FantasyMovieLeague.com

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Re: FantasyMovieLeague.com

Post by Spectre »

Geezer wrote:He tweeted about this last night, so I took a shot at replying and trying to explain our game in 140 characters, and the man himself was actually kind enough to reply. Seems they are trying to keep it simple to go for the broadest appeal, which is probably why a few of us would find it lacking in challenge. But it was awesome that he even took the time to read it.
I think that's how they have to go about it to be honest. Our game is awesome and way more challenging/rewarding but it requires a steep learning curve that would (does?) scare away a lot of casual players. Matthew Berry probably learned that the hard way the first time when our/his site had trouble bringing in enough new players to pay the bills.

When building a game site out, something like theirs is perfect. It's basic, it's easy, there is little research involved, it requires no projection outside of a week and it's something you can play every week every if you screw up the week before. In our game, if you pick one bust, your slate is done contending for #1 and you have to wait a month. No big deal for hardcore players like us but a casual fan will move onto something else and possibly never come back.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd take our game and our draft leagues 100 times out of 100 over this game but it stands a much better chance at pulling in casual people. I just hope that if they're able to build a good base up from a casual game like this that they'll expand their offerings to cater to more hardcore players too.

In the meantime, I'll probably still play it. It's not a big time commitment, should be reasonably fun (even if less so than anything we play here) and I like getting in on the ground floor. I AM madly jealous of their site layout though. I'd kill for something like that here.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Geezer wrote:He tweeted about this last night, so I took a shot at replying and trying to explain our game in 140 characters, and the man himself was actually kind enough to reply. Seems they are trying to keep it simple to go for the broadest appeal, which is probably why a few of us would find it lacking in challenge. But it was awesome that he even took the time to read it.
What's more simple to a fantasy football expert than "we have two games. One is 4-cat roto and one is a points league."?
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Spectre wrote:
I think that's how they have to go about it to be honest. Our game is awesome and way more challenging/rewarding but it requires a steep learning curve that would (does?) scare away a lot of casual players.
Anyone that's going to follow Matthew Berry into something like this is going to know the basic format. Box office is a straight points league and Ultimate is a straight Roto league (his nickname IS The Talented Mr. Roto)... So the only things they're going to need to learn are what PTA and Top 5 are, which is pretty simple compared to OPS, Slugging PCT, WHIP, and K/BB.

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

W wrote:Anyone that's going to follow Matthew Berry into something like this is going to know the basic format. Box office is a straight points league and Ultimate is a straight Roto league (his nickname IS The Talented Mr. Roto)... So the only things they're going to need to learn are what PTA and Top 5 are, which is pretty simple compared to OPS, Slugging PCT, WHIP, and K/BB.
If they're a fantasy sports player, agree 100%... and as a guy who plays high stakes roto baseball leagues, it's simple as pie to pick up the roto aspects of our game. The problem is that there probably isn't a ton of cross-over between fantasy sports and fantasy movies so he has to appeal at a broader level to movie fans.

Berry isn't going for a "fantasy baseball" at all here, he's going for fantasy football. I know a TON of people that I can't get into fantasy baseball because they say it's too complicated and too hard to do well without being invested. Every single one of them plays fantasy football.

Maybe down the road a roto game would make sense for him but if he's trying to build up a base of support, a casual game is the way to go.

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I couldn't agree more, Spectre.

Would be awesome if we could get in touch with his site developer. Honestly I think the lack of a fully functional, easy-to-use web-site is the number one thing that will always hold us back. I understand that fantasy moguls failed as a business model, but it still had a whole bunch of players, just not enough to generate profits. Since that is not our goal, if we had what they have, I bet we could sustain numbers in the hundreds.

Of course, an endorsement from Matthew Berry wouldn't hurt either...
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Since it's half done already maybe they'd charge less?

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Ideally. We should ask. All it takes is a little bit of tweaking in terms of selecting films (which, like you guys, I feel it's really easy to use). Even if the actual data (BO figures) have to be inputted manually, it's still a lot easier than having to maintain spreadsheets.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

To make it a little better what they should do is make each multiple time you pick a film a higher price. So if you pick something for $200, maybe putting it on a second screen costs $230, third is $260, etc. Im Going to play either way, but that seems a lot better

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Created a league:
http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/134 ... 622977c225

Reelsociety.com
Password: Joshuasisland (j is capital.)

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

Should be an easy weekend. Top five movies and some pork in the other three spots. If this were a real theatre, I'd probably be using the other screens for arthouse fare or the Batman v. Superman trailer every 3-5 minutes (trailer shown for free + normal prices for popcorn and drinks = $$$).
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

numbersix wrote:Ideally. We should ask. All it takes is a little bit of tweaking in terms of selecting films (which, like you guys, I feel it's really easy to use). Even if the actual data (BO figures) have to be inputted manually, it's still a lot easier than having to maintain spreadsheets.
No shit.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

W wrote:Created a league:
http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/134 ... 622977c225

Reelsociety.com
Password: Joshuasisland (j is capital.)

I'm tearing up a little ... :(
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

so there is a bit more strategy than just picking the top earning movie of the week. because three screens of pitch perfect will earn more than one screen of tomorrowland. Does It matter though how much money you spend?

Spectre
Clark Griswald

Post by Spectre »

Pretty much just max your earnings however possible. I think this week is going to be easier than the others by default because they had this pricing up for 2 weeks so it's more outdated.

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

I think I have the perfect slate for the weekend but maybe there are ten other guys with the same slate... Like probably everyone here. After everything locks each week (supposed to be noon eastern/9am Pacific), why don't we share our picks?