change from imdb to RT

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

change from imdb to RT

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I had a thought after reading this

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2017/8 ... er-get-out

I wonder if its time to move away from imdb.com ratings and instead use Rottentomatoes as a gauge for how good a film is.

I have also started a little project on www.wix.com its a website builder, seems relatively easy to use. Hoping to delve a little deeper soon and get in running as our old fantaverse. Film slates with pictures, that is my ultimate goal
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: change from imdb to RT

Post by Buscemi2 »

I much prefer Metacritic. Rotten Tomatoes is a shill for the studios and it often punishes independent films. Metacritic cuts out the crap.

And I believe Baywatch failed more due to audiences not wanting to see Zac Efron play a bro again rather than reviews.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I would vote against using RT. In some instances it works, but it really shows it's flaws when there are middling reviews. Take Pirates for example, basically all reviews were 'the best one since the first, but that's not saying much' yet it has the worst ratings of all the films. So either this one should have had a higher score or the previous ones should have had lower ones.

I like IMDb, i know there are instances of people hating on certain films and rating it down, but even those usually don't make such a huge difference once actual reviews come in.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

undeadmonkey wrote:I would vote against using RT. In some instances it works, but it really shows it's flaws when there are middling reviews. Take Pirates for example, basically all reviews were 'the best one since the first, but that's not saying much' yet it has the worst ratings of all the films. So either this one should have had a higher score or the previous ones should have had lower ones.

I like IMDb, i know there are instances of people hating on certain films and rating it down, but even those usually don't make such a huge difference once actual reviews come in.
Completely agree with all of this. IMDb isn't perfect, but I feel like it works better than a review aggregate site for the purposes of our game.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Yeah, I don't like it either. IMDb isn't perfect, but RT can take a middling film and make it 20% or 70% which causes wild swings because it's based on whether you liked a film and not how much you like it. Also it's based on what (mostly) 30-60 year old white guys think.

I did have an idea for a Box Office RT or Metacritic game where you multiply box office times the percent on those sites.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

You guys are trying to make my job harder??

:evil:

No system we come up with is perfect, but honestly, I still favor the the imdb ratings. (And I'm not just saying that.)
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)