New countdown list

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Screen203
Clark Griswald

Re: New countdown list

Post by Screen203 »

Shrykespeare wrote:
Interesting how a lot of music from the early part of the millennium that I hated before, I've mellowed on considerably. (Except for Limp Bizkit - still think they SUCK.)
It would be disturbing to find anyone who dosen't hate Limp Bizkit.
It's not destroying. It's making something new.

Image courtesy of -
https://nerdist.com/annihilation-shimmer-ending-explained/

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Screen203 wrote:
Shrykespeare wrote:
Interesting how a lot of music from the early part of the millennium that I hated before, I've mellowed on considerably. (Except for Limp Bizkit - still think they SUCK.)
It would be disturbing to find anyone who dosen't hate Limp Bizkit.
Sup
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

It's all about the he-said she-said bullshit
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

As much as I would love to listen to deep album cuts, I simply don't have time. I stopped buying CD's around the turn of the century, and I haven't downloaded any music in about the same time. YouTube is pretty much my source for all music. (Yeah, I know, I'm a dinosaur.)

Only about 15 of the songs on my Top 100 list ten years ago were from 2000 and on, and while I'm sure they'll all be on this new list somewhere, I may have a few surprises in store for y'all. I'm prepared for the fact that my choices might induce a few eye-rolls too. But I can live with that, seeing as how I'm older than almost all y'all.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm in a slightly different situation.

I've roughly 800 albums owned since 2000, so that's about 8000 songs to boil down to 100 or so (I'll probably need 5 extra neary-made-its). I'd be shocked it any of them made the Billboard Top 100.

Since 2000 the music industry has changed so fundamentally that there's next to no crossover from indie to mainstream. There'll probably never be another Nirvana. Or a Bowie. Or a Beatles.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

numbersix wrote: Since 2000 the music industry has changed so fundamentally that there's next to no crossover from indie to mainstream. There'll probably never be another Nirvana. Or a Bowie. Or a Beatles.
Very good point. I don't even know what it would look like in today's landscape.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I think there's still a crossover for albums, but not for singles. Radio only plays the absolute worst lowest-common-denominator crap, but bands like Arcade Fire and Vampire Weekend are still able to score #1 albums. If you have a big enough base of loyal fans willing to rush out and buy the album in its first week, that's often enough to push you near the top. They usually only stay on top for one week, but still. I remember when Cake landed their first #1 album in 2011. It wasn't because they suddenly started selling more, it was simply because everyone else was selling less, and it was the worst selling #1 album of all-time, a record I assume has been beaten multiple times since then.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Looks like the Canadian (and UK) albums charts are very different to the US. Just a glance at Arcade Fire's Reflektor and it was #1 in the UK and #135 in the US

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:I'm in a slightly different situation.

I've roughly 800 albums owned since 2000, so that's about 8000 songs to boil down to 100 or so (I'll probably need 5 extra neary-made-its). I'd be shocked it any of them made the Billboard Top 100.

Since 2000 the music industry has changed so fundamentally that there's next to no crossover from indie to mainstream. There'll probably never be another Nirvana. Or a Bowie. Or a Beatles.
Holy SHIT, dude.

I know I'm selling myself short by sticking to the Charts, but that's what I get for living under a musical rock for twenty years. Hopefully my choices will garner more encouraging nods and fist-pumps than eye-rolls.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

numbersix wrote:Looks like the Canadian (and UK) albums charts are very different to the US. Just a glance at Arcade Fire's Reflektor and it was #1 in the UK and #135 in the US
I think you got that #135 from the year end charts, which covers total sales, but according to Wikipedia and Billboard, Reflektor debuted at #1 in the US. So did The Suburbs and Everything Now, and Neon Bible peaked at #2. Funeral and The Suburbs both went Gold. Throw in the Grammy win, the major label distribution, the appearances on SNL and countless late night talk shows, and Arcade Fire crossed over to the mainstream a long time ago. Whether they can maintain that is the question. Their last two albums had no staying power in the US, hence Reflector's #135 on the year end chart, so it remains to be seen whether they have enough goodwill left over to score another #1 album in America. Everything Now was a lot more successful in the UK than I realized, so they still have that and Canada to fall back on if they've lost America.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ah okay, I stand corrected!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Which is not to say they've achieved Taylor Swift levels of success or anything, but I think the label "mainstream" certainly applies. Radiohead and Arctic Monkeys are two more examples of modern bands who blur the lines between indie and mainstream.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

What about indie artists who have achieved mainstream success with just one or two songs? (only to disappear again back to the indie world)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Ron Burgundy wrote:What about indie artists who have achieved mainstream success with just one or two songs? (only to disappear again back to the indie world)
What about them? All songs are eligible if they're from the last twenty years. I just hope all songs that are selected can be provided via audio or video file.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Oh im just saying there may be one hit wonder indie artists who kinda went mainstream for a while, in relation to six saying no indie's go mainstream these days.

And no idea how he managed 8000 albums since the millenium, isnt that like 400 a year- more than 1 album a day?! Im lucky if i get familiar with a single album every 6-12 months!

But think i mostly listen to a single song instead of an album its something to do with listening mostly to radio, finding your fav artists new hits on youtube, hearing em play at a mates house, spotify etc. Strange times when radio is your main source of new music.

Last album i listened to in full was the new Tool, and that was only coz of a mate who loves em. Before that, Tame Impala

Started to scratch at what my top songs are and though its probably way less than most of you, im finding its gonna get pretty tough, so many songs!

Oh btw, is there any website that lets you collate this top 100 songs? like imdb or letterbox does for movies? Notepad sucks
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale