FantasyMovieLeague.com

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Re: FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by Chienfantome »

Season over !
The new one begins !
I've got a crown to defend ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Well done, Chien, you had an amazing run. You had the best possible slate about 3 or 4 of those weekends. Bravo!

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Those last few weekends were good to me. Here's hoping I'll keep it like that for the new season ;)
Fluctuat nec mergitur

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

speaking of, what words of wisdom do you have for us this week? What should we pick? ;) :D

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm going with Logan (I think it can take in $80 million) and seven Moonlights (the Best Picture win combined with physical copies being backordered on websites like Amazon should help make it a contender for the bonus).

Get Out will probably drop 50% despite the A- Cinemascore while the other three openers look like flops (I haven't seen anything for The Shack or Table 19 while Before I Fall aka Nickelodeon's The Butterfly Effect with Lea Thompson's Daughter is being dumped despite positive word out of Sundance).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I don't know, Get Out had a very strong Monday and Tuesday. I'm thinking it will have a very good hold. Hidden Figures is priced very well too.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Tempted by 8 LEGO Batmans. Would only really work if Logan underperforms, and it holds well, being the only cartoon in the market.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

undeadmonkey wrote:speaking of, what words of wisdom do you have for us this week? What should we pick? ;) :D
Haha ;)
To be honest I haven't even looked it yet. Everytime I do it on the friday.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Well Six, we're the only one who didn't bet on Logan for our weekend's slate. If Deadline is right about The Shack numbers, that was a good move to bet on it.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Yeah tracking was higher than I expected and the midnight number suggested a decent opening. Though Moonlight could surprise and get the bonus.

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

The Shack is so high right now, Moonlight would need to have a gigantic boost over saturday and sunday to get the bonus.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Yep, The Shack was the one to bet one this week.
Fluctuat nec mergitur

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

Ugh, what is the rhyme or reason why some of these Christian movies work and some don't?!

And why did Moonlight jump 250% after winning Best Picture while Spotlight/Birdman (which were both out on DVD also at the time) only gained 40%/119% after winning?

Doing a little research, that's the biggest jump after winning BP in at least the last 12 years.
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

The Shack probably promoted itself through churches and Christian bookstores rather than using traditional marketing (it's based on a popular book). I never saw anything for it but I never saw anything for the first God's Not Dead (another film that used non-traditional promotional methods as Pure Flix believes all their films need to become a sort of social/political statement) pre-release either.

As for comparing Moonlight to Spotlight or Birdman, the latter two were played out by the time the Oscars occurred. Moonlight had a relatively small release pre-Oscars (the widest run before Friday was 1,104 theatres in a crowded late January weekend). Also, Lionsgate timed the home video release with the Oscars (Birdman and Spotlight were already available before the Oscars) and with copies being a difficult find (Amazon's still backordered) combined with the film not being free to stream on Prime yet, it simply made people want to see it in the theatre.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

I've got a bad feeling, I'm gonna break a leg or something soon, it's been the third consecutive week I got the perfect slate at this game, luck is gonna turn its back on me soon. I'm happy though :D
Fluctuat nec mergitur