The Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2018

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Re: The Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2018

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Surprised Blade Runner didnt get Cinematography and best cast to I Tonya. But happy Get Out was recognised and even more keen to watch that Fish movie tonight :)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

Really interesting awards. Agreed with a number of them, but some big disagreements on a few. I was obviously pretty passionate about Coco and Logan and Baby Driver, I thought those were the most original movies of the year, and Coco was the best of the year in my opinion. But a variety of winners which always shows the is a really well rounded group. Thanks for doing this!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Thanks for hosting the awards in my stead, tranny, you accomplished it with grace. Sorry I could not be around for it, but 2am starts and work in the morning do not mix. However, it was great to see such a mix in regards to the diversity of the winners. Recognition for The Shape of Water and Call Me By Your Name were appreciated. Shocked by the Best Animated Feature, though for me a lesser Pixar should not win just for existing, so good to see something fresh win. A little surprised Frances McDormand didn't win, but can't fault Hawkins winning either

Good job all round, anyway. I intend to relieve you of the burden next year, tranny, if you're good with that. But good to know the awards are always in very capable hands in my absence.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well done for hosting, Tranny. Shame I couldn't be there, but I was tucked up in bed.

Some big surprises. Shape of water is a nice film but I did feel like it won due to a spreading out of votes in the Academy. Wonder if it was the same here. I suppose the best I can say is that at least it opens the doors for genre films to be just as important as award-bait films. However, I wasn't a huge fan of the Amelie-wannabe score.

Get Out feels like a winner here, picking up three awards.

Blade Runner got no love - surely it deserved FX and cinematography. Poor Roger Deakins.

Funny DDL won the award, when the Oscar winner wasn't even nominated!

Hilarious that Your Name beat Coco. Did not see that happening. Although anyone who hasn't should check out Your Move, a clover, emotional movie (just ignore the embarrassing soundtrack).

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Thanks Tranny for hosting, and sorry for not geing around. Middle of the night here, just before a monday morning at work !

Interesting list of winners, and I'm quite surprised we picked the same film as the Academy. I really liked it, but felt there were a few films more deserving of the big prize. But it's a good film, a genre film, a film with love for Jeunet's cinema, so it's good. I was afraid Baby Driver would win.
And all the other films (or most of them) got a piece of the cake, so it's fine.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Thanks, Tranny for doing the heavy lifting this year. I was sort of watching it all unfold on my phone, but posting in this forum is a nightmare from a phone so I was silently squinting throughout.

It was inevitable that our Best Picture winner would sync up with the Oscars eventually since we've always been even whiter than the Academy, and now we're nearly as old. The Shape Of Water is the best film the Academy's recognized in a decade, so I'm glad this was the year we matched up.

I think Del Toro deserved to win Best Director over Jordan Peele, if only because Shape Of Water was a much more ambitious and challenging film to pull off, and he did it beautifully. And Peele will have more chances if Get Out wasn't just a fluke.

The biggest surprise to me is that a film featuring Sebastian Stan somehow managed to win best cast. I haven't seen I, Tonya, but it seems like it received way more praise in this forum than virtually anywhere else.

And I was secretly rooting for Hugh Jackman to win for Logan. DDL was good, but it felt like his character wasn't that different from DDL in real life, while Jackman goes through an extraordinary transformation every time he plays that character, and it would have been nice to see him acknowledged for a decade-plus of under-appreciated work.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote: And I was secretly rooting for Hugh Jackman to win for Logan. DDL was good, but it felt like his character wasn't that different from DDL in real life, while Jackman goes through an extraordinary transformation every time he plays that character, and it would have been nice to see him acknowledged for a decade-plus of under-appreciated work.
While I can't say Jackman in Logan gave a "great" performance, seeing him be so damn camp in interviews does suggest he's putting a helluva lotta work into being Wolverine.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I sincerely apologize for slighting all of the wonderful European residents on this site by hosting the awards at such an unholy hour. The final ballots coming in a bit late put me in a rough spot and since I was unsure of my availability next weekend or what the turnout would be if I did it on a weeknight, I decided to go ahead with doing the ceremony last night.

As for all of your awards related questions/observations,

six: Shape of Water won in large part due to high votes from Boosh, John, W and surfer. Get Out was in striking distance and I, Tonya made a late surge, but Grinding Nemo's early lead was just too much to surmount.

As for Blade Runner, it came very close to winning both Best Visual Effects and Cinematography, but Banks' ballot pushed The Shape of Water and War for the Planet of the Apes into the winner's circle.

Your Name's Best Animated Feature win over Coco was easily the biggest shock of the night for me as well. surfer's ballot ended up being the difference in that 2-horse race.

surfer: McDormand actually finished in 3rd behind Robbie and Hawkins. Outside of Best Supporting Actress and Best Adapted Screenplay, it was the most lopsided category of the night with Hawkins winning by 6 points.

And I'm more than good with you hosting next year. I had fun running the show, but these awards just didn't feel the same without you as master of ceremonies.

Chien: Baby Driver only finished ahead of Coco and Raw in Best Picture voting, so there was no danger of it winning Best Picture (or any other award for that matter).

John: Your wishes almost came true as Jackman (and McAvoy) both finished 1 point behind Captain Method Acting and del Toro finished 1 point behind Peele. It's funny that you mention Stan because one of my friends went on a lengthy rant about how he hated him after I said that I loved I, Tonya (he still hasn't seen the film). I'm not going to guarantee you'll enjoy his work in the film, but it was the 1st time he ever left an impression on me (although he's still nowhere as good as Robbie, Janney or Paul Walter Hauser).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

transformers2 wrote:Grinding Nemo
:lol:

Points!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Sadly I didn't come up with it, but I'll take the points the anyways ;)
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've long been surprised that Sebastian Stan's career survived The Covenant.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

JohnErle wrote: since we've always been even whiter than the Academy
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Thanks for doing this Tranny!

The Shape of Water is the best good movie that nobody hated, as usual. I really hoped I, Tonya would pull off the upset, but I did expect Get Out after it pulled some awards early.

I personally pulled for both Dafne Keen and Vicky Krieps for Breakthrough, as I believe both are their debuts and they completely carried their movies, respectively. Kaluuya was good as well, but those two blew me away.

I still haven't seen Coco or Your Name honestly, but now I'm curious to check out both.

I agree stongly with 3/4 acting award, Hawkins and DDL were both incredible. I didn't like Sam Rockwell in his role, and Dafoe deserved it, both here and at the Oscars.

Raw is currently on US Netflix, so for anyone like me that hasn't seen it yet. Will check it out now with the RS stamp of approval.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Well, we're less hypocritical than the Oscars, that's for sure.

And we actually pay attention to the Best Actress category.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

transformers2 wrote:I sincerely apologize for slighting all of the wonderful European residents on this site by hosting the awards at such an unholy hour.
No need man, we all know it's Banks fault. ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur