MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2018 (SUMMER EDITION)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2018 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by numbersix »

Forget the sunshine, let's beat it with hi-tech A/C blasting us into an icy heaven as we slurp over-priced liquid sugar and consume things not even Dr Strange could conjure up.

Here's what I'm looking forward to

Maybes: Sicario 2, Cargo, Leave no Trace, Blindspotting, Deadpool 2, BlacKkKlansman
Seen and like: Revenge, Beast, The Endless

10: Solo: a Star Wars Story
Yes, I am be immune to Marvel's cinematic universe, but my inner child won't let me not see this, despite Hacky McHackface taking over

9: The Happytime Murders
It sounds crazy, like a modern take on Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It just might work.

8: How to Talk to Girls At Parties
Yeah, the buzz has been bad, but it looks quirky enough to give it a go, particularly considering the director's previous films

7: The Incredibles 2
I'm wary of Pixar sequels, but of all of them this is probably the most deserved one.

6: The Little Stranger
hmm... Lenny A doing a horror is quite a strange choice, but Room was so good that I have to check this one out.

5: The Miseducation of Cameron Post
I liked the director's previous film, and considering the big win in Sundance I really need to check this out.

4: Hold the Dark
Jeremy Saulnier's next film is of course a must-see, even if the only way to see it is on Netflix

3: Under the Silver Lake
An odd trailer, but It Follows is one of the best films of the last decade, so I'm 100% there.

2: American Aminals
Good buzz from Sundance, and I loved the director's documentary The Imposter. And it seems pretty inventive.

1: Hereditary
what a trailer. And if it's anything like A24's other famed horrors then I'm probably going to dig this.
Last edited by numbersix on May 4th, 2018, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2018 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by Buscemi2 »

Outside of Incredibles 2 and Hereditary, I figure I'll just watch what interests me (so, revivals and obscure things).

Meanwhile, I'd call Doug Liman Hacky McHackface. Liman could never make a film as good as Splash.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Hold the Dark sadly got delayed as a result of the delightful Netflix/Cannes dispute. It's now set to be released in the fall after it premieres at either Telluride, Venice or Toronto. Moving onto my list....:

10.Sorry to Bother You
9.Solo
8.The First Purge
7.Ocean's 8
6.American Animals
5.Deadpool 2
4.Hotel Artemis
3.Tag
2.Upgrade
1.Sicario 2

Other titles I'm at least semi-interested in:
Tully
Beast
Ibiza
Action Point
Adrift
Alex Strangelove
Hereditary
Superfly
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
Under the Silver Lake
Leave No Trace
Uncle Drew
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Skyscraper
The Equalizer 2
Mission-Impossible: Fallout
The Miseducation of Cameron Post
Mile 22
The Spy Who Dumped Me
BlackKkKlansman
The Meg
Juliet, Naked
The Happytime Murders
Three Seconds
Last edited by transformers2 on May 4th, 2018, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

A little different take:

Movie I'll be seeing with my wife: Ocean's 8. She's more excited about this than any other movie with the possible exception of our family choice.

Movie I'll be seeing with my oldest (college student): Happytime Murders. We both love creative, slightly odd movies. Some of his faves are Train to Busan and What we do in the Shadows.

Movie I'll be seeing with my Senior: Uncle Drew. He loves sports, and loves comedies. And I think this will be hilarious.

Movie I'll be seeing with my 8th grader Potter-fan: She's a girl - and dang there is not a whole lot targeted for them this summer. Movie execs still think it's a boys world. Maybe Mamma Mia will hold us over until Fantastic Beasts

Movie I wish I could see with my 5th grader: Crazy Rich Asians. Our youngest daughter is adopted from China, and the number of movies where she "sees herself" is pitifully small.

Movie I'll be seeing with the whole family: Incredibles 2! Everyone is excited for this one

Movie I'll be seeing for me: Solo. Once a Star Wars fan - always a Star Wars fan. Next up would probably be Blindspotting.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I hadn't heard of The Happytime Murders until now, but it sounds intriguing. Definitely Roger Rabbit meets Greg The Bunny, so if the buzz is any good I'm in.

I cut off my home internet last year, so I'm pretty clueless as to what's coming up, and don't even watch trailers unless I catch them in a theatre, which rarely happens since my favourite indie theatres don't show many trailers.

Hereditary is one I'll probably check out, as well as Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot because any movie without an instantly forgettable, one-word title is worth considering in my book. The Endless is slowly making it's way around theatres right now, so folks should definitely check that out if they get a chance.

And I'll catch The Incredibles 2 eventually, unless word on the street is that it fails to live up to the original.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Great list Walleye

ll try to come up with 10, but i'll divide them, so you can see the level of excitement.

Looking forward to catching on Netflix (or the highly unlikely scenario that we've seen the top six and we still have a free evening to go watch a movie... )

10. Disney's Christopher Robin - I grew up on the series, so there some nostalgia there and wanting to introduce my kids to it. however i am not impressed by the trailer and the character design is almost creepy... who was in charge? i feel like this could have been a great chance to do an animated/live action hybrid

9. The Meg - B movie with a production budget of an A movie, i'm in. plus there's a huge ass megalodon (why isnt this being released Shark Week?)

8. The Spy Who Dumped Me - There were a few laughs in the trailer, id watch it

7. Crazy Rich Asians - have always been a fan of Michelle Yeoh and honestly it just looks different, sad to say

Might go see if we do a movie night and have seen the top 3 (but most likely wait for dvd)

6. Solo - they guy playing Han looks like a has the acting capability of a cardboard box in the trailer. however it is still a star wars movie.

5. Ant Man and The Wasp - Paul Rudd was hilarious last time and have always been a fan of Evangeline Lilly

4. Mission Impossible - I really feel like Cruise's ego and 'real stunts' have taken of the series, but seriously, we don't get much spy mystery movies anymore. Wish there were more.

Will go see at the Cinema

3. Oceans 8 - so not impressed by the first trailer hoping they saved the good parts for the movie. (haven't seen any after, trying not to spoil myself). I'll be a lifelong Sandy fan, will go see anything she makes.

2. Jurassic World 2 - (Ditto on the Trailer) Also, have a soft spot for the Jurassic movies. Even if they not great, will go have a fun time and support them. Still hoping it's better than the first one though.

1. Incredibles 2 - My favorite Pixar movie finally gets a sequel, instead of those damn toys and cars. Have huge expectations that will probably not be met, but oh well, such is all of life, no?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Already seen and highly recommended : Gabriel and the mountain, The Day After, Beast
Already seen, worth a look : Revenge, Summer 1993, Don't worry, he won't get far on foot

10. The Meg : I'm a sucker for a good ol' silly shark movie.

9. How to talk to girl at parties : It's been a year since it premiered in Cannes, it probably isn't that great, but Mitchell is such an audacious director, I'm always curious for his films.

8. The Incredibles 2 : Pixar. What else ?

7. Blindspotting : I really liked the trailer, I hope it will get released in France.

6. Mission Impossible Fallout : The MI movies are consistently fun since the 4th.

5. BlacKkKlansman : Might it be Spike Lee's comeback ? Word is the film is fun, I'm curious.

4. Leave no trace : Interesting director, cast, premise, I'm intrigued.

3. Solo : Hollywood wise, ain't nothing as exciting this summer. Star Wars baby.

2. Hereditary : I'm probably gonna shit my pants watching it, but it definitely looks in the vein of the great recent horror films.

1. Under the silver lake : It looks crazy, it's in competition in Cannes, and it's from the director of It Follows.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Revenge is playing at my neighbourhood theatre next week, but it looks a little too stylized for my tastes, kinda like that other French film I skipped, Let the Corpses Tan. Is this a new trend in French action movies? And where are these French people getting all these guns?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:And where are these French people getting all these guns?
Donald Trump sold them illegally to us.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

That might explain all those baseball bats getting into Russia.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hmm nice thread, i had heard some things about some of these but didnt watch any trailers until tonight, heres what im looking forward to seeing the most:

7. The Incredibles 2 - The trailer doesnt look as amazing as the movie should and will be

6. Dark Money - I like this kind of stuff

5. Solo - I mean who doesn't like Star Wars (losers obviously wink wink john) plus its got Childish Gambino as Lando

4. Hotel Transylvania 3 - Genndy Tartarovsky's directional style is among the best for animation

3. Under the Silver Lake - It follows was highly original, plus the cast looks great here

2. Sicario 2 - No Denis, No Emily B (yeah, i wish she was married to me), No Worries. Its got the next best things in Brolin and Del Toro.

and by a million miles...
1. Hereditary - The trailer looks sick, last time i saw a horror movie trailer this good was Get Out...
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Any of you festival folk seen any of these yet? I plan to see Hereditary, but the only other one I've heard of is The Devil And Father Amorth.

https://viff.org/Online/2018-rupture

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Gonna see An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn later in the month, although if it's anything like The Greasy Strangler it'll be a borderline patience-tester/work of disruptive genius.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh and American Animals is meant to be great.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

numbersix wrote:Gonna see An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn later in the month, although if it's anything like The Greasy Strangler it'll be a borderline patience-tester/work of disruptive genius.
Universal's home entertainment division just picked this one up. Word out of Sundance was mixed.