New countdown list

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: New countdown list

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:I've started to asemble my list, for now about a third of my list consists of songs not in English language. Mostly French of course, but also 4 or 5 other languages. I hope you won't be allergic to songs you won't understand the lyrics of ;)
This reminded me to add some Sigur Ros to my Spotify playlist, but I haven't listened to them in a decade and I'll be damned if I can remember which of those songs I used to like based on those nonsensical titles.

My list of songs to review keeps growing and growing as I remember other artists I haven't listened to in a while, then I click on the "similar artists" tab and that leads me to several more I used to like. Y'all would be cool with 100 honourable mentions, right?

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

It's early yet, but I'm going to post this anyway as y'all seem to already be composing your lists:

I'm hoping to have us start on February 1. You need not necessarily have hammered your ENTIRE list into order by then, but I'm going to at least need your first ten picks (#100 - #91) by go time.

Here is what I would like to have for each listed song that you send to me:

1. List position - what number the song appears at on your list.

2. Song title

3. Artist (include any other featured artists if it is a collaboration)

4. Year of release (either on an album or as a single). (If it's not available as a single, feel free to let us know what album it's on so it'll be easier to find and download)

5. YouTube link - As YT has some strange rules, and many of us live in different countries, it's possible that whichever video you choose may not be playable in all countries... but we'll deal with that as we go. If the song you chose is NOT on YouTube (or all the version on YT suck), find a way to provide us with a link we can use to listen to a better version.

Tip - Many songs are available in several versions. I urge you to pick the one with the best sound quality. If the artist did do a video for the song, only pick that if the sound quality is excellent and the video actually adds a visual component to an excellent audio experience. I personally don't like videos that come off as mini-movies, and the spoken dialogue or action sounds shove the actual song into the background for a length of time. You may, of course, choose live versions or extended remixes of a song if you think it is the best version - but if it's more than, say, 8-10 minutes long, tell us why you believe the extended version is the best one. Which leads me to the last thing...

6. Personal opinion - Give us 1-3 paragraphs as to why this song made your list. You can dissect the song to its basic components, praise its awesome guitar riffs or drum solos, or tell us how the song affected you on a personal level. Music is the best when it does that. Even if the song is a guilty pleasure that you blush when you admit you like it (hey, I have a few of those on my list, and am prepared for the unremitting hatred and eye-rolls I'll receive when I unveil them), we're not going to think less of you for choosing it (unless it's Limp Bizkit). After all, every song has at least a few people who like it (unless it's Limp Bizkit). Hell, if any of you dads out there want to include a kiddie pop song that your pride and joy can't live without, feel free.

That's about it. I will repost this over the next two months as a reminder.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'm definitely going to need 5 or so songs that just missed the list.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:I'm definitely going to need 5 or so songs that just missed the list.
We can do that in late January.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Okay, I now have 100 songs for my list. I was initially worried I wasn't going to find 100 songs I like well enough to put on the list, but I blew right past that number.

Sneak preview? Geezer will have his Against Me! JohnErle will have his Steve Earle. I got my Pet Shop Boys.

(Yes, THOSE Pet Shop Boys.)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Finding 100 songs isn't a problem. Limiting to 100, and esecially, ordering them, that's my problem.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

So how many of you guys use Spotify? That would be a much more convenient way for me to listen to your picks if I don't know them already. I don't pay for internet at home because the ISPs in Vancouver all SUUUUUCK, I can't listen to YouTube videos at work, and watching all those videos on my phone would use up too much data.

I have a playlist of 300+ songs I'm using to whittle down my picks and I'd be happy to share that with anyone once the countdown begins, or at the end to maintain some suspense. Or maybe I'll create a new playlist and add the songs in order on a regular basis once I start to rank them.

Or I can just queue up your picks I want to check out on my own if no one else is making a playlist.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I use it relatively often. I'd have no problem adding my songs to a playlist as they're revealed in addition to providing the YouTube links.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've never used Spotify, I must be an old schnock.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I don't use Spotify either. I have Tidal, as that pays the artists a tiny bit more than Spotify, but I don't use it that much. If I like an album I prefer to own if, even if it's just a digital file. I'm not sure what an old schnock is, but I'm probably one too.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:I'm not sure what an old schnock is, but I'm probably one too.
Oops, I mixed my French slang in there...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:I've never used Spotify, I must be an old schnock.
Is that anything like a loud-mouthed schnook?

If not too many of you use Spotify I'll just find the tracks I need to listen to on my own, but the offer still stands to share my playlist with anyone who wants it.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I do not use Spotify. I am definitely an old schnook. **waves cane**

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I don't think I could live without Spotify anymore. It's totally changed the way I listen to music. I would be happy to create a playlist and update it each day.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Hey y'all.

We have just over a month before our countdown begins. I hope you've all at least BEGUN to compile your Top 100 Songs of the Millennium lists.

You all have my email address, I assume.

I would prefer you all send me your first 5, 10, or 20 picks well before our proposed start date of 2/1/20.

How much you comment on your choices is up to you. Here is what I need from you with each entry, in addition to the comment.

Song Name
Artist
Year of Release (either as a single or an album cut)
YouTube link (if one doesn't exist, provide another way - preferably free - that we can listen to the song)

When choosing a video, please make sure you select one with good sound quality. Whether this is an actual video that singer/band did or a fanmade lyric video is up to you. Just keep in mind that we're all going to have a lot of songs to listen to on a daily basis, so if one of your songs is Green Day's "Jesus in Suburbia", consider whether providing the link for the nine-minute mini-movie that the song is set to really adds anything to the song. If not, go for a shorter version.

Looking forward to this!