DO WE KEEP GOING?

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

DO WE KEEP GOING?

Post by Shrykespeare »

Guys,

First off, let me tell you how impressed I am by the fortitude and stubbornness of this group. To have kept the game going for going on ten years, despite all the setbacks and heartbreaks we've had is a testament to our single-minded pigheadedness, and for that, I'm grateful.

We are about to wrap up another year of Super Leagues. The game that once boasted dozens of players is now down under twenty. And STILL we keep going.

But before we turn the calendar to 2016, I have to ask .... who wants to keep going?

Don't get me wrong - I am more than happy to keep moderating the Super Leagues, as well as the Quarterly Draft leagues and the Year-Long Draft Leagues, as long as we have people willing to play it. I have no intention of quitting. I may have released two novels (a third on the way), and lost a fucking KIDNEY for God's sake, but I'm still going.

However, I feel now is the time to take the temperature of this group to ask the most obvious question, especially given that there is, at this time, no relief in sight and no plans in development for a new site.

DO WE KEEP GOING?

I want honest opinions, people. Please give them here.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Re: DO WE KEEP GOING?

Post by Buscemi »

That's a very good question and it will take a while to come up with a long, definitive answer. But the short answer is that it depends on what the rest of us think.

We've have a good run with lots of good times as well as bad times. But there is a time to move on and write new chapters in our lives. The Fantasy Movie League has filled some void in the absence of a website while we also still have some contact through Facebook and other places. Meanwhile, 2015 is different for us than 2009 (and before then). Some of us are college graduates now, some of us are married and with children, and some of us have found new careers or hobbies. And the Internet is a totally different beast now. Gradually, I myself have been leaving some aspects of the game because there was simply more important things to do. And pretty soon, the lightbulbs that make the sign will have all burnt out and we will all need to enter those more important things.

The long, definitive answer is that we probably should give this place and the game a rest. At some point, we are all baby birds but baby birds grow up and become adult birds and must fly away to discover a new place. Maybe someone will form a new version and we can all gather there but maybe that day doesn't come. We cannot live in past glories. We must write new chapters and create new memories in our lives.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Patrick, I really think it entirely depends on you. I for one never want to see this place go. It's a truly unique space on this vast landscape we call the internet. If it is still worth it for you to keep running the game (and I imagine it's easier the fewer players we have) then I'm here to keep playing, no matter what the format or how much less dedicated to my own performance I've become. I'll still hold out hope that we can get a fully functioning website open sometime in the future, but until then, I'm still going to be here almost every day, because I love the game and I love the people more.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Boosh, Geez, I appreciate your honesty. That's what I need.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

You know, I was thinking we'd go on...
For-e-ver

If you say we're done, we're done, but I'll be here until then.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

As long as there's a solid nucleus of people here (which there absolutely still is), I want to keep going. Our numbers may have shrunk of late, but my loyalty and enjoyment of this game and the people in this community is just as strong as it was a decade ago.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

jas8382
Jason Voorhees

Post by jas8382 »

I'm probably going to sound like a broken record, but I think it all hinges on what you really want to do Patrick. You're the glue that keeps this game rolling, and whenever you say stop, I'll be good with it, but until then I am all in. I mean we've gone this far, which when you think about is pretty remarkable. The only change I could see making though would be maybe cutting the half year leagues since the full year no longer has eliminations. It kind of makes the half year leagues seem redundant.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Honestly,
I'm pretty sure I would miss this game if it wasn't here anymore.
I know we lost players on the way, but a regular core is still here, and even though we don't intereact as much as we used to, I love doing it.
We've always been conscious it takes time, and I understand some of us don't have all that time to give to the game. Heck, I know I don't always.
But as long as players want to play, and friends from everywhere want to keep that oddly-alive-after-all-these-years place, well, alive and friendly as it is, I'm all for it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

That's a darn good question, Shrkye.

Ultimately my gut says yes, as long as we have the facilities to do so, I will always continue to play, to contribute, complain, etc ;) It's a fun game, it always feels fresh due to the unpredictable nature of the movie industry, and it helps me with my "work". I always enjoy the anticipation of seeing the weekend estimates on BOM every Sunday evening.

I've been saying this for years, but I think the main problem is that we haven't made an effort to find new blood. It's inevitable that people drift away as life responsibilities come along, but because no one new is coming along we're getting increasingly smaller. This problem is made worse without an actual way to play the game outside of posting on forum boards, which in this day and age is not just rudimentary but incredibly old-fashioned. If we were able to create a simple but effective site to play the game, we could push for fresh blood on the forum. Though perhaps as Boosch said, these days no one uses forums and social media is the way to play the game.

But the bottom line is that I will always play this game, if it's there.

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

I think that 20 or even 12 people would be enough to go on with the game. Provided we are all competitive, it would still be funny.

I agree with shrinking the whole thing, out of respect for Shryke and for everyone who may have more important things to pay attention to.
Still, I want to keep going with the Ultimate Full Year. Besides, using Google Docs, we may share data and help Shryke updating things. It takes a little time, but it's not difficult.

I am sorry for not participating more on the forums, but I like this game and I often read some of your discussions.

Leestu
Ratzo Rizzo

Post by Leestu »

I know I've been a bit tardy in getting my slates in to you Shryke but I do still want to keep playing. I also enjoy reading Banks column/preview each week.
And I am hoping we can keep the 3 month draft version going as well. I look forward to that every time.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Again, I thank you all for your candor.

So it looks like, for the time being, we will continue to play. I do agree that eliminating the Half-Year leagues will make things easier for me, as most players tend to pick the same roster for both the FY and HY leagues anyway, and will probably continue to do so at least until we get another site.

So we will continue next year with the FY leagues (Ultimate and Box Office), the Quarterly Draft Leagues, and of course, the Full-Year Draft League.

As long as I have the time to put in, I will put it in. It's ingrained in my DNA now.

In the meantime, keep weighing in with the opinions.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Glad to hear it. I really think if the day comes when we do have to give this up, we're going to miss it more than we can even realize.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Damn right, Geez.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Wrestler
Private Pyle

Post by Wrestler »

I know that I haven't been able to keep up with playing the game this last year (having kid #2 has certainly taken all my free time) but I still visit these forums everyday. Theres no other place like it on the internet. It's become a part of my life game or no game. So ya I would miss this place dearly.