Awards Season 2017

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: Awards Season 2017

Post by Chienfantome »

Glad to see Good Time and The Rider get some love, two very good films deserving of such nominations.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Beatriz at Dinner was a hit at the box office and its political relevance likely helped too.

I don't understand the Columbus love. That whole film played like a parody of indie films, but done totally straight.

But Get Out as an indie? I feel that the only reason why it was eligible was the budget ($4.5 million). Otherwise, that was a studio film through and through. Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets is more indie than Get Out.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Call Me by Your Name won at the Gotham Awards while Get Out won the most awards (probably because it was likely the only film a lot of the voters saw). Seeing how Moonlight won at Gotham last year, does this favor Call Me by Your Name or would one of the Fox titles still seem like the favorite?

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Considering that Three Billboards and Shape of Water might prove to be too dark/odd, I'd say yes.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Post wins the National Board of Review's Best Picture award. However, the NBR has rarely predicted the Best Picture winner (though they did get Spotlight right).

I've also seen Lady Bird listed as the favorite to some people based on reviews. Not buying it as the promotion won't be there (in addition, it was shut out of Gotham's Best Picture category) and Boyhood didn't win three years ago. Also, wouldn't it be kind of hypocritical for the industry to criticize the casting couch and then award a film that only got made for similar reasons? Of course, they've pretty much ignored the anti-Semitism problem.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

While you're correct that the National Board of Review's Best Film and Best Picture winner rarely overlap, Slumdog Millionaire, not Spotlight, was the last film to win both honors.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi2 wrote:Also, wouldn't it be kind of hypocritical for the industry to criticize the casting couch and then award a film that only got made for similar reasons?
How do you figure that?

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

If Greta Gerwig wasn't dating Noah Baumbach (it's also why her acting career didn't die with the Arthur remake and we forever see her in TV spinoffs no one asked for) or serving as his muse after Baumbach's marriage ended, no way Lady Bird gets made. Lots of projects like this one either never get made or are ultra-low budget films that do nothing for its audience or box office (Did you see Super Dark Times? That was nothing more than a lame rehash of River's Edge.). Gerwig essentially slept her way into getting the film made in the same way a lot of struggling young actors will do anything to get a role.

It kind of sets back the industry for women when all the production says is, "If you want to make your movie, break up someone's marriage and play a cheap stereotype the media thinks is a generational thing because Lena Dunham convinced them it's true". The movie might be good (though the trailer makes it feel like it's Gerwig making a film about herself and that if she could have, she would have played herself and totally ignored the age difference) but I just don't like how she gets projects made.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Woah, that's some spurious logic there, Boosch. Casting Gerwig as someone who broke up Baumbach's marriage is huge speculation there. Lots of actresses end up with directors, and absolutely everyone in film uses their relationships and advantages to take opportunities. The difference is that Gerwig made a great film , unlike Brie Larson's Uniconrn Store which is meant to be awful and got largely ignored.

Saying being in a relationship (which is still ongoing) with a director is the same as institutionalised sexual abuse is just wrong.