Sundance 2018

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Sundance 2018

Post by Buscemi2 »

The committee has learned from the previous festival's mistakes of too many comedies and political documentaries and become more about dramas and social documentaries (though I'm convinced that men's rights activists will find a way to get the Gloria Allred documentary screenings canceled as they love to play the persecution card) but otherwise, it just looks like more films that Netflix will buy by the truckload, things that won't make a dime (another Aubrey Plaza film, a dystopian film about telemarketers, an Americanized remake of The Kindergarten Teacher), and films that don't speak to their audience. In addition, no Call Me by Your Name/Get Out type movie in the bunch (maybe Monster or Brett Haley's musical becomes this movie but both have question marks).

Lastly, does anyone else find it odd that the Next umbrella has films from filmmakers who've had previous films released (I noticed at least two)?

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/sunda ... 202625522/
Last edited by Buscemi2 on November 30th, 2017, 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Sundance 2018

Post by numbersix »

A film my company was involved in, Westwood, is in international doc competition!

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:A film my company was involved in, Westwood, is in international doc competition!
Congrats! That's fucking awesome!
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Cool !! Does that mean you're going to Park City, or are you gonna be the one staying at the London office hoping your boss breaks a leg and send you in his place ?
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Actually, don't think any of us are going, because we only just provided some finance, and weren't directly producing. Would love to though!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Winners: http://www.sundance.org/blogs/news/2018 ... l-awards#/

This was an odd year, as many of the winners failed to get distribution and the Time's Up rally got more attention than most of the films screened (Hereditary, which was a late addition, seemed to get the most buzz in terms of films shown).

Now watch Netflix pick up a lot of the films for a lower price than had they been picked up at the festival (I wouldn't be surprised if The Miseducation of Cameron Post got picked up below seven figures).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.