Best of 2016

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Best of 2016

Post by JohnErle »

Chienfantome wrote:Ooooh you've seen the Korean film"The Phantom Detective" John !
It's interesting atmosphere-wise, but a mess of a screenplay. Not Great.
It was the first thing I saw at the film festival this year. I was tempted to walk out after 10 minutes, but it got better after the little girls got involved. If I had known it was so derivative of Frank Miller's Sin City I probably would have skipped it.

Some of the movies I really wanted to see were in venues I don't like, so I decided to wait until their regular runs. The festival always uses a theatre that was built for the opera, so the sight lines and sound are not very good. I didn't realize how spoiled I was by the curved screens in modern theatres until I saw Personal Shopper on a temporary flat screen and I couldn't get a centre seat.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yep, screens should always be curved, as well as the rows of seats, curved the other way around, so that even if you're on the side you are sitting towards the screens. I hate it when a new screen opens and it's flat and the rows are straight. It's heresia.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

You would hate the newer AMC builds and remodels, Chien. All screens are flat and no masking whatsoever (I've seen a few scope films, such as Moonlight a few days ago, that were projected letterboxed in 1.85 even though the screens are big enough to allow for masking). It's not so bad with IMAX as the screens are huge but the letterboxed titles aren't as good-looking as native and 1.85 films (I'm still pissed Sully's being released cropped on Blu-ray as that was meant to be seen in its full IMAX glory).

It seems like in the age of digital cinema, the art of projection has died off.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I have a chance to catch a double bill of The Handmaiden and The Wailing next week. I'm guessing that Chien would recommend I go. ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Hell yes I recommend you to go ;) Two of this year's most fascinating films. One of them will end up in my Top 10 of the year...
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

So I haven't seen everything (a bunch of things haven't arrived yet or I haven't gotten around to them) but here's every 2016 movie I've given a 9 or 10 so far.

10/10
1. De Palma

9/10
2. Captain Fantastic
3. Moonlight
4. Loving
5. Denial
6. Hardcore Henry
7. Midnight Special
8. Queen of Katwe
9. Moana
10. The BFG
11. The Jungle Book
12. Embrace of the Serpent
13. Nuts!
14. Kung Fu Panda 3
15. Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice
16. Indignation
17. Under the Shadow
18. Miles Ahead
19. Morris from America
20. Blood Father
21. Frank and Lola
22. The Witness
23. Everybody Wants Some!!
24. Star Trek Beyond
25. A Street Cat Named Bob

Meanwhile, I'd like to make a special mention to Jim: The James Foley Story. One of the year's best documentaries (and a winner at Sundance) but was never released theatrically, instead going direct-to-cable on HBO.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I'll be preparing my Top 10 films of the year in the coming days, based on the French release calendar, so there will be films that are actually from 2015 in it, and some might be 2017 for the US. i still have 5 or 6 films to catch in theaters, like Jarmusch's "Paterson", or Cambodian film "Diamon Island" which is said to be terrific. I already know, though, that 2016 has been a terrific year and my Top 10 is gonna be filled with film I genuinely adore.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

There's still 5 movies I need to check out in theaters (Rogue One, Patriots Day, Fences, Silence, Live by Night) and a few more on video (Don't Think Twice, Deepwater Horizon, The Birth of Nation, the latter 2 come out in the US on January 10th) before I finalize my list, but 2016 has been an odd year for film so far. While I much prefer my top 10 or so films from 2015, there's only been a handful of serious disappointments and a lot less films that I've truly hated (ironically, 2 of the films that I despised this year were among the most acclaimed movies of the year).
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!