MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (SUMMER EDITION)

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by numbersix »

It's almost Popcorn Season, so who's gonna see what?

Maybes: The Neon Demon, Ghostbusters, Cafe Society, Sausage Party
Already seen and recommend: The Lobster, Dheepan, High-Rise

10- Money Monster: Review-dependent, but could be a tense thriller
9 - From Afar: Reviews of this Venice-winner have been stellar
8 - X Men Apocalypse: I've sat through all of them, and they're generally decent.
7 - Warcraft: Trailer is awful, but I'm hoping Duncan Jones can bring some magic to this world.
6 - Don't Breathe: SXSW buzz for this horror was good.
5 - Equity: This female take on the economic crash went down well in Sundance
4 - Suicide Squad: Great trailers, and I like the director. And, y'know, Margot Robbie
3 - The BFG: Hopefully this will be Spielberg's return to wonder-filled cinema
2 - Chevalier: Another offbeat, absurdist Greek film about man's inhumanity to man? Yep.
1 - Swiss Army Man: It's about a corpse that communicates through farting. How can I not see this?

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: MOST ANTICIPATED FILMS OF 2016 (SUMMER EDITION)

Post by Chienfantome »

Honestly I have a hard time finding 10 films from the summer schedule I’m really excited about right now. Too many sequels, remakes, and superhero movies I’ll probably check out but without craving to see them.

So here’s a list of films I’ll probably see but I can’t say I’m really excited about : X-Men, Independence Day 2, Captain America 3, Ghostbusters, Star Trek Beyond, Jason Bourne, Suicide Squad.

And films I could have put : Money Monster looks ok, Central Intelligence looks fun, The Shallows cause I’m always in for some sharks, Lights out looks scary.
The Neon Demon I see don’t have an official release date yet otherwise I would have put it in, probably.

10. Captain Fantastic : I don’t know much about the film but it was selected at un Certain Regard in Cannes and that’s enough to make me want to see it. Plus it’s got Mortensen and the underused Steve Zahn in it.
9. The Founder : I’m quite curious about the founding of McDonald’s movie. Keaton vs Offerman is a great cast too.
8. Finding Dory : I can’t say I’m overly excited about a Pixar sequel, but it’s still Pixar.
7. The Nice Guys : Shane Black’s films tend to be really fun to watch, and the pairing of Gosling and Crowe looks good.
6. Popstar : The trailer really made me laugh, and I loved Hot Rod which I only discovered a few weeks ago so I’m really hoping this is getting released in France.
5. Café Society : This sounds like a good Woody. We could always be wrong with him, but we’re always hopeful.
4. The BFG : Spielberg. Fantasy. Giants. I’m in.
3. Warcraft : I have never played the game and the trailers don’t look good. But I have faith in Duncan Jones. This is the kind of movie I’m pretty sure will be much more fun than what people expect. Well, I hope so at least.
2. Swiss Army Man : The premise is so bizarre, I can’t wait to see it. Plus Paul Dano is always great.
1. Sausage Party : No trailer made me laugh harder than the one for Sausage Party. This looks completely f’ed up, the kind I love.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Oh and by the way one film I have already seen and that absolutely needs to be seen is "Our little Sister" by Kore-eda Hirokazu. Beautiful Japanese film.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

A bit shorter than ten (though I'm sure there's some unscheduled quality for the theatre screens and Netflix).

6. The Secret Life of Pets
5. The BFG
4. The Legend of Tarzan
3. Suicide Squad
2. Finding Dory
1. Independence Day: Resurgence

And I have also already seen one film scheduled for a summer release: Search Party. It's been released almost everywhere else so it's easy to find. And it's not worth seeking out.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

10.Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
9.The Nice Guys
8.Neighbors 2
7.Ghostbusters
6.Star Trek Beyond
5.War Dogs
4.Sausage Party
3.Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping
2.X-Men: Apocalypse
1.Suicide Squad

Also Interested In:
Captain America: Civil War
High-Rise
Money Monster
The Lobster
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
The Conjuring 2
Now You See Me 2
Central Intelligence
Clown
Finding Dory
Swiss Army Man
Free State of Jones
Independence Day: Resurgence
The Purge: Election Year
Captain Fantastic
The Infiltrator
Jason Bourne
The Founder
Cafe Society
The Hollars
Spectral
Southside with You
Hands of Stone
Mechanic: Resurrection
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Would you settle for five that I'm mildly interested in?

It looks like another dreadful summer with very little on tap for grown ups or those with discerning tastes. No wonder I always get more reading done in the summer.

5. Money Monster - Mostly because of my connection to the writer. The trailer looks very derivative.

4. Our Kind Of Traitor - LeCarre and McGregor is a combo that works for me, even if the trailer didn't.

3. The Nice Guys - The first trailer was great, the second not so much, but this looks like a perfect role for Russell Crowe

2. X-Men: Apocalypse - The X-Men has always been my favourite comic book movie franchise, but my enthusiasm is waning after the last one, which was a convoluted mess. Hopefully they won't be shoehorning any of the original cast into this one, allowing the story to stand on its own. But why bother hiring Oscar Isaac if you're going to hide him under all that makeup and distort his voice?

1. The Conjuring 2 - Yet another underwhelming trailer, but I loved the first one and hopefully lightning can strike twice.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Captain America: Civil War
Suicide Squad
Finding Dory
Star Trek Beyond
The Secret Life of Pets
Jason Bourne
X-Men Apocalypse
Money Monster
Ghostbusters
Now You See Me 2
Ice Age: Collision Course
Independence Day: Resurgence
The BFG
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

On paper, this summer looks packed. But I'm just not excited about most of them. I mean, another Bourne? Yawn. More X-Men? Meh. Another Pixar prequel? C'mon...

And the Fourth of July looks uncharacteristically barebones. I doubt The BFG nor Tarzan will be of much interest to general audiences.

Anticipated:

Suicide Squad - It looks funny and dark and it's no surprise they did reshoots to Deadpool-ify it. Still hoping for a late R rating, no matter how improbable. Margot Robbie looks like she was born just to play Harley Quinn and they couldn't have picked a more interesting actor to build the Joker from the ground up - unless they cast Daniel Day-Lewis, I guess.

The Secret Life of Pets - I've learned to trust Illumination with original ideas. See: Despicable Me. Plus I love the oddball voice casting of Kevin Hart and Louis CK.

Sausage Party - Hard R-rated animation from Seth Rogen and his friends? I wouldn't miss this.

Captain America: Civil War - Winter Soldier proved that the Cap movies are pretty much the only Marvel solos worth watching, and I'd like to see how they handle Black Panther and Spider-Man, and introducing Ant-Man to the crew.

War Dogs - Todd Phillips gets his hands on Miles Teller and Jonah Hill and mixes Lord of War with Wolf of Wall Street? Yes please.

The Shallows - I've read that this is a terse thriller about woman vs shark, even if it is from the director of Liam Neeson dreck and the midget-horror Orphan.

The Angry Birds Movie - Getting a real LEGO Movie vibe from this one, I think it'll play to adults well. I'm a unabashed fan of Jason Suideikis so I'm all for him playing a smug Angry Bird. Plus I've laughed more at these trailers than anything else.

Neighbors 2: Sorority Row - Mostly excited to see Chloe Moretz play a foul-mouthed drugged out college chick. Trailers have done nothing for me, but I'm riding on how much I enjoyed the first one.

Not terribly excited for these, but will end up in theater for them anyhow:
X-Men: Apocalypse
TMNT: Out of the Shadows
Now You See Me 2
Central Intelligence
Mike And Dave Need Wedding Dates
Ghostbusters
Star Trek Beyond
Jason Bourne
The Founder
Cafe Society
The Space Between Us

(Sidenote: Is anyone else a little confused that STX hasn't released trailers for Bad Moms or The Space Between Us yet? Chances that one or both get bumped out of the summer, since it seems that they're concentrating on Free State of Jones?)
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Bad Moms did have footage screened at CinemaCon so a trailer should be ready in the next few weeks (possibly with Neighbors 2 or The Darkness). And The Bye Bye Man was supposed to be ready for June but was pushed six months it's possible the distributor was concentrating on that one along with Free State of Jones.

As for The Space Between Us, I could easily see that going to October 7th (aka "the inspirational space movie slot").
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I have 30 on my list, though there's a few that don't have trailers or I need to know a little more about. Here's 12:

12. The Founder
11. Popstar: Never Stop, Never Stopping
10. Free State of Jones
9. Finding Dory
8. Sausage Party
7. Secret Life of Pets
6. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates
5. Swiss Army Man
4. Independence Day 2 (I'm certain I'll be disappointed)
3. Captain America Civil War
2. Ghostbusters
1. Suicide Squad
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.