MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (AWARDS SEASON)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (AWARDS SEASON)

Post by numbersix »

As the reviews start coming in from Telluride and Toronto, I figured it might be a time to see what we're all excited bout

Seen and recommend: Elle, Toni Erdmann, The Handmaiden, The Greasy Strangler

Maybes: Kicks, Certain Women, Dr Strange, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, Gold

10- The Birth of A Nation
Nate Parker's nasty past is turning me off (a concept something Parker doesn't understand himself), but I'm still curious to see how this slave narrative pans out.

9 - La La Land
I really enjoyed Whiplash, and although classic musicals aren't my thing, I figure I should see what's probably the current Oscar favourite.

8 - Nocturnal Animals
Wasn't on my list originally, but the reviews of Tom Ford's second film have been so amazing that it has become a must-see.

7 - Manchester by the Sea
Since Sundance the buzz has been high on this, and unlike Margaret Lonergan seems happy with this one.

6 - Loving
Two Jeff Nichols on one year? Yes please! And looking forward to seeing Ruth Negga get a role she truly deserves.

5 - American Honey
Andrea Arnold is one of the most exciting directors around. Looking forward to this 3 hour road trip. Despite Laboeuf's presence.

4 - Neruda
I loved No (and only sorta like The Club) and this politicla satire sounds as good.

3 - Passengers
I love me some sci-fi, and the two leads are so magnetic by themselves that this could turn into a black hole, spewing entertainment.

2 - Star Wars: Rogue One

I love me some sc-fi, and I'm hopeful this will be less derivative as The Force Awakens.

1 - Arrival
I love me some sci-fi, and Villeneuve is one of my favourite directors around. That combined with a great trailer and strong reviews and I cannot wait to see this.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (AWARDS SEASON)

Post by Buscemi »

Hope the last four months are better than the first eight.

11. Rules Don't Apply - it will probably be terrible but that cast has a lot going for it
10. Certain Women - didn't like Reichardt's last film but I'll give anything with Michelle Williams and Rosanna Arquette a chance
9. Sully - the IMAX footage looks really good.
8. Moana - the 3-D looks really good based on the trailer and it looks a lot more original than some of Disney's most recent films. And that pig!
7. Bad Santa 2 - really liked the first and though the choice of director isn't promising, the cast definitely is
6. Godzilla: Resurgence - the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion doing Godzilla should be both interesting and bizarre
5. Jack Reacher: Never Go Back - Edward Zwick is no Christopher McQuarrie but if it's half the film the first was, it should be worth it. And it's got Hardison from Leverage in it.
4. Elle - a new Paul Verhoeven film!
3. Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - Ang Lee, Steve Martin, and native high frame rate 3-D? Sign me up!
2. American Pastoral - nice to see Jennifer Connelly's talents put to good use again. And Ewan McGregor directs.
1. Loving - Jeff Nichols finally gets the praise he deserves?

As for Oscars, I really can't see La La Land contending (especially since Lionsgate has like four or five other movies in the running and some of the early reviews suggest that the film falls apart after the opening). And Gold Derby's been favoring Manchester-by-the-Sea (another one I don't see contending).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

10.Patriots Day
9.Nocturnal Animals
8.The Birth of a Nation
7.Arrival
6.Bleed for This
5.Rogue One
4.Snowden
3.Passengers
2.The Girl on the Train
1.The Magnificent Seven

Also interested in:
Sully
Blair Witch
Goat
Storks
Deepwater Horizon
Masterminds
The Greasy Strangler
The Accountant
Kevin Hart: What Now?
American Pastoral
In a Valley of Violence
Keeping Up with the Joneses
Moonlight
Doctor Strange
Hacksaw Ridge
Loving
Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk
The Edge of Seventeen
Manchester by the Sea
Allied
Bad Santa 2
La La Land
Office Christmas Party
The Founder
Fences
Gold
Why Him?
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Buscemi wrote:
As for Oscars, I really can't see La La Land contending (especially since Lionsgate has like four or five other movies in the running and some of the early reviews suggest that the film falls apart after the opening). And Gold Derby's been favoring Manchester-by-the-Sea (another one I don't see contending).
Not sure what reviews you're reading, but the vast majority are saying the opposite (100% RT with a 8.9 average). It's also Lionsgate's only real Oscar contender (Hell or High Water won't be big enough, and besides that there are no other prestige pics). Plus, it's a feel-good throwback to Hollywood's musical era. It's Chicago with indie cred.

I do agree that Manchester by the Sea won't win the Oscar, though. Way too small and subdued.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'd say Patriots' Day is a bigger contender for Lionsgate. It's more of a crowd-pleasing movie but so was American Sniper and that was nominated for some Oscars.

With the Oscar purge having happened, I really can't see another show business movie winning Best Picture, especially one with two extremely overexposed actors (and how long has Hollywood tried to push Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as the next big couple?).

In the end, I think it will a play-it-safe type film like Loving (Cannes reaction wasn't so hot but it's an more American film anyway) or Fences that wins (Gold Derby's also really liking Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk's chances but we know what the Academy thinks about Ang Lee). Unless Fox Searchlight or Weinstein has something really good they are saving for Toronto or Venice (probably not Lion, which looks like a cheap imitation of Slumdog Millionaire).

I also could see Toni Erdmann being a dark horse contender. With English language films being how they are this year, could a foreign language film finally win Best Picture (and Sony has certainly beefed up their Oscar campaign budgets in recent years)?
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

With Berg directing I think Patriot's Day is going to lean more towards being a thriller than a drama, and its Oscar chances might be limited. But Lionsgate surely have the sense and capacity to push 2 of their films for Oscars.

As for La La Land, do you really think the Oscars are going to fundamentally change? Their new member strategy is just paying lip service to the diversity debate, and with the strongest OscarsSoWhite film, The Birth of A Nation, looking unlikely to see any awards thanks to the director's shady past, I don't see any of the African American films being a frontrunner (Moonlight might have a chance but A24 don't have the marketing clout, as we saw with Room). La La Land is the back-up plan, it actually IS the play-it-safe option, and things will be the same as ever.

No chance Toni Erdmann will even come close to winning. Its humour and tone is way too deadpan to impress a community who voted for the likes of Argo, The King's Seech, etc.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I have already seen and loved Miss Hokusai, The Handmaiden, Elle and Tony Erdmann. Desierto isn’t bad too.

It could have featured in this top 10 : Sully, The Accountant, Jack Reacher, Dr Strange, Bleed for This, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Certain Women, Rules don’t apply and The Salesman.

10. The Magnificent 7
I’m a sucker for westerns, and this one has a cool enough casting to counter-balance the fact it’s just a remake of a remake.

9. Moonlight
The trailer is gorgeous and has me curious.

8. Gold
The less I know about a film, the more curious I am. Stephen Gaghan hasn’t done a film in a long time, and the pairing of him and McConaughey is interesting.

7. Passengers
The pitch is intriguing, and I’ll go see anything that is set in space.

6. Nocturnal Animals
A Single man was a singular film, and this looks to be another one.

5. Loving
Jeff Nichols ? Again ? Yes please !

4. La La Land
Whiplash was great, and the word of mouth coming out of Venice is fantastic.

3. Manchester by the Sea
This film’s reputation is enough to have me interested, but the fact it’s directed by Lonnergan and has Affleck, Williams and Chandler in it makes it unmissable in my eyes.

2. Arrival
Denis Villeneuve is one of the best directors working today. I have just watched the teaser for this one and I refuse to watch the trailer. The less I know, the more interested I am.

1. Rogue One
Duh.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

In addition to the ones mentioned in the festival thread, I'm interested in:

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
The Girl On The Train
The Accountant
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them

I was thoroughly unimpressed by the trailer for TGOT, but I like Emily Blunt, so if the reviews are decent I might take a chance on it. The rest are pretty much locks.