I remain, as always.