Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2015 - The Master List

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2015 - The Master List

Post by silversurfer19 »

With the beginning of a new year upon us, it is a good time to recall our experiences of 2014, but instead of some crappy slideshow chronicling our rather less than spectacular years on a social media site, I think we would all much prefer to discuss our favourite movies. So, it seems apt that it just happens to be the time to start counting down the days to the Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2015!

There have been some magnificent movies this year, as well as some rather Maleficent ones too. And so by coming together we can, as a committee, decide which were actually the best, and who gave the best performances. We are now in the 2015 edition, and the intention once again is to hold the ceremony on the first weekend of March, giving everyone a good couple of months to catch up on the holiday season's movies, not to mention any others you may have missed throughout the year. As you may recall, an idea was introduced a couple of years ago to make it easier for you all, and so we will again be providing a Master List; a list of movies which the committee deem essential viewing for voting. It doesn't mean all the nominees will have to come from this list, but it gives you all a good starting point if you need to catch up.

Remember, the nominees must be selected from movies released in the US from 1st January 2014 - 31st December 2014, it doesn't matter what format they are released in during that period (ie, even if, like American Sniper or A Most Violent Year, the movie is released limited just before the close of 2014 prior to going wide in 2015, it is eligible for nomination), but it must be released between those dates.

I ask that everyone that wants to take part as a committee member in the awards should put forward your names here, and then that they provide me with a list of five movies seen over the past year that they believe to be essential viewing. Once I have received all lists, I will present The Master List on the first page of this thread, and it can then be used as a reference if you are stuck on a movie which may be worth watching prior to the actual nominees.

Now, although this is not important at this point, as we are solely interested in generating the Master List, once announced it will become time to start thinking of the nominees. The the following categories will provide the nominees:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor in a Leading Role
Best Actress in a Leading Role
Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Best Actress in a Supporting
Best Foreign Language Film
Best Animated Picture
Best Documentary Feature
Best Cast
Breakthrough Performance
Best Original Screenplay
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Score
Best Visual Effects

Following the first round of voting there will be 10 nominees for Best Picture, and 5 nominees for each other award. These will then be voted on again to determine the actual winners. Below I have gone into further detail the actual process.

Voting
The voting structure is as follows:

Master voting: everyone nominates 5 movies of the year that should be deemed 'essential viewing'.

1st round of voting: everyone nominates a maximum of 5 nominees in each category. This will produce the award nominees.

2nd round of voting: everyone ranks their nominees in a sliding system of 1-10 for Best Picture nominees, with your favourite gaining a maximum of 10 points, and then you can assign a score for each of the remaining movies as you please, while movies unseen must be given a 0. For other categories it is the same system but on a sliding scale of 1-5. This will decide the winners.

Schedule
I've allowed for as long a round of voting as possible so that everyone can find an opportunity to watch movies which may be up for consideration, and starting from today, the Master List voting is now open. Tentative dates which can be amended if need be as follows:

Jan 1st – Jan 12th – Master List Voting
Master List Announced Jan 13th
Jan 13th - March 2nd - 1st round of voting
Nominees Announced - March 3rd
March 3rd – March 13th– 2nd round of voting

Awards Show - Saturday, March 14th

As stated earlier, for this to work we need a committee of set voters, so please register your interest in this thread, and I will add you as a member. You can pm your Master List nominations to my inbox, email me at silversurfer19@hotmail.com or simply note them on this thread.

As always I would request 10 people to submit a small featurette for the 10 Best Picture nominees. These can be decided at a much later date, but I thought I'd remind everyone nevertheless. And please, if you do wish to provide a featurette, please ensure you have the time to do so. It doesn't need to be an essay, even a couple of sentences why you love the movie is enough, but so that I don't have to do them all myself at the last minute, ensure you have the time. Hopefully this should prove just as exciting as previous years with lots of close races, so on with the nominations!

Committee Members
silversurfer19
thegreenarrow
transformers
numbersix
Ron Burgundy
Chienfantome
Geezer
bestfilm
JohnErle
Buscemi
undeadmonkey
NSpan
SuperShaan
W
BanksIsDaFuture
Jas

The Master List

1. 20,000 Days on Earth
2. 22 Jump Street
3. A Most Wanted Man
4. A Most Violent Year
5. A Field In England
6. Bad Words
7. Begin Again
8. Birdman
9. Blue Ruin
10. Boyhood
11. Calvary
12. Captain America: Winter Soldier
13. Cheap Thrills
14. Chef
15. Coherence
16. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
17. Edge Of Tomorrow
18. Enemy
19. Force Majeure
20. Frank
21. Gabrielle
22. Gone Girl
23. Guardians Of The Galaxy
24. I, Origins
25. Interstellar
26. Joe
27. Life Itself
28. Locke
29. Love is strange
30. Nightcrawler
31. Nymphomaniac Volume 1&2
32. Oculus
33. Only lovers left alive
34. Rich Hill
35. Selma
36. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
37. Snowpiercer
38. Starred Up
39. Stranger By The Lake
40. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
41. The Congress
42. The Guest
43. The Grand Budapest Hotel
44. The Fault in Our Stars
45. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1
46. The Imitation Game
47. The Immigrant
48. The LEGO Movie
49. The Raid 2
50. The Theory Of Everything
51. Top Five
52. Under The Skin
53. Whiplash
54. Wild
55. X-Men: Days of Future Past
Last edited by silversurfer19 on February 12th, 2015, 3:53 pm, edited 15 times in total.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Re: Reel Society of Film Critics Awards 2015 - The Master Li

Post by numbersix »

I'm in, of course.

Will think about the master list. Still lots of award films I have to see, a lo of them coming out this month. Tonight it's Birdman...

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Count me in too. Much to see in next week. Very excited about this years batch.

And i wish I could say I'm seeing birdman...
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Chienfantome
Captain Jack Sparrow

Post by Chienfantome »

Cool ! I'll be a committee member with pleasure, as usual !
Fluctuat nec mergitur

Geezer
Axel Foley

Post by Geezer »

I'm in
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - The Dude

Shrykespeare
Site Admin

Post by Shrykespeare »

I'll just watch. I've seen so few movies this past year, and probably very few of the ones you all would deem award-worthy.
Happy 60th birthday Jet Li! (4/26/23)

bestfilm
Donnie Darko

Post by bestfilm »

I would like to participate this year.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

You are very welcome, bestfilm. Will be nice to have some new contributors to the awards this season, and so anyone else who has not participated before is also very welcome. And no worries, Shryke, beyond your other commitments to the site I'm sure we can afford you some leave, although a Bard shaped hole will surely be missed.

Great to have so many on board already, the more the merrier.

JohnErle
Snake Plissken

Post by JohnErle »

I'm in, and hopefully Surfer will send out PM reminders again when the deadlines are looming. We've got a couple of weekends to catch up on some new releases before the Master List is due.

And Shryke, surely you'd have an opinion on Best Animated Feature, if nothing else. Why not sign up just to flesh out that category? I know I've only seen two, so you'd help counteract my ignorance in that category.

Buscemi
CONGRATS! You may now chose your own rank!

Post by Buscemi »

I'm in.
Everything on this post is strictly the opinion and only the opinion of Buscemi.

Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/1244530511 ... 9GBj16VEmr

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

I'll kick it off with 5 films I think should be on the master list but aren't getting the award love they deserve:

Locke
Blue Ruin
Force Majeure
20,000 Days on Earth
The Congress

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

numbersix wrote:I'll kick it off with 5 films I think should be on the master list but aren't getting the award love they deserve:

Locke
Blue Ruin
Force Majeure
20,000 Days on Earth
The Congress
Bottom 3 are on my to see list but I wholeheartedly support the top two, cracking edge of the seat thrillers well worth the watch.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

JohnErle wrote: And Shryke, surely you'd have an opinion on Best Animated Feature, if nothing else. Why not sign up just to flesh out that category? I know I've only seen two, so you'd help counteract my ignorance in that category.
That is a very good point, and it applies to everyone. You do not need to vote on every category, so even if you feel you could only do one justice you would be welcomed aboard the committee.

silversurfer19
John Rambo

Post by silversurfer19 »

A kindly reminder to all those wishing to submit a list of five movies for the Master List; you have this weekend to catch up on any further movies, and could you then all submit your movies to me by the 12th January.

I would also appreciate hearing from fellow regulars BanksIsDaFuture, Supershaan, Walleye, empire, W, NSpan and undeadmonkey, just to confirm whether they would or would not be able to participate as a committee member. As mentioned previously, even if you can only submit to one category, it will be appreciated.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I'll submit a list for what I can