Summer Movie Season's Biggest Questions

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Summer Movie Season's Biggest Questions

Post by Buscemi »

According to Hitfix:

http://www.hitfix.com/galleries/2010-3- ... -questions

They've actually got some good questions here (and I actually commented on the page). Your opinions?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

undeadmonkey
Leon

Re: Summer Movie Season's Biggest Questions

Post by undeadmonkey »

hmm, i'll go through em, one by one, just because im bored

Killers - I havent seen the trailer and dont really care too, but i would probably watch this one over Knight and Day, they seem similar

Comic Con - Oooh, im excited, I am probably going this year, I have a friend who knows someone there and said he might be able to let us get in, volunteer or something like that

Predators - I was actually really surprised by the trailer and will probably go see this in theaters

Eclipse - I truly think the film will suffer in the marketplace during summer with stronger films to compete with. It will probably still do fine, but i dont think it will make as much as new moon did

Iron Man 2 - Of course i want to see it, but i dont think it will beat TDK's opening weekend numbers

Toy Story 3 - will definitely be one of the biggest films of the year, but i dont think THE biggest

Summer Indies - I wish there was another 500 Days of Summer among the lot, but i dont see any strong contenders, hope they prove me wrong

Memorial weekend - Hmmm, i dont think Sex and City 2 will outgross Prince of Persia, unless it's just terrible, and the early word isnt very comforting

Beastly - that's a weird picture and why does it say suck on his eyebrow. I hadnt even heard of this movie, although a live action re-imagining of beauty and the beast sounds interesting something gives me pause, could it be a certain high school musical teeny bopper

Sandra Bullock - usually i dont really care about actors lives and what goes on, but i feel terrible for her. the interesting part is she probably has enough support behind her that she could make all about steve 2 and miss congeniality 3 and make those 2 blockbuster hits while getting paid 20 million for each (i kid, kinda). Honestly though, I do love Bulock and think she's hilarious, and hopefully it's sooner rather than later when we get to see her on the silver screen again.

MGM - geez i wonder who that idiot was that ran the studio into the ground, I just hope someone buys it quickly so we can see The Hobbit soon and James Bond 23, ( i read that rachel wies was up to play the villain) I also kinda wanted to see The Cabin in the Woods

Shrek 4 - hmmm, I think the original Shrek is a masterpiece and will be looked upon as a classic, everyone loved the second one as well, while i thought it was crap, everyone hated the third one, while i thought it was better than the second one. Who knows what will happen with 4, does anyone really care. personally id just rather watch the first one again. Ogres are like onions.

Inception - One of the only 'original' tentpole films coming out this summer. seeing as nobody knows what its about i cant really say if it will do well. I hope it's more the Prestige than Memento though (Just my personal honest opinion)

Babies -

enough said

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Iron Man 2 really has no reason NOT to set a new OW record. It got $100M when not a lot of people knew who Iron Man or RDJ were, and now they've added ScarJo and Mickey Rourke. Plus it looks just as good as the first. Maybe $165-$170M OW?

New Moon had absolutely not competition at all last year, with Thanksgiving and early December up until Avatar being extremely weak. Eclipse has a bit more comp, but nothing I really think that can do significant damage. I'd expect it also nearing $300. I think it may also have a shot at the 5 day record.

I think it's a content between Iron Man 2 and Toy Story 3 for the biggest movie of the year. Both can probably do $400M.

MY biggest summer question is why haven't we seen anything from Dinner With Schmucks yet? It's the only July release without a trailer, and I expected one attached to She's Out of My League (since it's another Paramoun comedy).
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Venture captialists ran MGM into the ground. And they are trying to do the same at Lionsgate and Overture.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

J.I.
The McMannus Brothers

Post by J.I. »

I just don't feel that Iron Man 2 has been advertised right... at all. The posters are bad, the trailers are not nearly as good as the trailers for the original Iron Man, and I haven't seen that many TV spots. But we still do have a month left. I see it more opening around $120-130 million than $160 million.

Toy Story 3 will be huge, especially with 3D. $400+ million.

Eclipse won't be as big as New Moon. New Moon felt like a big event film when it came out (heck I know several guys who went to see it just because everyone else was), yet the third one really doesn't have much hype at all right now. The trailer has only been in front of Remember Me, and that failed.

Shrek 4 will be big because of the 3D.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My only problem with the Iron Man 2 promotion: where the hell is Sam Rockwell? It seems than we know more about Olivia Munn's involvement right now (due to the fact that her scenes were shot, cut and reshot with her as a different character) than Sam Rockwell. Sam Rockwell isn't even on the poster!

I see Toy Story 3 performing a little better than Up but it won't hit $400 million. Meanwhile, Shrek Forever After will gross less than Shrek The Third. And though DreamWorks claims it's the last, you know they're lying (it's their Friday the 13th/Saw series, they'll keep making them until them stop making money).

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

J.I. wrote: Eclipse won't be as big as New Moon. New Moon felt like a big event film when it came out (heck I know several guys who went to see it just because everyone else was), yet the third one really doesn't have much hype at all right now. The trailer has only been in front of Remember Me, and that failed.
Well, since the fans drove New Moon to almost $300M, Im sure Summit thinks they don't really need too much promo. It's the same reason the Saw movies don't get anything but a teaser and a poster anymore.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

transformers2
Neo

Post by transformers2 »

Iron Man 2 proably won't break any records but I think it will be the biggest film of the year. The first one was huge and don't see why the 2nd one wouldn't also be huge.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!