MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (SUMMER EDITION)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by numbersix »

Forgot to do this for this season. So diving right in...

Maybes:

Already Seen and Liked: I Daniel Blake, Lady Macbeth

Maybes: Wonder Woman, Detroit, The Glass Castle, Patti Cakes, Dean

10: Alien Covenant
Yes. it'll probably suck but I'm a sucker for those xenomorphs

9: The Big Sick
Got good reviews in Sundance 17 so curious to see if it deserves the accolade

8: The Dark Tower
I was really excited although the new trailer makes it more fantasy than horror-fantasy. Still..

7: War for the Planet of the Apes
Loved the first, liked the second, hopefully the third will ape (hehe) the first more.

6: A Ghost Story
Another Sundance darling, but one that seemingly mixes genre with emotions.

5: Wind River
I loved Hell or High Water, and Sicario, so let's see if their writer can direct too.

4: Dunkirk
Nolan frustrates me, but hopefully this war story will be less convoluted. Great trailer.

3: Baby Driver
Wright is an amazing director and the early reviews are solid.

2: Okja
Bong Joon-Ho's new film may be a Netflix only affair, but at least that means I'll get to see it this summer!

1: It Comes at Night
Krisha was so well directed that I have to see this weird supernatural film.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2017 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by Chienfantome »

Alright !

Already seen : Guardians of the Galaxy, I Daniel Blake, Lady Macbeth.

Just outside the Top 10 : The House, War of the Planet of the Apes, Detroit, Glass Castle, Patti Cake$, The Dark Tower

10. Valerian and the City of a Thousand planets : I don't really like Besson, but The Fifth Element. And this one looks like it's in the same vein, so it could be fun.

9. Baywatch : Yeah, well, Johnson is always fun, and I have to admit Alexandra Daddario is hypnotizing. And it's summer.

8. Alien Covenant : Word of mouth is definitely mixed, but it's still Alien.

7. A Ghost Story : It certainly ooks and sound intriguing, and Lowery is one intersting director.

6. Logan Lucky : Great cast and a it sounds like a cool film. I hope it will be.

5. Wind River : Hell or high Water was one of the best films of last year, I can't wait to see what Sheridan can do behind the camera.

4. Baby Driver : Edgar Wright. Cool premise. Cool trailer. I'm in.

3. It comes at night : Krisha was full of promise, the pitch is intriguing, the trailer too, could it be the horror film of the summer ?

2. Dunkirk : I love Nolan. I love WWII films. The trailer is great. Can't wait.

1. Okja : Duh. Bong Joon-ho's probably the best filmmaker around, and as much as I'd prefer him to go back to Korea to work, anything he does is the most exciting stuff. I know it's Netflix, but there should be some screenings on the big screen in Paris, hopefully I'll see it in a cinema.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Assuming things come here (How to Be a Latin Lover and Trainspotting 2 still haven't come and The Salesman is only now arriving) and the Drafthouse opens (their vague "opening late Spring" mantra is getting ridiculous, you're either opening or you're not any time soon), I'll make sure to find things other than what gets three to six prints opening weekend. Plus, I have that $100 gift card to use.

My small list of the highly anticipated (small because I don't like to get suckered into the overpraise of things like the Marvel Cinematic Universe or believe that every A24 release is the best thing ever):

The Hero - reviews at Sundance were mixed but I love the cast (and not just because Krysten Ritter's in it) and the director's last one was good. Besides, I'm probably the kind of person who'd watch Sam Elliott and Nick Offerman get high and talk about life for two hours.

War for the Planet of the Apes - the last one was a strong contender for the best Apes film and the trailers have been very promising. I'm really hoping for an R rating on this installment (though it might not be dark enough for that).

Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan enters the 65mm game (I'm hoping one of those 70mm or IMAX 5/70 prints runs near me). Of course, it's going to have very limited American appeal but that just means I'll have to like it more.

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets - Luc Besson seems to have answered my plea of a sci-fi film that's not two hours of good military, evil aliens. And there are not enough space opera movies.

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power - you have to credit to Paramount for releasing this wide right away. And the trailer currently showing is terrifying. Maybe once this comes out, a new generation of people will stop believing climate change is a myth simply because of what the media tells them.

Menashe - I know, an A24 title. But this sounds more like the Moonlight/Room kind of A24 I like, not the Spring Breakers/Barely Lethal "trying too hard to be mainstream" A24. I also like that it focuses on Brooklyn being more than Williamsburg and Lena Dunham disciples.

Logan Lucky - Soderbergh does NASCAR (well actually, a robbery at a NASCAR event). And that cast has to be one of the best assembled this year. It will be interesting if Soderbergh and Bleecker Street can get those 3,000 theatres Soderbergh's mentioned.

I'm sure there's more (I liked the Wonder Woman trailer) but it's a wait and see. And it's interesting that at least one wide release scheduled this summer (47 Meters Down) has already been released on home video (Anchor Bay released it on DVD and BD-R last year as In the Deep but pulled it a day later as Weinstein had sold the rights just days before the street date).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Seen: Guardians

10.Ingrid Goes West
9.King Arthur
8.The Glass Castle
7.Wind River
6.Spider-Man: Homecoming
5.Baby Driver
4.Baywatch
3.The House
2.Rough Night
1.Atomic Blonde

Honorable Mentions: Logan Lucky, POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Landline, Detroit, The Little Hours
Last edited by transformers2 on May 10th, 2017, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Seen: Guardians, King Arthur

10. Despicable Me 3
9. Baby Driver
8. Atomic Blonde
7. The House
6. The Dark Tower
5. Hitman's Bodyguard
4. Wonder Woman
3. Spider-Man Homecoming
2. War for the Planet of the Apes
1. Dunkirk

A week ago Guardians would have easily topped the list. King Arthur wouldn't have made it, but it was free and early.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

Will go see in theaters
1. Pirates - I love the first three and this looks like a continuation of that instead of the weird Jack Sparrow spinoff we got with the 4th.

2. Guardians - Just saw last night, was better than the first.

Hopefully see in theaters
3. Valerian - I think the trailer looks fantastic.

Will probably wait for dvd
4. Dunkirk - an effective trailer but aren't all of Nolans trailers

5. Apes - loved the first, liked the second as well, i want to see what happens next.

6. Alien - had a weird love hate for Prometheus, curios to see what happens next.

7. Baywatch - I'll give it a try, The rock's comedies are usually decent.

8. Spiderman - sigh, i'm not excited for it. but i guess there's a part of me that's still hanging on to hope

9. Dark Tower - willing to give it a chance, i tend to enjoy literary adaptions.

10. Atomic Blonde - trailer was brutal and interesting.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm going through a phase where I seem to have lost all interest in watching movies, but there's a few things coming up that I'll catch eventually.

A Ghost Story has a terrific trailer, and It Comes At Night looks to be right in my wheelhouse. I'll see Alien: Covenent for old times sake, and A Trip To Spain is a must see. The new Apes is a wait for Netflix kinda thing, and I'm curious to see a trailer for Villa Capri, even though I know Ron Shelton will never come close to Bull Durham ever again.

And if Six can convince someone to get A Dark Song into Vancouver theatres that might get me out of the house. ;-)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Well, I've already been disappointed by Guardians 2, so hopefully the rest of the summer will pick up.

Definite Must-Sees:

Alien: Covenant - Unlike most, I liked Prometheus and I can't wait for more.

Wonder Woman - Yeah, DC has dropped the ball everytime since Man of Steel, but the allure of seeing WW on the big screen is too much. Can't skip this one.

Rough Night - I'm hoping they're going as dark as they can, I didn't love the Weekend At Bernie's With A Stripper parts of the trailer.

Baby Driver- I trust Edgar Wright 1,000%! Plus it got good reviews out of SXSW, and an action heist film set to music sounds like the creativity that every summer needs.

War for The Planet of the Apes - This series is so well-done, and they keep adding talented character actors as leads. We need more evil Woody Harrelson in our lives.

Dunkirk - I don't know anything about Dunkirk or the true story, I hadn't heard of it before the movie announcement. But it's Nolan with IMAX cameras so I'll be there.

Atomic Blonde - Jane Wick.

Logan Lucky - That cast, plus it was shot only a bit away from me.

Spider-Man: Homecoming - It probably won't be great, but I'm still compelled to check it out.

Possibly Will See In Theaters:

The Hitman's Bodyguard
The Beguiled
Snatched
Baywatch
The House
An Inconvenient Sequel
Valerian
The Book of Henry
The Big Sick
The Glass Castle

No Thanks:

POTC5
The Mummy
Transformers 5
King Arthur
All Eyes On Me
The Dark Tower
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Surprisingly, other than The Beguiled and maybe The Big Sick, there aren't any limited openings I'm really wanting to see..
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I liked the original Beguiled, but Colin Farrell is no Clint, and Sofia Coppola is Francis' least talented relative, so I'm not looking forward to what appears to be a shot-for-shot remake.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

BanksIsDaFuture wrote:Surprisingly, other than The Beguiled and maybe The Big Sick, there aren't any limited openings I'm really wanting to see..
I'm really surprised that you don't want to see Ingrid Goes West. I figured you'd be all in for psycho Aubrey Plaza :lol:
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:
And if Six can convince someone to get A Dark Song into Vancouver theatres that might get me out of the house. ;-)
Workin on it!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

JohnErle wrote:And if Six can convince someone to get A Dark Song into Vancouver theatres that might get me out of the house.
I've been waiting for a screening in Paris for months !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah, well, our ROW sales agent are doing an awful job. Might have to just sell to France myself.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

numbersix wrote:Yeah, well, our ROW sales agent are doing an awful job. Might have to just sell to France myself.
If no festival or distrib buy it before the end of the year, just send me a DCP, I'll organize a private screening at the Champs Elysées cinema we do our Korean Film Festival ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur