Best of 2017 (So Far)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Best of 2017 (So Far)

Post by Buscemi2 »

I didn't anyone having done a recap of the best and the worst of the first seven months. Sure, we haven't even hit the big festivals or awards season yet but there's been a top-heavy spring and a somewhat-barren summer. But there's another wave coming and surely 200+ movies shown at Toronto (because all you need to have been is previously there and you're in).

Here's my list (in my opinion, of course).

The Best:
https://letterboxd.com/buscemi/list/best-of-2017/

The Worst:
Choosing not to go into detail, I'll tell you that Free Fire was the most unpleasant film that I've seen in a theatre this year while The Book of Love, a vanity project designed to sell Justin Timberlake's music, may be the year's most misguided film. Otherwise, this list would be filled with easy targets.

Biggest Suprises:
Probably It Comes at Night. Their Finest is high up there too. And I have no idea how Prevenge got dumped onto Shudder without a theatrical release. This is much better than most of the horror films released this year (something tells me that Hollywood's misogyny problem played a role in this).

Biggest Disappointments Not Named Dunkirk:
Kuso. Hyped as the most graphic film to ever play Sundance, this film that also ended up on Shudder after no distributor would pick it up was nothing more than if Get Out tried way too hard and ended up being emptier than that dead mall I visited while I was last in St. Louis (the St. Louis Outlet Mall in Hazelwood, look it up). Flying Lotus is more Tyler, the Creator than Jordan Peele: all style and controversy, no actual point. Also, Wilson was a hopeless mess to watch and Baby Driver left me cold.

Anyone care to join?
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Re: Best of 2017 (So Far)

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

1. Logan
2. Get Out
3. Spider-Man: Homecoming
4. Split
5. Dunkirk
6. Baby Driver
7. Colossal

I wasn't impressed with everything else I've seen this year. Though if I had to fill it out, I guess the first 75% of Wonder Woman would make the cut, along with only Elle Fanning's performance from The Beguiled.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

THE GREAT
Raw
Prevenge
Lady Macbeth
War for the Planet of the Apes
Okja
The Big Sick
A Ghost Story
Baby Driver

THE GOOD
I Don't Feel At Home in this World
Logan
Get Out
Bad Day for the Cut
I Am Not Your Negro
Free Fire
Colossal
The Void
Tehran Taboo
The Killing of the Sacred Deer
The Other Side of Hope
Bitch
The Lego Batman Movie
Wonder Woman
David Lynch: The Art Life
It Comes at Night
Dunkirk
Kuso

THE OKAY
Pilgrimage
The Drummer and the Keeper
Without Name
The Ghoul
Blue Velvet Revisited
Detour
XX
The Transfiguration
Mindhorn
The Beguiled

THE BAD
Alien Covenant
War Machine
Song to Song
Trainspotting 2
iBoy
The Limehouse Golem
Playground
Ghost in the Shell
To the Bone

CAN'T RATE IT BUT I AM PROUD OF IT
A Dark Song

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Six loving The Big Sick is a major plot twist. I was on the fence about seeing it in theaters, but I think that endorsement might've just pushed me to check it out this weekend. Moving on....

This has been a strange year so far. I thought the winter/spring was surprisingly great while the summer has been pretty underwhelming outside of a handful of projects (Baby Driver, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Atomic Blonde, Rough Night). Hopefully this month's loaded slate (Wind RIver, Ingrid Goes West, Logan Lucky, The Glass Castle, Detroit, Crown Heights) will be able to end the season on a high note.

1.The Fate of the Furious
2.Baby Driver
3.Get Out
4.John Wick: Chapter 2
5.I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore
6.Ghost in the Shell
7.xXx: Return of Xander Cage
8.Spider-Man: Homecoming
9.Rough Night
10.Kong: Skull Island

Just missed the cut: Atomic Blonde, Power Rangers, Lego Batman

As for the worst, I have to say Monster Trucks, Okja, Split, Take the 10 and the last 20 minutes of A Cure for Wellness.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah The Big Sick is one of those typical Sundancy dramadies done right. Pretty funny, and sweet throughout.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm more surprised that Six liked Kuso.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

I hate not being able to comment on the bunch of random recentp

Heres a simple list of ratings I've seen this year :

7.5/10 Get Out
7/10 split
6/10 John wick 2
5.5/10 king arthur
5/10 kong:skull island
3/10 live by night
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

2017 is looking like a weak year for now. I've seen La La Land or Moonlight in 2017 but in the US they count as 2016.
So only taking into account the US films released in the US in 2017, here are for now my favourite films of 2017.

The very best (in no particular order) :

- The Final Master (Chinese martial arts film, the best martial arts film I've seen in ages)
- Split
- Get out
- War for the Planet of the Apes

Some other very good films :

- Merry Christmas Mr Mo (Korean)
- The Lost City of Z
- The King (Korean)
- The Distinguished Citizen (from Argentina, or was it Spain)
- Raw
- Vanishing Time (Korean)
- Lady MacBeth
- I am not your negro
- The Day After (Korean)
- Free Fire
- Creepy (Japanese)
- Nothingwood (French/Afghan doc)
- It comes at night
- The Nile Hilton Incident
- A Quiet Dream (Korean)
- Dunkirk
- Colossal
- The Rider
- Okja
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I like Six's format, except i don't have anything that i would put into the great category. Listed in order

The Good
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - the cast has great chemistry, it makes the movies for me.
Split - have always been a shyamalan fan, but it's been a while since he's made anything this fun. Anya taylorjoy was great as well
Ghost in the Shell - I realized this is based on the manga and show and animated movie, but this was my first introduction to it and i really enjoyed it. Maybe i should go check out the animated films.

The Okay
Wonder Woman - It was fun, but i can't help but wonder if it's so universally loved, because they weren't afraid to kill major characters. Which marvel hasn't done very much yet and it makes it seem 'fresh' to all the superhero movie lovers...
Okja - I enjoyed it, even with the heavy handed preaching
Beauty and The Beast - a fine if unnecessary live action redo of the animated film
Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - being a fan of the trilogy, i was let down by this soft reboot. I enjoyed parts, but the blatant disregard of continuity really bugged me
Get Out - entertaining, but realizing that the girlfriend was in on it pretty early really took a lot of the tension out of it
Kong: Skull Island - King Kong as a horror action movie worked well enough
Lost City of Z - really intriguing, but it was about an hour too long.
The Great Wall - great visuals, but that's about all
Logan - ok, but see above about wonder woman, could be applied here too

The Bad
The Shack - The movie did not know what it was trying to say
Resident Evil: Final Chapter - the series was a guilty pleasure of mine, but this was just pointless
Fate of the Furious - Awful, probably the worst of the whole series. The stunts are getting so ridiculous
A Cure for Wellness - Beautiful and intriguing, but Dane dehane was a weak lead and the last 20 minutes derailed everything
UnderWorld: Blood Wars - I honestly don't even remember what happened.
Life - Poor alien remake
King Arthur - so bad, I was excited for Aladdin, but not anymore, hopefully Disney replaces him
xxx:return of the imbeciles - Knowing Fast and Furious wont last forever, Vin Deisel tries to fast and furiousize his other franchise. It's so bad