17 for '17

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

17 for '17

Post by Buscemi »

I didn't do one of these countdowns for the 2016 release year as I couldn't find enough titles to include. But with the industry seemingly saving its firepower for next year, I decided that I would bring back the action for 2017.

Get ready for 17 for '17.

In alphabetical order.

Coco - Pixar's Dia de los Muertos project is finally happening after years of development (and a near cancellation).
A Cure for Wellness - Gore Verbinski's comeback attempt looks like quite the head trip. Wish this was on IMAX.
Downsizing - Alexander Payne does sci-fi with what sounds like a more adult version of Flat Stanley.
Dunkirk - Christopher Nolan and 65mm. Should be a blast on IMAX.
Going Places - Part Big Lebowski sequel, part remake of the 1974 French film, all Jesus Quintana. I wish Turturro had kept the original title of 100 Minutes with Jesus.
The Great Wall - Matt Damon, Willem Dafoe, Zhang Yimou, and dragons. Early word from China hasn't been positive but those four things alone should make it fun.
The Hero - Any film that has Sam Elliott, Nick Offerman, and Krysten Ritter and from the director of I'll See You in My Dreams has to be brilliant, Right?
Justice League - I'm not sure if Zack Snyder's a better choice than George Miller but at least it's happening.
Logan - Didn't like The Wolverine but this swan song for Canada's favorite mutant looks to be a step in the right direction. And it's got Boyd Holbrook (one of the most underrated actors right now) as the villain.
Logan Lucky - The year's most bizarre cast? And Soderbergh coming back? I forgive him for his unnatural Channing Tatum obsession.
The Lovers - I know little about this one (and A24's films can be overhyped) but a film starring Debra Winger and Tracy Letts already has me sold.
Murder on the Orient Express - Kenneth Branagh as Hercule Poirot in 65mm. Of course, this one could go either way.
Paddington 2 - Much of the cast and director return plus Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson. I hope it keeps up the momentum.
The Solutrean - The co-director of Menace II Society and The Book of Eli doing a prehistoric epic. I already like the possibilities.
T2: Trainspotting - Sequels produced years later can be hit and miss but I can't think of a bad sequel that's been promoted as T2. I hope the film opens with Born Slippy (NUXX) and ends with Lust for Life.
War for the Planet of the Apes - The previous two were some of the best studio tentpoles in recent memory and with Matt Reeves back as director, they have to potential to top Dawn.
Wilson - Woody Harrelson in a Daniel Clowes adaptation produced by Alexander Payne (he was to have directed with Sam Raimi producing). This could be both hilarious and bizarre.

And a few "too bad we have to wait until at least 2018 for them":
- Alien Nation - Jeff Nichols remakes the 1988 sci-fi film with a political subtext and Joel Edgerton attached (I don't know if he'll play Sykes or George). We will likely get this around Christmastime.
- Alita: Battle Angel - James Cameron's long-gestating manga adaptation is currently filming with Robert Rodriguez directing. This has potential to be amazing but could disappoint at the same time.
- Early Man. Aardman's next film. I hope it doesn't take too long to get a domestic release.
- Isle of Dogs - Wes Anderson's latest just got distribution via Fox Searchlight. But stop-motion animation takes a long time and it only just began filming.
- Maradona - Asif Kapadia's documentary on Diego Maradona. Could be another masterpiece.
- Untitled Paul Thomas Anderson Project - Anderson, Daniel Day-Lewis, and fashion. Could Anderson finally get that Oscar?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: 17 for '17

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll be coming up with 17 films too to match you, Boosch ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Next week I'll do one for the first third of the year - as we have a greater sense of release dates for that period.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Alright, here are 17 films I especially anticipate for the year to come. I left out the bigger ones which are obviously expected, Lego Batman Movie, Dunkirk, Blade Runner 2049 and Star Wars Episode VIII to focus on “smaller” films.

“Annihilation” by Alex Garland
2 years after Ex-Machina, I’m curious to see where Garland goes next

“Au revoir là-haut” by Albert Dupontel
A French film sure to make an impact here, as it is adapted from a recent Goncourt Prize winner (the highest literary award in France),which tells the story of two war vets trying to find their way back to life after WWI. Dupontel himself, Laurent Lafitte, Niels Arestrup, Emilie Dequenne and Mélanie Thierry are in it.

“Based on a true story” by Roman Polanski
Polanski’s new film, written by hmself and Olivier Assayas, and starring Eva Green.

“Battleship Island” by Ryoo Seung-wan
Probably the greatest Korean director of action films, and one of the best in the genre in the world, just finished filming this tale of a giant escape of prisoners during the Japanese colonial era.

“Downsizing” by Alexander Payne
Payne tackling an unexpected genre, yes please.

“A Ghost Story” by David Lowery
A secretly shot ghost film reuniting Lowery, Affleck and Mara. What’s not to be curious about ?

“It comes at night” de Trey Edward Shults
It looks like a classic home invasion film, but Shults’ first film Krisha was so bizarre based on a simple pitch of a family reunion, I’m sure there is something strange to expect here.

"Legacy of a whitetail deerhunter" by Jody Hill
Hill hasn’t directed a feature film since “Observe and Report”.

“Molly’s Game” by Aaron Sorkin
Sorkin’s directorial debut !!! Starring Jessica Chastain and Kevin Costner !!!

“Mute” by Duncan Jones
Duncan Jones’ name is enough for me, but this story of a mute bartender shot in black and white adds to the anticipation.

“Okja” by Bong Joon-ho
Bong Joon-ho is one of the greatest filmmakers alive. I wish Netflix didn’t have the worldwide rights for this, as I want to see it on a big screen !!!

“Place publique” by Agnès Jaoui
Another French film, reuniting the screenwriting/acting duo of Agnès Jaoui (also directing) and Jean-Pierre Bacri, the best writers in France.

“The Snowman” de Tomas Alfredson
Alfredson’s first film since “Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy”. Nuff said.

“Under the silver lake” de David Robert Mitchell
A noir by the director of “It Follows” ? Hell yes !

“Weightless” by Terrence Malick
Words is this one is finally gonna get released in 2017… let’s hope it really is !

“Wind River” by Taylor Sheridan
The writer of “Sicario” and “Hell or high water” is getting behind the camera for the first time. Count me in.

“Wonderstruck” by Todd Haynes
Carol was out a year ago, and Haynes has already shot a new film !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

The 17 that have me the most intrigued, enough to catch them in theaters.

Logan
Kong: Skull Island
Ghost in the Shell
Guardian of the Galaxy Vol. 2
POTC: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Wonder Woman
The Mummy
Cars 3
Despicable Me 3
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Dark Tower
Blade Runner 2049
Thor: Ragnarok
Justice League
Coco
Murder on the Orient Express
Star Wars: Episode VIII
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Wow, so much to look forward to!

I haven't had a deep look at 2017 yet. But one of the first films im looking forward thats not mentioned to is John Wick 2 :)
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Sorry I had to bring this up while Six is showing off his list but here are pictures of the Alamo Drafthouse renovating the theatre I used to always frequent until it closed back in July. I saw a lot of movies at this place and once Drafthouse gets finished with it, the place is going to look amazing (and hopefully get things that either never played here or left after a week or so).

https://drafthouse.com/news/in-the-house

Notes:
- I can attest that Auditoriums 1 & 2 were small and I'm not surprised that Drafthouse will combine them into one auditorium (I expect the same with the former Auditoriums 14 & 15, both were insanely tiny and got all of the flops and more specialized fare). However, a lot of popular movies got booked in Auditorium 2 for some reason (I think this was the auditorium I saw Mad Max: Fury Road in and complained in my review about the theatre dumping it into a small auditorium on opening weekend).
- As you can see in the picture, Auditorium 3 was one of the bigger houses. This auditorium was also 3-D capable (I saw a lot of 3-D movies in there).
- Auditorium 4 wasn't very big and neither was 7. Wehrenberg usually placed the more adult-aimed movies in these houses.
- The hallway features the remnants of Wehrenberg's 2006 renovation (which featured new decor, a new lobby floor, new Dolby Digital systems, and two coin-operated bowling lanes). After that, Wehrenberg did very little with the theatre (outside of going all digital and having Dolby Atmos for all of two months).

I hope to be seeing new movies there when they finally reopen (I was thinking March but it's looking like Easter now). And I expect a lot of people to get thrown out once they realize Drafthouse management is nothing like Wehrenberg (now Marcus) management.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I"ve got a list of 10 that i'm looking forward to and will most likely go see in theaters, unless reviews are completely terrible.

A Cure for Wellness - The trailers look awesome and i'm a fan of Verbinski's work, (will obviously have his trilogy on my top 100 list). really looking forward to this

The Great Wall - While the trailers have been beautiful, i really hope the movie has a plausible reason for Matt Damon's time travel. Also a big fan of the director and some of his work will feature on my list as well. will wait for reviews before making final decision.

Logan - I still think the original 2 xmen have been some of the best superhero movies to this day and Wolverine's spinoff films have been like the last remaining embers of that story line.

Kong Skull Island - I was so disappointed by Godzilla that i haven't been able to get excited for this movie, nevertheless i will give it a chance and maybe it'll turn out better than expected. will also wait for reviews on this before heading out

Beauty and the Beast - Disney's live action remakes have been getting better and better, if this tops the Jungle Book i might actually get to a decent position in the FY draft.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
- Lets see where this goes, I remember the first being fun.

Pirates: Dead Men Tell No Tales - I'm still waiting fora true sequel and another instant classic that the first one was, no harm in wishing right?

Wonder Woman - She was definitely the best part of Batman v Superman, plus it's time period superhero flick, i'm in.

Spiderman Homecoming - I'm very wary of reboot number 3 is it? (the title is terrible too) next to Xmen, the first 2 Spiderman films were what put superhero movies on the map. will it be as good as those 2 probably not, but it can't be as forgettable as The Amazing Spiderman series can it?

Star Wars: When Will We Get a Subtitle - Force Awakens was enjoyable enough, but no one will tell me it's not a remake of the first one. However now that the Star Wars fanatics have been appeased, maybe the direction can veer into new territory instead of a remake of Empire Strikes Back