The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2017

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2017

Post by numbersix »

Thoughts so far

Breakthrough - pretty happy. Impressive performance
Original and Adapted scripts - delighted for both.
Supporting Actor - Odd choice, but I'm happy after seeing that lovely video for Goodman's Walk of Fame entry.
Supporting Actress - She was my #1 choice - amazing and deserves more credit than she's getting.
Animated - Haven't seen
Doc- Liked it
Cinematography - Beautiful
VFX - deserved

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:

You know, I was winging that featurette as nobody put themselves forward for it, and I kind of knew all along that Blair was the actor in it but couldn't be bothered researching further to actually remember the director's name! That'll show me for rushing things!! Will definitely check out Blair's actual movie though!!
Hah. Just don't do an Oscar and announce the wrong winner!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Don't jinx me, you know it's coming...

Moving swiftly on to the next category.

Best Score

The nominees are:

Arrival
Jackie
La La Land
Moonlight
Sing Street

And the winner is...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

La La Land

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Gah, it was my least favourite of the scores. As much as I like City of Stars the rest is surprisingly forgettable. My hopes were for Jackie, which has one of the best scores I've heard in years.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

I missed Jackie in the cinema. Had to compromise with a downloaded copy. Got what I believed was a really high quality version but the score was overwhelming for me, completely drowning out the spoken voice. What I heard was impressive, but when it impedes on the actual dialogue, it just dropped it down a notch or two. While I didn't give it full marks, La La Land was surprisingly catchy for me, and I still find myself humming along to a few of the songs a couple of months after watching it.

Now for an interesting category. Two of these movies were nominated for Best Picture, which I believe is unprecedented for the awards, so should make things interesting. Perhaps even an upset?

Best Foreign Language Picture

The nominees are:

Elle
The Handmaiden
The Wailing
Toni Erdmann
Under The Shadow

And the winner is...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

The Handmaiden

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Time for another featurette. Buscemi provides us with one for Moonlight.

Miami. The time, the past. A young boy is hiding in an abandoned crackhouse when he is discovered by a local dealer and is taken in. This sets off the journey of Chiron and his quest for self and to get out of his existence of abuse, addiction, and homophobia. In the first chapter, we focus on Chiron as a child and the events that shape his life. We also focus on Juan, his mentor, who finds himself in a sticky situation in that he is trying to help the boy while also serving as an enabler for the addiction of the boy's mother, Paula.

The second chapter focuses on Chiron as a teenager and the relationships in his life. With Juan now having passed on, his girlfriend has opened Chiron into her life as Paula's addiction has worsened. Meanwhile, Chiron has become a victim of bullying due to the rumors of Chiron being gay, which are true as Chiron has begun to develop feelings for his friend, Kevin. After a near-death experience from the bullying, Chiron is left with a decision: does he fight back or let the bullying continue. The decision will end up shaping Chiron as an adult.

The final chapter moves into the present. Chiron has now followed in Juan's footsteps and handles his business in Atlanta. One day, he returns to Miami and after visiting his mother, now cleaning herself up in a rehab facility, has a reunion with Kevin, who is also a different man from when they last saw each other. Chiron and Kevin then have one last moment together.

Moonlight is a moving film with a powerful theme of forgiveness and life lessons. The performances and Barry Jenkins' direction are something you would never see in a Hollywood film and are something that you had to be done from the heart. Jenkins has a vision that only he could pull off and the fact that he did with only $1.5 million and the support of Brad Pitt's Plan B label is one to be congratulated. With a $30 million budget and a major studio, it wouldn't be the same film. The ensemble cast is wonderful and filled with standouts, most notably Mahershala Ali as Juan. Ali had a great year and this is the gold standard for his performances. I look forward to seeing him in more films. The three actors playing Chiron also do excellent jobs. Jenkins realizes how important it was to show Chiron maturing as a person and doesn't resort to effects trickery or stunt casting to do this. And in a few scenes, Naomie Harris gives a great performance as Paula and shows that she's more than just Moneypenny in the James Bond movies.

Moonlight is an experience of the film that in years to come, should be remembered as one of the great love stories, one of the great coming-of-age stories, and more than the film that Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway almost didn't award Best Picture.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Bravo to The Handmaiden - I liked all the nominees a lot, but no surprise that this 100% male jury voted for the one about sexy Asian lesbians.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

[ahem] I can definitely say the story was the primary reason I loved The Handmaiden. Nothing to do with that scene... [shuffles uncomfortably].... [ahem]

On to the next category.

Best Cast

The nominees are:

Hell or High Water
La La Land
Manchester By The Sea
Moonlight
The Handmaiden

And the winner is...

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Moonlight

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Deserved - it's an ensemble film, with everyone being exceptional, from the kids to the more seasoned cast.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Talking about that delightfully sexual foreign language picture, here's another featurette. Courtesty of JohnErle, The Handmaiden.

The Handmaiden was one of several films from 2016 that made my top 100 of the millennium so far, but it's the only one to reach the top 10 on our collective lists. Revealing too much about this film's plot could ruin some of the surprises it holds, so it's probably best to go in without knowing too much, but expecting beautiful cinematography, strong performances, sensuality, and complex roles for two beautiful actresses. A movie with this many twists and reveals can often feel manipulative or contrived, but the Handmaiden pulls it off beautifully. Also, lesbians.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Now onto the first of the big four categories:

Best Actress in a Leading Role

The nominees are:

Amy Adams, Arrival
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Viola Davis, Fences
Emma Stone, La La Land
Ruth Negga, Loving