Awards Season 2016

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: Awards Season 2016

Post by JohnErle »

That looks like a very diverse group of nominees who will eventually lose to white people.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

JohnErle wrote:That looks like a very diverse group of nominees who will eventually lose to white people.
Viola Davis and Mahershala Ali are virtual locks to win in their respective categories.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Of course, there are people who are actually convinced Jeff Bridges was better than Ali. I bet those people didn't even see Moonlight.

And how did Passengers manage two nominations and 13 Hours and Deepwater Horizon manage more nominations than Denial and Queen of Katwe?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

If Oscars awarded the best films of the year, we would know by now. There are always excellent forgotten films, but it's still a solid set of nominees.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:Of course, there are people who are actually convinced Jeff Bridges was better than Ali. I bet those people didn't even see Moonlight.
Bridges was better. Ali's role is tiny and he actually doesn't do much - he's basically a father figure with no real range and only one scene that requires some acting chops. The three actors who played the lead character had way more to do, and should have been nominated ahead of him.

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

All i see is La La Land everywhere, is the film THAT good??
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

Hollywood just loves to award itself every chance it gets (see The Artist and Argo).

And Bridges was not better than Ali. Ali had a career making performance. Bridges did nothing but play a stereotypical racist with no character development whatsoever (and yet we're supposed to like him and hate Chris Pine's much more sympathetic character). It was a cliche, not a character (but so was Denzel in Training Day and that won an Oscar all because the Academy didn't want to give it to Crowe again).

If anything, this year proves that Hollywood is getting more and more conservative. They ignored movies that really deserved nominations in favor of picking things that played in middle America. Was Hidden Figures really more deserving than Loving? Was Hell or High Water really that great? And no one will be talking about Hacksaw Ridge or Lion in five years.

However, I do think it's funny that Patriots' Day failed to get a single nomination after all the pre-release buzz.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

What makes you think Ali's performance was good? Sure, it's "career-making" because he's getting a nomination, but out of all the cast in that movie, he was the least impressive because he had so little to do. It's bewildering.

As for your assertion that you're supposed to like Bridges more than Pine in the film, I've no idea where you got that from. Pine is the troubled protagonist, Bridges is the troubled antagonist. Don't know anyone who wasn't on Pine's side.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

When I watched it in the theatre, the audience seemed to siding with Bridges as there would be people laughing after all of his dialogue and silently agreeing with his observations. Also, the film focuses on Bridges more than it does Pine (and Pine has to share much of his focus with Ben Foster).

As for Ali, I'd say Janelle Monae was given less to do (but did very well with what little she had). Ali plays the Obi-Wan of the story, serving as the mentor to a character who doesn't have one while also being a flawed character as he is an enabler for the boy's mother's addiction (this already gives his character more dimension than Bridges's character). Personally, my favorite supporting performance was Timothy Spall in Denial (a performance that was never talked about in the races but is one of the most terrifying in recent memory) but Ali gets second in my book. He's not in the film much, sure, but a small amount of run time hasn't hurt anyone in the past (see Judi Dench).

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

numbersix wrote:
Buscemi wrote:Of course, there are people who are actually convinced Jeff Bridges was better than Ali. I bet those people didn't even see Moonlight.
Bridges was better. Ali's role is tiny and he actually doesn't do much - he's basically a father figure with no real range and only one scene that requires some acting chops. The three actors who played the lead character had way more to do, and should have been nominated ahead of him.
Thank you. I was beginning to think I was the only person that was baffled by the acclaim surrounding his performance. He's not in the movie nearly long enough to make much of an impression and got outacted by a majority of the cast. Naomie Harris would be a far more deserving winner.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I would say if you broke it down the film is far more leaning towards Pine's character. And yeah, some of Bridges lines are funny in how appropriate they are. But that still doesn't make him the hero. And hey, if JK Simmons can spot all sorts of nasty stuff in Whiplash and win awards, Bridges, whose character had more depth, deserves it.

Ali's character was interesting (though the whole good-man-yet-drug-dealer was the most unrealistic aspect of the film) but as a performance it was nothing special. Only the scene where Little asked what faggot meant required any real work. As Tranny said, the rest of the cast was better and I would have put young, teen, and adult Chiron way ahead in terms of performance, and even Andre Holland.

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

I didn't watch the Oscars as I expected a foregone conclusion (though Emma Stone getting a career Oscar over Isabelle Huppert getting a career Oscar definitely was), but maybe I should have.

Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway read off the wrong winner (and the movie that was expected by everyone to win didn't).

Congratulations, Moonlight. The movie that deserved it the most won.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Complete Oscars

BEST PICTURE
La La.... I mean Moonlight

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Emma Stone, La La Land

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Viola Davis, Fences

DIRECTING
Damien Chazelle, La La Land

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Moonlight

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Manchester by the Sea

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
Zootropolis

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
The Salesman

CINEMATOGRAPHY
La La Land

COSTUME DESIGN
Fantastic Beasts

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
OJ Made in America

DOCUMENTARY SHORT
The White Helmets

EDITING
Hacksaw Ridge

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
Suicide Squad

ORIGINAL SCORE
La La Land

ORIGINAL SONG
City of Stars, La La Land

PRODUCTION DESIGN
La La Land

ANIMATED SHORT FILM
Piper

LIVE ACTION SHORT FILM
Sing

SOUND EDITING
Arrival

SOUND MIXING
Hacksaw Ridge

VISUAL EFFECTS
The Jungle Book *WINNER*

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

In the end La La Land didn't get THAT many Oscars as one might have expected. I'm glad Arrival could get one, even if "just" Sound Editing.
The Salesman win was political, I understand it and it's important even though it's too bad for Toni Erdmann which is such a better film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi

Post by Buscemi »

My exact thoughts on The Salesman. Of course, the Academy hates comedy (along with performances in foreign languages, films set in Africa, and actually paying attention to the female performers).

And a funny thing I noticed: everyone loves to hype Netflix as the future of cinema but their rival, Amazon, had two movies win awards (and they have exclusive pay cable rights to Moonlight). Hell, ESPN won more awards than Netflix. I think that should be a sign that Netflix should a. stop trying to appeal to the Academy and focus on Emmys or b. not insist on day-and-date releases done in a way where almost every theatre chain (and even international distributors) hates you.

And am I the only one who found the choice of Jimmy Kimmel to host hypocritical? Oscar watchers and people involved with the Academy love to claim that Seth MacFarlane's jokes from a few years back were racist and yet they picked a host who did sketches on The Man Show in blackface (along with a good half of that show objectifying women). Or are we supposed to pretend Kimmel never did anything before 2003?