Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2017 - The Master List

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards 2017 - The Master Li

Post by Buscemi »

Amazon Prime should have Love and Friendship (as well as any A24 and Bleecker Street title already on home video).

The Handmaiden is not getting a Blu-ray in the US (it is in Canada, though) but should be on Amazon Prime as well as DVD. I'm thinking Criterion might get it at some point.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I figured I'd bump this up to remind people to keep watching those movies. We can do better than the Academy ever can.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Only 12 films I haven't seen now. I should be able to see half of them in time I'd say.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

A quick reminder that you all have a little over a week to submit your first round of nominations for the awards, so get watching those last few movies! I've received a couple of ballots already, but there's no rush just yet, so if there's a movie you need to consider prior to submissions, then go ahead and watch them. Also anyone who wants to join the committee may still do so, the more votes the better, so just let me know if you're up for it. Deadline is the 26th February, people!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Only 8 films from the Master List I haven't seen now. I'll start working on my noms this weekend.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Another quick reminder, everyone hoping to submit nominations for the first round of voting have just two more days to do so. Please get your picks in before it's too late. You know who you are.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Sir yes sir !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

You'll have mine in the next 12 hours.

Working on it just now, I was struck by how easy it was for me to find 5 actresses in both the lead and supporting categories, but I was struggling to find any men to nominate, especially under lead actor. Maybe that's a by-product of the movies I was compelled to watch this year more than the number of strong roles for women.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I left off a couple films I forgot to log into my IMDb. I sent in a list with updated noms.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

JohnErle wrote:You'll have mine in the next 12 hours.

Working on it just now, I was struck by how easy it was for me to find 5 actresses in both the lead and supporting categories, but I was struggling to find any men to nominate, especially under lead actor. Maybe that's a by-product of the movies I was compelled to watch this year more than the number of strong roles for women.
Exact same with me. This happened last year too. Wonder if it's an emerging trend, or are my testicles just shrinking?

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I prefer to think of it as a total lack of misogyny, or maybe I'm just easily swayed by a pretty face.

In previous years, I would make an effort to see all of the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars ceremony so I would know who to root for, but this year I've seen NONE of the nominees and don't particularly care. I'll get around to Manchester, Hell, and La La Land eventually, but I have little to no interest in the rest.

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Post by jas8382 »

I have a few more films to get in, I should have nominations in tomorrow.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

JohnErle wrote:I prefer to think of it as a total lack of misogyny, or maybe I'm just easily swayed by a pretty face.

In previous years, I would make an effort to see all of the Best Picture nominees before the Oscars ceremony so I would know who to root for, but this year I've seen NONE of the nominees and don't particularly care. I'll get around to Manchester, Hell, and La La Land eventually, but I have little to no interest in the rest.
I'd add Lion to that personally. I saw it a couple days ago and thought it was great.

I'm missing four or five I wanted to see before I submitter. Notably Moonlight. Haven't seen Fences either, but it's basically a play, not a film right? I'm not as much into that kind of movie.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Other than Fences and Lion, both of which I aim to see next week, I think I've seen most of the Oscar's main contenders, and while I do believe there have been a decent selection of male performances this year, once again the female performances have been way better. May be that the films suit strong female roles more than male, but this is definitely becoming a growing trend, I feel.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Just one more day remaining for members of the committee to submit their votes before I release the nominations on Sunday. Please can the following get their picks to me as soon as possible:

BanksIsDaFuture
Chienfantome
JohnErle
Jas

On a side note, I've noticed a quite significant drop in committee members this year, and while I understand life gets in the way for us all, and I know myself I've had to restrict my participation in the site recently more than I'd like, it would be great if some of the regulars could participate in the awards, if not this year, then next.

I mean, we have the likes of Ron, Shryke, Leestu, Geezer, Walleye, Brockster, Spectre and quite possibly a few others who I feel contribute significantly to the site who I'd love to have as part of the awards. All of you I'd feel would give us a broader and more representative taste of what the forum has loved at the movies over the past year. So as I say, in the next few days/ weeks or next year even, if you can find the time, that would be awesome!