FantasyMovieLeague.com

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by numbersix »

That's great, man. Maybe they can expand and incorporate our games. Like when Wallmart buys out a Mom and Pop store.

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Just got this email from Noah:

I dabbled in Fantasy Moguls as well for the brief period it was around. While we’ve decided to start with a much simpler kind of gameplay we are considering adding more complex games in the future, so it’s great to get the details on how you and your friends play. I’m not sure if we’ll ever be able to accommodate all of the precise stats that you use in your Ultimate game, but we’ll see. Part of the trick in creating a site for the masses is you can’t necessarily be all things to all people and still be able to maintain it.

I think it’s great that you play so regularly. If I understand correctly you basically have 3 simultaneous seasons going on at once. Makes me wonder if we could do the same with our current BOC game.

It’s also interesting in how you put your heads together to determine dollar values for each movie.

We play a game somewhat similar to your Box Office game, but rather than setting $ values in advance, we engage in an auction with each movie going to the highest bidder. Each team has a mythical budget of $200 to fill out their roster. This forces leagues to be rather small, but it’s actually a lot of fun (being able to claim sole ownership of a “It” for example, has been very rewarding for me in the current season). I can provide more details if you think it’s something you and your friends would be interested trying out. I could even track your leagues for you. Here’s a link to the google sheet that I’m using to track the current season (which runs September - December). Eventually we want to be able to play this way on the BOC website.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

We’re currently working to get our Weekend Prediction game moved over to the new website, but after that as we move ahead working on adding Custom Leagues I’d love to reach out to you for more feedback and input.

Good stuff. Thanks!

-Noah
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

vaderules
Napoleon Dynamite

Post by vaderules »

Greetings everyone!

Awesome to be in contact with fellow fantasy movie fanatics and love to have this direct line to get your feedback on BOC.

Just to set expectations: I'm just one member of a small team of people who run the site, so I won't be able to turn every request into reality and progress can be slow, but we want to do our best and you guys definitely know what you are talking about, so keep the comments coming!

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

Welcome Noah! (love your handle!)

As I explained in our email, Reel Society is a group of diehard movie buffs from around the world (incl. Ireland and France!) who get together to try to best each other in the art of box office prognostication. Ask what you will. It's been a LONG time since we've had a new contributor here, so your presence is more than welcome. Poke around our various threads (including our league threads) and let us know if you have any questions!
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Wonder was the film to grab this week !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I'm convinced Spectre figured out time travel. He was like the rest of us and then he began winning week after week.

Of course, that means he'll physically be 80 when he turns 40 so there's a drawback to winning by DeLorean or phone booth.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

LOL

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Goal for next round: all of us teaming up to beat Spectre aka Shohei Otani. It's going to be like the last level of Earthbound up in here.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I missed 2 weeks this season, that was too many to have a shot at winning this season, but I'm still happy being able to compete for the Top 3.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

welcome Vader!

nice to see some more fantasy movie games out there, ill have to check up on BOC to see how it looks. As you've probably been told, we have a mashup of your game- draft and Box Office. I dont mind bidding, it just means you need to organize bidding times for your league, something that can be very difficult especially when you have a limited player pool and players from around the world- thats something i dont like.

Id be interested to know more about your bidding system.

I think we did something similar once but it didnt pan out well.

Our draft league has 12 hour windows and even that doesn't always work out well, im probably one of the main offenders.

Also, i noticed that fantasymovieleague has shortened their comp to 3 months, Sept-Nov. We do the same here also, i suggest trying the shorter format out.

As for my first go on fml, i got 1 win in week 3, then had 1 bad week, missed a couple more and only participated in 2/3 overall in the end so it wasn't bad, but it wasn't very good.
I dont like the lack of depth and unrealistic feel to it. The way fml is presented its like: Heres your cinemaplex, you can put 8 movies on this weekend for audiences to go and watch. But the winning slate is often 1 or 2 of the top films, which you put on maybe 2 cinemas and then 1 limited release that performs well IRL which you put in 6 cinemas! I dont like that.
Theres also a real lack of depth to the game. Im not a big fan, i really like our games much more.

Edit: I did check it out and now i realize i have actually played the game. The blockbuster game isn't as appealing to me as our Box office game. It almost seems like you can have it all. When everyone has the same movie besides 1 or 2, there doesn't seem like much of a challenge. The 4 month window also keeps me uninterested for a few reasons: if i missed the start by a week or 2, its far too long for the next opening window, Box office fluctuations make the 4 month window too big, if i choose a film in week 1 or 2, it bumps off a potential surprise hit in the last fortnight. Theres no cap for blockbuster picks, like if i choose star wars, i feel like i shouldn't be able to pick the next 3 biggest hits without juggaling.
If there is no wiggle room for blockbuster, i feel like its perhaps better to have a ascending/desceding list of films to predict: ie: #1 movie is star wars, #2 Jumanji, #3 Thor, rather than chuck them all in the same pile.
Sorry if its all a little too direct, i just dropped out of the BOC blockbuster game because there was our game to fall back on, which held my interest more. Having said that, i missed out 2017 here on BO and Ultimate leagues in the first months, which caused me to miss the entire year sadly. Though the draft league has been happening evey 3 months here which is keeping me going.
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Buscemi2 wrote:Goal for next round: all of us teaming up to beat Spectre aka Shohei Otani. It's going to be like the last level of Earthbound up in here.
Great... now I’m jinxed for sure. :P Would love to get into the Top 100 some day. Too many misses during big weeks this season.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yeaaaaah Top 3 !!!! Less than a million ahead of Six !!
Congrats Spectre for another fantastic season !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well done, Chien. I had a terrible season, so surprised I even made it to 4th.

And curse you Spectre, we're coming for you ;)

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I honestly thought this season I would be among the lasts. There were two weeks I could not enter a slate. Can't believe I made it on the podium.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Spectre arrived last this weekend !!! Let's take as much advance on him as we possibly can guys !!
Fluctuat nec mergitur