The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2016

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Re: The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2016

Post by JohnErle »

Room was my second choice from the films that made the final cut, so I can live with that. The acting and writing were superb, but Miller absolutely deserved Best Director over Abhramson.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Room is a clear winner, and behind it it seems to be a rather balanced palmares.
I wish there would have been Something for "It Follows" though.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Thank you Surfer, by the way, for handling our Awards with such talent, once again.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Hey guys, I'm here so let's get the show started.

Guys?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Great to see Room sweep the awards. Deservedly so. And like John I thought it had an amazing overall cast (though I'm happy with Hateful 8 too). I'm going to let Room's director know how well his film performed here.

In fact, this was a pretty decent awards. Agree with almost everything. Even The Revenant's two wins are sorta deserved. Mad Max winning best VFX (which were amazing) and director is fine by me. And yay for Mustang (Surf, it's out here in the UK in May).

Only one I can't agree with is Amy, an invasive film that unfortunately ends up doing to Amy's story what the tabloids did already. Going Clear and Cartel Land are, as Surf mentioned, so much better

Also glad Spotlight won not a thing. An interesting topic does not make a good film, which, as John said, is just a bunch of actors spewing exposition. Though it's still better than The Revenant.

And well done on the write-ups,guys. Great stuff.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'll say this about Room, it is a powerful, moving film. It is disturbingly haunting and sticks with you, and the two leads were outstanding. I just can't say a film like that is really a favorite of mine. I have no real desire to ever watch it again. It wasn't really entertaining. So while I certainly appreciate it as a film that told a very moving story very well, I couldn't give it high marks. But it's not outrageous (nor unexpected) for me, that it won.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Echoing others comments I would once again like to thank everyone who contributed to the awards, both in voting and the featurettes. It all came together quite nicely once again, so thank you all, and here's to the next year of movies to get excited about, then criticize obviously!