The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2016

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

transformers2
Neo

Re: The Reel Society Of Film Critics Awards Ceremony 2016

Post by transformers2 »

Buscemi wrote:
transformers2 wrote:Fuck yes. VIkander was the only supporting female performance of the year that truly blew me away.
You didn't think Jennifer Jason Leigh was great? That was probably one of the best villain performances in recent memory.
No. She was fine, but she didn't wow me outside of the final scene.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Following nicely again, here is a featurette for Mad Max: Fury Road, nominee for Best Picture, provided by JohnErle.

When a 70-year old director revives a franchise that's been lying dormant for 30 years, the natural assumption is that the end result will be tired, lazy, and not nearly as vibrant as the originals, but George Miller managed to defy all expectations by delivering the most exhilarating, visually stunning, and challenging genre film of the year.

In a post-apocalyptic world where water, gasoline, and fertile women are commodities worth fighting for, one tyrant has seized control of all three and elevated himself to the status of a god, using a mixture of Norse mythology, mind-alerting drugs, and car fetishism to recruit an entire generation of young men known as War Boys willing to die for him.

His leading general, Imperator Furiosa, dares to stand up against him and risks everything by helping his unwilling brides escape into the green, idyllic matriarchy she was taken from as a child.

Along for the ride is Mad Max, captured by Immortan Joe's men to be used as a blood and organ donor, who manages to escape and forges an uneasy alliance with Furiosa and a brain-washed War Boy who slowly learns that there's an alternative to the only life he's ever known.

One of the main beauties of Mad Max: Fury Road is that almost none of those plot elements are explained with expository dialogue or voice-over, relying instead on subtext, performance, and action. Miller trusts the audience to read between the lines and pick up on the incredibly rich and detailed visual cues filling every frame of this magnificent movie, and for those who do it's an unusually rewarding experience worth revisiting.

And even if you don't care about any of that, there's still plenty of car crashes, explosions, and flame-throwing guitars.

Mad Max: Fury Road will ride eternal, shiny and chrome.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Past halfway, and next award coming up:

Best Score

The nominees are:

Carol
It Follows
Mad Max: Fury Road
Sicario
The Hateful Eight

And the winner is...

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Another great featurette.

I'm glad about Max win, less about The Revenant but that's because I didn't like the film, cinématography was good.
Last edited by Chienfantome on March 13th, 2016, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

transformers2 wrote:
Chienfantome wrote:So am I the only one who didn't give many points to Inside Out ? Far from the best of the year to me.

Nice text about It Follows.
I gave Inside Out no points. I found it to be really overrated and completely unworthy of the award.
For something that seemed so universally loved both in the real world and on the fantaverse, I'm deeply surprised by such resentment I'm seeing!!

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

The Hateful Eight, winner of Best Score

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Amazing how one person can see an element of one film as its greatest attribute, and another person can view it as a crippling downfall. There really is something out there for everyone.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Swiftly following:

Best Foreign Language Picture

The nominees are:

Mommy
Mustang
Son Of Saul
The Tribe
White God

And the winner is....

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Geezer wrote:Amazing how one person can see an element of one film as its greatest attribute, and another person can view it as a crippling downfall. There really is something out there for everyone.
I guess so. Was it you that didn't like Wall-E and it's first chapter sequence with no dialogue? I guess you're preference is for dialogue heavy scripts, and so naturally Mad Max would fall outside of your boundaries of taste in this regard. Not a criticism, just an observation of indeed how tastes can be vastly different.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeaaaaah one win for Tha Hateful 8 !!!!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Mustang, winner of Best Foreign Language Picture

Wish I'd had a chance to catch this, will certainly do so in the near future. In fact, for one year this was my least submitted category, I'd only seen two of the five nominees unfortunately.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Time for another featurette, for a movie that has seen plenty of awards this evening already. Up for Best Picture also, this is Room, kindly presented by Jas:

The bond between mother and child is at the heart of our next best picture nominee Room. Based on the novel by Emma Donoghue, Room tells the story of Ma and Jack, who are trapped in a small shed that has been Jack’s world his whole life that he calls Room. Through an amazingly crafted screenplay by Emma Donoghue the harrowing experiences that Ma and Jack go through inside their 10 by 10 foot world, is only the beginning as we witness their heartbreak, sense of wonder, and hope in a world greater and vaster than 10 by 10. Room features some of the best performances of the year from an amazing cast led by Brie Larson, who gives a tour de force performance as Ma, and Jacob Tremblay, whose performance as Jack is nothing short of incredible. The surefire direction of Lenny Abrahamson gives the world inside Room not only a claustrophobic feel, but an ability to transport the audience inside Ma and Jack’s 10 by 10 world looking through the skylight at what lies outside.

Nominated for 7 awards tonight including Best Picture this is Room.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

Another award:

Best Cast

The nominees are:

Sicario
Spotlight
Straight Outta Compton
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight

And the winner is...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

silversurfer19 wrote:
Geezer wrote:Amazing how one person can see an element of one film as its greatest attribute, and another person can view it as a crippling downfall. There really is something out there for everyone.
I guess so. Was it you that didn't like Wall-E and it's first chapter sequence with no dialogue? I guess you're preference is for dialogue heavy scripts, and so naturally Mad Max would fall outside of your boundaries of taste in this regard. Not a criticism, just an observation of indeed how tastes can be vastly different.
It was me. And that's not to say I can't appreciate a lack of dialogue (The opening of Up is among the greatest moments ever in all of cinema, for me) but it is true that I love good dialogue and that is generally what I love most about films. It's part of why I open my feature every year with a quote and why I love Quentin Tarantino so damn much (though unfortunately I have yet to see The Hateful Eight).
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yoohooo ! Mustang !!!
Fluctuat nec mergitur