Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Discuss past, present, and future releases. This is the place for news, reviews, and your 'best' lists.

Moderators: Buscemi, BarcaRulz, Geezer, W

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Re: Rate That Movie Part IV: Movies Never Sleep

Post by Buscemi2 »

Not sure if this is the place to post this but Six, I know you hang out at the HSX forum. Why won't they ban this Baron Darcon guy? That troll makes ROB_Dude and all those people here that just post trailer reels seem harmless.
It's like what Lenin said...I am the walrus.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

Oh man that guy is a complete pain. His alt-right leanings make him invent facts and then he argues endlessly and pointlessly

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Hmm, do i dare to visit the HSX forums? (is it anything like imdb- bad rep, never going back there to chat again) Im starting to get into that game a little, just entered a league. I feel a bit like a small fish, i thought i was doing ok with 11 mil, then the league i entered has 1 guy with 800 mil and another with 250. Yeah, i got a bit of catching up to do...

Anyways, i think ill chill in these forums, i like it here.

The Shape of Water
After all the buzz on this, needless to say my expectations were sky high. However, i wasn't a massive fan of Pan's Labyrinth. Solid performances from all the cast (Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer and Richard Jenkins are in terrific form right now) and the pace is good too. But the ending is not what i expected, i wanted more, it wasn't dramatic enough for what was building along the way. That said, i actually watched it 2.5 times (the first half thrice), i liked the environment Del Toro was shaping, he excelled in giving us a neat look at a small town in america at a certain period, i loved the set pieces like the aquarium, the cafe and the car dealership. I think six mentioned somewhere it has an Amelie-like score, but i have forgetten Amelie (need to re watch it actually, its been a decade) and i thought the score was really good. Overall good but not amazing like i thought it would be.
7/10

The Disaster Artist
It must be said, pretty sure you have to see The Room before you watch this to get a real appreciation. I still don't get why people hate James Franco as he gives a good if not great performance as Tommy Wiseau. The cameos and minor roles from all his mates are mostly all fun (Zac Efron topping the list easily). While watching this i had to google where Tommy got his money to make The Room, im shocked to find nobody knows how he did or where he is even from- or even how old he is!! Dave Franco is a bit like Casey Affleck in the way he was in his brothers shadow but now is making a name for himself. The film itself is pretty good, funny and interesting about something that really happened, not much you get out of Hollywood these days.
7/10

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri
Paced really well, hardly a dull moment, perhaps a tad less smart as the dialogue but still ok. I could have easily watched another 20 minutes but the director decided to cut things short, which was a bit of a downer almost seemed as if the director wanted to set up a sequel. There's plenty of moments where you anticipate a predictable twist, then the movie steers in a completely different direction so that was refreshing. Part drama part black comedy, i don't think many people wouldn't like this.
7.5/10
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

Ron, I must demand that you read the book The Disaster Artist is based on. The film got so much wrong about the production and the Tommy/Greg relationship (for example, Greg never met Bryan Cranston at a coffee shop, the actual event involved Sandy and Janusz Kaminski).

Ron Burgundy
Red Redding

Post by Ron Burgundy »

Ok, ill see if i can hunt the book down. I must warn you though, im a pretty bad "reader", i spend way too much time playing video games. I cant even finish the first Game of Thrones book -and i got "complete" set 3 or 4 christmas's ago!!
“One time I wrestled a giraffe to the ground with my bare hands.” — Dale

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

The Death of Stalin 3/10

I'm not sure why this is being called a comedic masterpiece. All I saw was a bunch of dirty old men bickering about politics for an hour and forty-five minutes (and you don't really care about any of them). In addition, the dialogue felt anachronistic (as well as a complete retread of In the Loop) and I kept wondering why Kruschnev had a Brooklyn accent. I also wondered why the film couldn't have been about the pianist who wrote the note that apparently killed Stalin. She was the only sympathetic character and had a far more interesting story that "I want to rule! No, I want to rule!"

If not for current events, this movie would have faded into immediate obscurity, famous writer or not.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

I Love the 80's: The Movie (aka Ready Player One) 1/10

Spielberg needs to hang it up. Just when I thought The Post was his low point as a filmmaker, here comes this incompressible wankfest to the Me Decade and narcissistic fanboy culture. Nothing makes sense in this film (The villain wants to kill players to increase his ad revenue? Why would a top tech company choose to place their home base in Ohio? Did the 80's retro movement somehow keep going in 2045 despite the fact that most of the 80's children are now dead?), the motion capture looks terrible, and why did they insist on so many licensed songs? In addition, the film seems to glorify its self-indulgence and actually believes that a group raised on Internet culture and violent video games could actually save the world (I'm sure if given the chance in real life, they would recreate The Purge, make Alex Jones supreme leader, and rename the world WorldlyMcWorldface). Also, I spent more time being convinced Mark Rylance's character was a pedophile instead of the Steve Jobs of the video game industry.

An idea like this needed a Terry Gilliam or someone who could criticize this overly-commercialized world and how it would do more harm than good (and the world already exists, it's called the Internet). Instead, we get this unwatchable and overlong disaster.
Last edited by Buscemi2 on April 2nd, 2018, 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Ready Player One 7/10
For better or worse, this is a textbook example of a film delivering exactly what the trailers promised. This is a vapid, silly film about the specific brand of joy pop culture escapism can offer from the troubles of the real world. Spielberg in his element with this visually-rich material and his gift for staging pure, uncynical spectacle made this a decent time waster for someone like me who isn't a child of the 80's or a huge video game fan.
BRING BRENDAN FRASER BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN DAMN IT
Check out my blog http://maitlandsmadness.blogspot.com/
Movies,Music,Sports and More!

W
Norman Bates

Post by W »

Buscemi2 wrote:I Love the 80's: The Movie (aka Ready Player One) 1/10
As an '80's kid it was pretty cool seeing a Delorean racing a Bigfoot monster truck (which I actually rode in as a kid) while the Jurassic Park T-Rex and King Kong were trying to smash them. I think I liked it a bit more because I'd read (actually listened to Wil Wheaton read) the book, which gives you a greater understanding of all the "whys" you have (the world is a dystopia, geeks are obsessed with what the creators of The Oasis were obsessed with, the creators grew up in the 80's). They changed a ton of stuff from the book, which had to happen for a variety of reasons (time, characters they couldn't get the rights to) while keeping the same feel of the novel. A lot of the gaming culture is fairly spot on from my fairly limited experience with MMORPGs (played the Hell out of the first two Diablos, couldn't get into Warcraft).

The movie is very 80's Spielberg-ian, more so than Stranger Things or Super 8. I watched it in 3D and thought is was well worth the upgrade. For me pretty much everything inside The Oasis was excellent, while most everything outside of it was a letdown. It's supposed to be a nostalgic film and it was marketed as so, so I'm unsure why you're angry about it. A lot of the other things you didn't like seem a bit nit picky to me:

-The tech company is in Ohio because who cares? Wal-Mart is headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas.
-They obviously licensed 80's songs because it's an 80's nostalgia film.
-You're a bit too young to have "kids these days" rants. People have used this since they were hunting mammoths. There are good an bad people in every culture and every generation. I have a hard time believing every generation is worse than the one before it.
-If you're socially awkward, you're a pedophile? I don't believe he even had a scene with a child.
Tenet: Criterion Edition. Now with more Backwards Man.

undeadmonkey
Leon

Post by undeadmonkey »

I agree, you knew you were going to hate the movie. why even watch it...

It was a blast, Like tranny said. It's supposed to be a popcorn film and at least it was different than all the superhero films out there, even if Batman did show up.

numbersix
Darth Vader

Post by numbersix »

undeadmonkey wrote:I agree, you knew you were going to hate the movie. why even watch it....
Which is why, even as a fan of Spielberg's kinetic direction, I'm skipping this one.

However...

Isle of Dogs: 7/10
Wes Anderson's latest may seem like a complete indulgent self-indulgent quirk-fest. I mean, it is a stop-motion animation about all the director's favourite elements of Japanese cinema, but it's still a bawl. It's so well paced, with the plot moving forward quickly and impressively (just like how the Grand Budapest Hotel's direction compensated for the somewhat ropey story and characters). There's lots to enjoy from the main cast, but also the central message does sorta break out of Wes's head and into reality, as it asks us to regard refugees as deeper than the surface. So like his last film it's a strong, fun, slightly shallow film that has just enough of a politically-minded undercurrant to make it feel like more. Also, cute, dogs.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

W wrote:
Buscemi2 wrote:I Love the 80's: The Movie (aka Ready Player One) 1/10
As an '80's kid it was pretty cool seeing a Delorean racing a Bigfoot monster truck (which I actually rode in as a kid) while the Jurassic Park T-Rex and King Kong were trying to smash them. I think I liked it a bit more because I'd read (actually listened to Wil Wheaton read) the book, which gives you a greater understanding of all the "whys" you have (the world is a dystopia, geeks are obsessed with what the creators of The Oasis were obsessed with, the creators grew up in the 80's). They changed a ton of stuff from the book, which had to happen for a variety of reasons (time, characters they couldn't get the rights to) while keeping the same feel of the novel. A lot of the gaming culture is fairly spot on from my fairly limited experience with MMORPGs (played the Hell out of the first two Diablos, couldn't get into Warcraft).

The movie is very 80's Spielberg-ian, more so than Stranger Things or Super 8. I watched it in 3D and thought is was well worth the upgrade. For me pretty much everything inside The Oasis was excellent, while most everything outside of it was a letdown. It's supposed to be a nostalgic film and it was marketed as so, so I'm unsure why you're angry about it. A lot of the other things you didn't like seem a bit nit picky to me:

-The tech company is in Ohio because who cares? Wal-Mart is headquartered in Bentonville, Arkansas.
-They obviously licensed 80's songs because it's an 80's nostalgia film.
-You're a bit too young to have "kids these days" rants. People have used this since they were hunting mammoths. There are good an bad people in every culture and every generation. I have a hard time believing every generation is worse than the one before it.
-If you're socially awkward, you're a pedophile? I don't believe he even had a scene with a child.
You forgot the climax. There's a reason why Halliday was hanging out with his younger self and it was not to relive his childhood.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

Are you seriously trying to imply that Halladay was a pedophile because he programmed a projection of himself to remind the winner of the challenge of what led him to create the Oasis, which happened to be during his childhood? I don't give a shit if you hated the film, but that is an absolutely vile and ludicrous conclusion to jump to.

Buscemi2
Mad Max

Post by Buscemi2 »

These computer people do sick shit all the time and a lot of them get away with it. Look at 4chan, a group of people who do all sorts of horrible things and no one will dare to challenge their actions. A lot of these types are also involved with men's rights and alt-right groups and spout off the most awful and hateful things possible.

A lot of these people are the types who get hero worshipped but deep down, there are unsavory things about them (Steve Jobs stole inventions from other people, Bill Gates was a copyright crusader despite getting his start pirating software, Julian Assange leaked information for personal gain). There was something not right about Halliday and it was not social awkwardness.

transformers2
John Rambo

Post by transformers2 »

This fictional man, who was also probably a Neo-Nazi who ran dog fights, committed all sorts of wire fraud and pushed old ladies into traffic on the weekends, diddled kids because 4chan is a cesspool and real-life tech geniuses have taken credit for other people's ideas and demonstrated selfish/greedy behavior? Very sound theory.