FantasyMovieLeague.com

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Spectre
Clark Griswald

FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by Spectre »

Just came across this game, figured I'd pass the word on in case anyone is interested. Matthew Berry (the fantasy sports guy who co-founded our original site and game(s) has a new site going called fantasymovieleague.com.

It looks like the game is a box office contest with the usual 8 slots and a $1,000 budget except that instead of picking 8 different movies over the summer, you're picking 8 of any combination of movies (whatever you can fit in the budget) on a weekly basis. From what I can tell, you're just trying to max your money every week for 15 total weeks. It also looks like it also gives out random prizes to people who play.

I'm not a paid spokesperson :P and I don't know how good the game is, just wanted to tip you guys off if you wanted something new to try. This round starts Friday morning.

W
Norman Bates

Re: FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by W »

Wow. These are priced pretty awfully. You can fit any combination of films in there you want for $1000... So you're basically figuring out what the #6,7, and 8 films of the week are.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

No, you can put multiples of the same movie on there. Think of it like an 8 screen theater. The only way the #6-#8 movies matter are as filler to avoid the $2M reduction. I have a whole lot of Pitch Perfect on mine haha.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

Looks interesting. I skimmed through the rules and I assume that if you have Mad Max on three screens you get 3 times whatever Mad Max earns that weekend. Could be fun.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

This seems cool. There was a game a couple of years ago where you were the manager of a 15 screen theater and it was just like this, but I can't remember it. I think Busc used to play it?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Interesting, but I think it would get boring fast. I think the fun of our game lies in the challenge of picking the right movies in a given season. If I can just have all the movies of any given week and not have to think too much I'll get bored.

All of that being said, The interface is pretty sweet. I'd love for a site like this to host our game.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Spectre wrote:No, you can put multiples of the same movie on there. Think of it like an 8 screen theater. The only way the #6-#8 movies matter are as filler to avoid the $2M reduction. I have a whole lot of Pitch Perfect on mine haha.
So then you're basically picking the one movie you think is best for the money multiple times until you can't fit it anymore? Why would anyone ever do anything different? There could be a lot more strategy if they raised prices and let you only put one per slate.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Hey, the company running this is headed by Matthew Berry. See the About Us at the bottom of the homepage.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

Yeah....

Spectre wrote:Just came across this game, figured I'd pass the word on in case anyone is interested. Matthew Berry (the fantasy sports guy who co-founded our original site and game(s) has a new site going called fantasymovieleague.com.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I could swear that middle part wasn't there when I read it. Probably just me losing my mind though...

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

He tweeted about this last night, so I took a shot at replying and trying to explain our game in 140 characters, and the man himself was actually kind enough to reply. Seems they are trying to keep it simple to go for the broadest appeal, which is probably why a few of us would find it lacking in challenge. But it was awesome that he even took the time to read it.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It's a nice idea for a game, although I definitely see myself losing interest, even more so than something like Box Office Champs. But I'll see how it goes.

Wouldn't it be great of all these games (EAP God, Champs, FM League, and our game) could be combined into one site?

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

That would certainly be ideal. One site for all lovers of things fantasy and box office related. Preferably one that works.

BanksIsDaFuture
Jack Torrance

Post by BanksIsDaFuture »

What's EAP God, Six?
Alexandra Daddario: Eyes of a Demon, Face of My Future Ex-Wife

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

It's like Champs, but based on HSX's numbers. Basically you predict what the weekend's openers will adjust to (which in HSX terms is 2.7 times the opening weekend) and get points based on accuracy.

http://www.hollywoodstockjournal.org/modules/eapgod/