New countdown list

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: New countdown list

Post by JohnErle »

A quick list of stand-up comedians could be fun, especially if people post clips I may not have seen before.

The top music of the millennium is still doable, but would take more time to put together unless it's also going to be a short list.

The top actors/actresses thing was surprisingly tricky. I remember doing a rough initial list, but found it very hard to narrow it down or decide who my #1 would be. Top bands seems much easier by comparison, maybe because an artist can be active for twenty years and release maybe 10 albums, but an actor might have 100 performances in the same time frame, and they won't all be first rate.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

I think I'd be in for Top Standups or Animations. I haven't seen that many Docs, but I could only think of 5 that I really like.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

A standup list would be fun, especially since it's not like anything we've done before. Actors/actress would be painstaking and damn near impossible for me, but I'm cool with doing a best of the millennium music list at some point down the line.

Also six mentioned, doing a best of the decade movie list after next year would be great and probably essential for us to do.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ok, thanks for the timely feedback, i will go ahead and start thinking of my fav comedians, how many are we thinking? 6? 8?
I will give you all 2 weeks to scratch yo head, that should be plenty of time for a short list like this. SO we shall begin this Top 6/8/? comedians list countdown on September 3 which is a Monday.

And for the music countdown im keen, even if i barely listen to new stuff anymore. What will it be though: songs? albums? artists? And what number 20? 30? 50? I think we can start this one any time after the stand up comedians one, with a decent amount of thinking time given ofc. Im thinking October
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I could do 10 comedians pretty easily. There are a lot out there.

For music I'm thinking songs since 2000 rather than albums, which may throw a few folks off. I could do 100 songs, but again happy to fit in line with what others think they could do.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

I agree with six, 10 seems like a good number for comedians.

Top Songs or albums of the 2000's so far is fine by me, but I'm definitely going to need a fair amount of time to compile that list
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

10 is a nice, round number for comedians.

And if we do a music of the millennium countdown it should definitely be songs, since doing albums would probably have a lot of overlap with the overall album list we did.

I still think an all-time favourite musical artists list could be interesting since that would probably produce some different results. Some of my favourite artists are people who I don't think of in terms of albums since I first started listening to them via compilations, or the internet.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ok, so 10 is the magic number for standups.

And i think songs is the winner for music, so start racking your brain: Top 100 songs from 2000 onward
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I'm up for any musical countdown/list. For the last few years I listen to on average three albums a day.
My best albums since 2000 would have very little overlap with the overall as that was quite a few years ago now and there has been so much great music in the last few years since then, as well as my all time back then was 80s and 90s dominated.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

As prep for the standup comedy list, I've been watching clips of some comics I loved back in the 80s and 90s, and a lot of them didn't exactly hold up. Doing a top 5 will be easy, but I don't watch as much standup as I used to, so rounding out the top 10 will be trickier than I thought, especially since I can't in good conscience list Bill Cosby, even though I memorized a couple of his albums when I was a kid. I might have to preface a few of my picks with "Well, it seemed funny at the time."

Walleye413
Marv

Post by Walleye413 »

For comedians what are you guys thinking? Does a Jon Stewart count? A Trevor Noah? They have done stand-up but are now mostly TV guys.

And JE I'm with you. A lot of things I laughed at in the 80's would make me cringe now.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I have one I'm thinking of who technically isn't a standup, and istead writes comedy TV and also acts.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

It's tricky because standup usually leads to other things. I'd include them as long as standup comedy is at least part of what they're known for, and you actually enjoy what they do in that medium. If we limited it to people who exclusively do standup, that would eliminate the vast majority of my list. I would include both Stewart and Noah, and at least one late night host will make my list, but not Stephen Colbert since the monologue on The Late Show was the first time he'd done any kind of standup.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I've become under the belief that stand-up is fast becoming irrelevant in an era where our culture has become so divisive. We have so many people getting specials and others who think they've got a shot but in the end, it's only big names like Kevin Hart and Amy Schumer that get the success. And people find Bill Burr funny for some reason.

The glory days of stand-up ended with the emergence of Dane Cook, it seems like. There were hacky comedians before him (95% of prop comedians, Jeff Dunham, comedians that base their shtick on shock and mother-in-law jokes) but Cook made it to where anyone could do it without even trying. And he led to Daniel Tosh, possibly the laziest comedian ever (when you ape YouTube celebrities, that's as low as you can get).
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Resurrecting this thread.

Think we should look at 2 lists this year.

Movies of the Decade - I know we did Since 2000, but it would be interesting to doa brief one at the end of the year to see how the best of this decade stands up against previous ones.

Songs since 2000 - this should be a fun one. I'm thinking Top 100?

Also still up for stand-ups if there's enough enthusiasm