Social Realist Comedies / Buddy Films

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Social Realist Comedies / Buddy Films

Post by numbersix »

Hey all,

Need your thoughts again. Looking for films that are comedies but are set in a very realistic class setting, ideally working class. The more realistic the better

Examples I can think of are This is England, Somerstown Happy Go Lucky, The Young Offenders, The Angel's Share, East is East.

Also, realistic buddy movies involving two very different protagonists who constantly bicker. Like The Guard.

Any thoughts?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Social Realist Comedies / Buddy Films

Post by Buscemi2 »

Dumb and Dumber? :)

Yeah, it doesn't seem there are many of these in the US. It's all about "will it play in China?" or "will it play in the South?" so we end up ramping up the ridiculous or making it about explosions and forcing Ryan Reynolds or Adam Devine onto audiences.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I watched a couple of movies in the past fortnight in a working class environment but they are in America so no idea if its realistic but i think its slightly over the top: they are called Waiting and Employee of the Month. Also The Promotion springs to mind.

There is an Aussie movie, low budget, fairly realistic called Kenny and one of my fav Aussie comedies called The Castle

Key word to buddy movies is Realistic, well theres nothing close to realistic about Hollywood buddy movies, so thats a fair challenge, ill think a bit and get back to you on that one
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Not sure if The Way, Way Back exactly fits but it's got a lot of elements to that. And it's brilliant.