Summer Box Office Predictions

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Re: Summer Box Office Predictions

Post by silversurfer19 »

Over here Twilight tickets went on sale a couple of weeks ago and the cinema website crashed due to the flux of people trying to get tickets. It's gone absolutely crazy. On average they will be showing 18 screenings per cinema per day which I think is colossol (though some of you who work in cinemas may know better). On top of those screenings one of the things which they are doing also is showing a Twilight triple feature, and charging double the price of a regular ticket. Will all those takings go towards Eclipse's takings? If so then I'd expect huge grosses if NZ is to go by.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Don't they also always flock to the latest Eddie Murphy movies over there?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Not really, more people went to Meet The Spartans than Dave, unless if you call $300,000 gross flocking? Twilight is very popular over here though, New Moon was the no.3 movie last year, beating Harry Potter, but I think it does tell us the intent of the studios to dominate theatres with multiple showings of the movie per day.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

In Australia, Eddie Murphy was the highest drawing actor for years. Even when his movies bombed in North America, they still did manageable numbers in Australia.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

What is it with everyone thinking I live in Australia? it's a three hour flight from NZ. France is closer to the UK than we are to Australia.

So anyway, Eddie isn't that successful over here, unless if you include Shrek, the movie which has been used to boost most of its cast's Box Office averages for years.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Because you're in the continent of Australia. I also bet that New Zealand combines their numbers with Australia (kind of like how Canada does the same on American numbers).

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Actually, we live in the continent of Australasia, Australia is a seaparate country. And as far as I know we don't split our box office figures - Avatar brought in $103m last year in Australia, it brought in $12m over here.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

silversurfer19 wrote:What is it with everyone thinking I live in Australia? it's a three hour flight from NZ. France is closer to the UK than we are to Australia.

So anyway, Eddie isn't that successful over here, unless if you include Shrek, the movie which has been used to boost most of its cast's Box Office averages for years.
I guess more of us need to watch Flight of The Conchords!

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

Buscemi wrote:A lot of the the people that saw New Moon were people who simply wanted to see what the fuss was about (which explains the extra $100 million). After realizing that the movie was terrible (and having worse word-of-mouth than Twilight), don't expect these people to return for Eclipse.
This. Not too many average people liked the last one.

As for Toy Story 3, if it had the same attendance on opening weekend as Shrek the Third, it would open to around $172 million with inflation and 3D. So $500 million is within possibility.